>I just built and lost a Stovi. I modified the outboards for BP
>engines and used the center tube for the ejection charge.
>I went with an E30-4 because I wanted to test the rocket with a small
>motor. Don't do this. The first launch cleared the pad, made it
>about 300 feet off the ground, and popped the 'chute with just enough
>time to recover safely.
I would think an E30 wouldn't even get this thing 300 feet up. This
thing is _heavy_!! Maybe mine's got a thicker nose cone or transition.
>My opinion is that the Stovi looks cool but is severely handicapped by
>a too-small motor mount. Remember, the Stovi is pretty tail-heavy
>with marginal fin area. If you cluster it you will have to add nose
>weight to compensate. The rocket is heavy enough that if you cluster
>it and have a failure you will be flying a very heavy, underpowered
>rocket with an armored nose cone.
I agree about the too small motor mount, and the CP/CG relationship.
The last line above is the one that worries me.
>Here's what I suggest. I think LOC is right, your chances of igniting
>one AP and six BP motors at the same time are pretty low.
I was thinking of venting all of the tubes into the 3" body, so even if
the core didn't ignite it would eject. That assumes that all of the motors
are the same (or about the same), and that the model can still safely
fly if one or more _don't_ ignite. It does get tricky.
>with F or G reloadables and you should be fine. Better yet, cut away
>part of the interior sections of the outside tubes and put in a 29mm
>center mount. You should still have just enough room for six 18mm
>motors in the outboards. This way you can launch with G and H engines
>and use C BP or D composites in the outboards. A G or H will have
>enough excess power to fly even if all six outboards fail to light.
I was thinking of putting in a 29mm core tube, and either using 18mm
tubes around the outside or cutting the 24mm ones (I'd rather save them
for motor mounts and use 18mm tubes though). If I go that route I'll
probably airstart the outboards.
Thanks for the feedback!