LOC Aura

LOC Aura

Post by turco.. » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00



I'm dreaming of the day I'll put some 38mm motors in my LOC Aura. If
you've done it, REPLY! because I want to know what it does

 
 
 

LOC Aura

Post by Karl von Jen » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>I'm dreaming of the day I'll put some 38mm motors in my LOC Aura. If
>you've done it, REPLY! because I want to know what it does

My only experience with the Aura is on a G40 (29mm), and I didn't get it
all back. At ejection, the shock cord burned through (it was black on the
frayed end) even though I had used a fair ammount of wadding. I was
wondering why the chute was decending so slowly until I realized that it
was only attached to the nosecone. Never did find the body...

Doh!

It worked out well in the end, because I lost the nosecone off of my LOC
Legacy on the very next launch. 6 people combed the area but not a trace
of the bright white nosecone...

If you're going to put a 38mm motor in it, I think you'll have problems.
First, the fins are surface mounts and stand a good chance of being
stripped. Second, the extra weight/thrust of the motor migh affect the
CG/CP relationship and make the rocket unstable.

I'd lengthen the rocket or add weight to the nosecone and replace the
fins with a through-the-wall fin mount.

It would be one hell of a launch though. The thrust-to-weight of that
launch would make the Aura disapear off the pad and it should get some
serious altitude on a long-burn motor.

Karl

 
 
 

LOC Aura

Post by Jack Go » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00



<snip>

Quote:
>If you're going to put a 38mm motor in it, I think you'll have problems.
>First, the fins are surface mounts and stand a good chance of being
>stripped. Second, the extra weight/thrust of the motor migh affect the
>CG/CP relationship and make the rocket unstable.
>I'd lengthen the rocket or add weight to the nosecone and replace the
>fins with a through-the-wall fin mount.

A little weight would be a good idea.  Thru-the-wall fins aren't
possible, because with a 38mm motor you have a minimum diameter
rocket.  No place to go through to!

Quote:
>It would be one hell of a launch though. The thrust-to-weight of that
>launch would make the Aura disapear off the pad and it should get some
>serious altitude on a long-burn motor.

I saw a guy put an Aura up on a Vulcan I283 !!  It separated at
ejection, but the next month we found the airframe, fins, and motor
still intact.  The motor had partially ejected, causing it to
spin/tumble back down, and it snapped one fin off when it hit the
ground.  The other two were still attached.  They were epoxied only,
no fiberglass.

And yes, when it was launched all we saw was a puff of smoke, then it
basically disappeared.

Jack

 
 
 

LOC Aura

Post by Peter G. Olivo » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>I'm dreaming of the day I'll put some 38mm motors in my LOC Aura. If
>you've done it, REPLY! because I want to know what it does

LOC makes/(made?) a version of the Legacy as a 38mm minimum diameter
altitude bird.  It uses partial slots in the airframe tube and fiberglass
fins.  It is a very high performance bird requiring lots of clear space and
good eyes (preferably many) to recover the rocket.

The Aura is too short for 38mm motors and is a likely candidate for the
stable/unstable/stable flight profile phenomenon discussed here a couple of
months ago.  I'd strongly recommend against it.
--