Launch Report and SkyWinder Problem

Launch Report and SkyWinder Problem

Post by David Co » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00



    This past weekend I re-learned a valuable lesson from my young
rocket launching days. If it's been windy all day and then the winds
calm down, it's probably still windy at higher altitudes. We planned on
having a big launch day but we only ended up doing two launches.
1st launch - Estes Skywinder
        My son received this rocket for Christmas and this was the 1st
chance we got          to launch it. We used a C6-5 since this rocket is
heavy and not very aerodynamic. It had a perfect launch to an altitude
of about 500' but when it got to apogee, instead of the nose moving a
little bit forward to release the blades, the nose kept going. I knew I
didn't agree with the instructions saying to use model airplane glue to
hold a cardboard tube onto a plastic part. Luckily, the only damage was
that one fin popped off during the landing. It didn't break, it just
came unglued. This rocket will fly again but will have epoxy joints.

2nd Launch - Estes Bailout
        This rocket has had its glitches, but has been pretty reliable.
We decided to launch it on a C6-5 for the first time. I didn't think
that it would go that high since it's so heavy. Wrong again! I don't
think it hit 1000', but it had to be several hundred. It worked fine but
you could tell wind caught it on the way up and by the time the nose
ejected, it was out of the field. We could tell that the nose and
skydiver (RoboCop) were going to fall across the road and stream. The
rocket would come down a little, then go back up some and meanwhile it
kept drifting. It finally got above a large building (our regional
sports arena) and started dropping. I figured it was lost. We went
looking for it and found Robocop across the road. We kept driving and I
couldn't believe it when I saw the rocket on the other side of that
building in the ice rink. I told my son that we'd have to buy a new nose
cone. On the way back to the launch site a jogger came by and asked if
we'd lost a black nose cone with a streamer on it. He showed us where he
saw it.
    I guess it ended up being an OK day. We left with the same number of
rockets we came with! We didn't launch any more that day. Next up was my
Check Six and I didn't want to risk it with a D12. I re-learned 2
lessons that day. 1st, the above about upper level winds and 2nd, to cut
out the center of parachutes. I used to do this on all rockets as a kid,
but I really liked the look of bailouts big full chutes. We're also
going to start using a bigger field. That should make a big difference.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download
 
 
 

Launch Report and SkyWinder Problem

Post by Skyhow » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>but when it got to apogee, instead of the nose moving a
>little bit forward to release the blades, the nose kept going. I knew I
>didn't agree with the instructions saying to use model airplane glue to
>hold a cardboard tube onto a plastic part.

I use contact cement on my Skywinders for plastic to cardboard.

Quote:
>On the way back to the launch site a jogger came by and asked if
>we'd lost a black nose cone with a streamer on it. He showed us where he
>saw it.

Tie the nose cone to the rocket.

 
 
 

Launch Report and SkyWinder Problem

Post by J. Cowle » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00


After reading the message about the nose popping off a Estes Skywinder I was
somewhat worried about sending mine up on it's first flight today. I figured
a B6-4 would give me a good idea about how it would react (I know it's only
supposed to have a B6-2, but the B6-4's were all I had) I didn't like the
idea of the plastic retainer cemented to a paper tube using plastic model
glue. The flight went okay... I was suprised it flew as high as it did
considering how much the model weighs, and the ejection charge blew the nose
forward releasing the rotors like it was supposed to. I'm just glad I
decided to give the rocket a good inspection before sticking it back on the
pad. I found that the nose cone retainer was sticking about half it's length
out of the BT. Guess I got some work to do now.

Jeff