More Estes Non-Rocket Toys

More Estes Non-Rocket Toys

Post by Buzz McDermot » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00



I get more disheartened and disapointed by the day, about Estes Industries. Last night I
picked up a copy of the latest Fine Scale Modeler magazine. Caught this ad for Die Cast
model car dioramas. This was a garage scene. Not my cup 'o tea, so I skipped on past the
page, except a word in the fine print caught my eye. Looked down at the bottom of the page
and there was....

   "Estes Industries, Penrose, CO. (c) 1999 Centuri Corporation".

The rocket company of my youth making and selling die-cast metal cars and dioramam kit?
This is worse than RTF and Cox airplanes. These things don't even FLY!!

If there was ANY doubt that Estes is now just another toy company (though I think there
wasn't) it should now be erased.

Buzz McDermott
Dallas, Texas

 
 
 

More Estes Non-Rocket Toys

Post by Paul Dimin » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

>I get more disheartened and disapointed by the day, about Estes Industries.
Last night I
>picked up a copy of the latest Fine Scale Modeler magazine. Caught this ad
for Die Cast
>model car dioramas. This was a garage scene. Not my cup 'o tea, so I
skipped on past the
>page, except a word in the fine print caught my eye. Looked down at the
bottom of the page
>and there was....

>   "Estes Industries, Penrose, CO. (c) 1999 Centuri Corporation".

I saw that ad too Buzz.  Truly odd.  They appear to be continuing to
diversify.  It would be great if someone from Estes could tell us about
their future plans with regard to their rocketry lines.  I would not like to
see real rockets disappear from the shelves.  At least there are a number of
great mail-order model rocket firms.  Too bad about Boyce...  Is there
anyone at Estes to posts to RMR?  There wasn't a couple of years ago when I
was active.

Paul.

 
 
 

More Estes Non-Rocket Toys

Post by Jon38 » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Quote:


>>I get more disheartened and disapointed by the day, about Estes Industries.
>Last night I
>>picked up a copy of the latest Fine Scale Modeler magazine. Caught this ad
>for Die Cast
>>model car dioramas. This was a garage scene. Not my cup 'o tea, so I
>skipped on past the
>>page, except a word in the fine print caught my eye. Looked down at the
>bottom of the page
>>and there was....

>>   "Estes Industries, Penrose, CO. (c) 1999 Centuri Corporation".

>I saw that ad too Buzz.  Truly odd.  They appear to be continuing to
>diversify.  It would be great if someone from Estes could tell us about
>their future plans with regard to their rocketry lines.  I would not like to
>see real rockets disappear from the shelves.  At least there are a number of
>great mail-order model rocket firms.  Too bad about Boyce...  Is there
>anyone at Estes to posts to RMR?  There wasn't a couple of years ago when I
>was active.

>Paul.

And on a high note........

Saw in the latest issue of "Star Wars Collector" magazine (I think that's what
it's called......no articles, just ads for Star Wars memorabilia), there was an
announcement and photo of a new Star Wars Estes kit, from the new film "Phantom
Menace".  It was a model of the Naboo fighter.  

If anyone has been keeping up with the info coming out about the film, it's the
yellow, twin-forward-pod-with-a-l o n g-trailing-boom-type fighter.  From the
photo, it looks to be another SW RTF, similar to the Y-Wing, which I just saw
recently at my local hobby shop.

From what I understand from what I've read about the movie, this fighter is
more of a ceremonial type than anything that is effective at actual fighting,
therefore, unlike a lot of the SW ships, it's got a factory-fresh finish on it.
 Nice design, but I'd be willing to bet (even though they weren't shown) that
it's gonna need some serious add-on or clear fins.  The only thing finlike on
it is all the way up front, with nothing but a long trailing, tapering to a
point boom at the back end.  As a model rocket, it would be more stable by
putting the motor in the front and flying it backwards.

John O'Donnell  NAR 60742  Sr. L2  CSAR Sec 113
Visit my web page at http://members.aol.com/Jon3854/index.html

"The last man to leave here was never heard from again, he won't be back this
way 'til 2010" - Planet P

 
 
 

More Estes Non-Rocket Toys

Post by Bob Myer » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00


This and a couple others are already listed at Hobbylinc.  Haven't seen them
anywhere else yet, or any actual pictures of the rocket.

New Estes Star Wars rockets at www.hobbylinc.com:
TRD FED BATTLESHIP
Sith Infiltrator
Royal Starship
Naboo Starfighter
Droid Starfighter

Remember the Estes Enterprise with the long nose boom?  I wonder if they're going
to do something like that for the Naboo Starfighter.

I found a drawing of a Naboo Starfighter at
http://www.starwars.com/vehicles/star_fighter/

I have no idea what the other ships look like, or what TRD FED  is.

Quote:

> Saw in the latest issue of "Star Wars Collector" magazine (I think that's what
> it's called......no articles, just ads for Star Wars memorabilia), there was an
> announcement and photo of a new Star Wars Estes kit, from the new film "Phantom
> Menace".  It was a model of the Naboo fighter.

> If anyone has been keeping up with the info coming out about the film, it's the
> yellow, twin-forward-pod-with-a-l o n g-trailing-boom-type fighter.  From the
> photo, it looks to be another SW RTF, similar to the Y-Wing, which I just saw
> recently at my local hobby shop.

> From what I understand from what I've read about the movie, this fighter is
> more of a ceremonial type than anything that is effective at actual fighting,
> therefore, unlike a lot of the SW ships, it's got a factory-fresh finish on it.
>  Nice design, but I'd be willing to bet (even though they weren't shown) that
> it's gonna need some serious add-on or clear fins.  The only thing finlike on
> it is all the way up front, with nothing but a long trailing, tapering to a
> point boom at the back end.  As a model rocket, it would be more stable by
> putting the motor in the front and flying it backwards.

 
 
 

More Estes Non-Rocket Toys

Post by J. Steven Yo » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

>This and a couple others are already listed at Hobbylinc.  Haven't seen them
>anywhere else yet, or any actual pictures of the rocket.

And I doubt you will, until the movie is released.  Lucas is keeping a
very tight lid on things, except for things they've intentionally
"leaked" (the Naboo being one of them).

Quote:

>New Estes Star Wars rockets at www.hobbylinc.com:
>TRD FED BATTLESHIP
>Sith Infiltrator
>Royal Starship
>Naboo Starfighter
>Droid Starfighter

>Remember the Estes Enterprise with the long nose boom?  I wonder if they're going
>to do something like that for the Naboo Starfighter.

Could be.  I'm just afraid it's going to make for an ugly model no
matter how they do it.

Quote:

>I found a drawing of a Naboo Starfighter at
>http://www.starwars.com/vehicles/star_fighter/

>I have no idea what the other ships look like, or what TRD FED  is.

That is probably Trade Federation, a term I've heard bandied about in
discussions of the new movie.

----------------------------------------------------------------
J. Steven York: Science fiction writer, dapper man-about-town
Find out about current and upcoming projects:
http://www.sff.net/people/j-steven-york
Now in stores - CROSSROADS: A Generation X novel