Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by Ted Cochr » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00



I'd modified the Saturn V to use four C6-0s around the E18 core, and left
the nozzles in place.

Staging was accomplished with pop-out fins (details below) for the SII and
the SIV, and the CSM used its own Micromaxx.

The idea was to have each piece come down on its own chute(s), except for
the LEM, which used a streamer to orient it and a A10-0T as a retro rocket
(followed by a Micromaxx re-launch of the ascent stage).

After three hours of careful preparation and two runs through the onboard
test software (see web site below), I loaded it onto its custom pad.  We
took the requisite pictures and video tape, and then backed away.

The sky was the bluest I had ever seen it, and the wind was dead calm.
Two hundred of my closest friends and team mates waited expectantly as the
LCO cleared the range, and then waited some more until we could get the
FAA to order  the press helicopter out of the way.

The frost on the booster  from the dry ice looked exactly like the real
thing.  I could almost imagine Walter Cronkite's live commentary.

The countdown commenced.

5  The onboard start sequence took over...
4
3   the SFX pyrodex lit, and smoke rolled out from under the booster...
2
1 The E 18 started smoking...
0

But I forgot, I'm getting ahead of myself-- I met Bob Fortune--what a
character he is.  Everything you'd imagine.  He even complimented me on my
paint job.

All in all it was a wonderful time.

--tc

My opinions only.

 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by Mark S. Morle » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00


What web site???!? Where's the rest of the Report??!?
I haven't felt this way since a certain date in a Ford Pinto in 1985!!!
]\/[ark

PS Is there a name for this condition?  Lauchers Lugs? Blue Rod?

Quote:

> I'd modified the Saturn V to use four C6-0s around the E18 core, and left
> the nozzles in place.

> Staging was accomplished with pop-out fins (details below) for the SII and
> the SIV, and the CSM used its own Micromaxx.

> The idea was to have each piece come down on its own chute(s), except for
> the LEM, which used a streamer to orient it and a A10-0T as a retro rocket
> (followed by a Micromaxx re-launch of the ascent stage).

> After three hours of careful preparation and two runs through the onboard
> test software (see web site below), I loaded it onto its custom pad.  We
> took the requisite pictures and video tape, and then backed away.

> The sky was the bluest I had ever seen it, and the wind was dead calm.
> Two hundred of my closest friends and team mates waited expectantly as the
> LCO cleared the range, and then waited some more until we could get the
> FAA to order  the press helicopter out of the way.

> The frost on the booster  from the dry ice looked exactly like the real
> thing.  I could almost imagine Walter Cronkite's live commentary.

> The countdown commenced.

> 5  The onboard start sequence took over...
> 4
> 3   the SFX pyrodex lit, and smoke rolled out from under the booster...
> 2
> 1 The E 18 started smoking...
> 0

> But I forgot, I'm getting ahead of myself-- I met Bob Fortune--what a
> character he is.  Everything you'd imagine.  He even complimented me on my
> paint job.

> All in all it was a wonderful time.

> --tc

> My opinions only.


 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by Stephen DeArma » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00


snip

Way to go Ted! Don't you love it when all 5 ignite? Quite a bit
different than the single D12-3 huh? My 5 engine doesn't waste any time
getting off the rod and my center engine is a D. I bet the E really
kicks.

Congrats!

Trust No One
Randy

 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by bob » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Quote:
> All in all it was a wonderful time.

> --tc

> My opinions only.

Hey Ted,

Glad you had a great time, sorry that the CO2 burned the tip of your
nose as you were loading the rocket onto the pad.

Very nice, in-depth report, I hung on every word.  Website is well-done
as well, I can see you spent a lot of time on the graphics and
instructions.  Where can I find that terrific CAD program you used and
might you have a link for the microservos?

Thanks

Bob

 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by Vinc » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Where's his website?   I have to see this Saturn V!


Quote:
> Hey Ted,

> Glad you had a great time, sorry that the CO2 burned the tip of your
> nose as you were loading the rocket onto the pad.

> Very nice, in-depth report, I hung on every word.  Website is well-done
> as well, I can see you spent a lot of time on the graphics and
> instructions.  Where can I find that terrific CAD program you used and
> might you have a link for the microservos?

 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by Jim Z number » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Hmmm....I'm not sure, but I think I just felt someone pulling my leg. Did you
feel it too? ;-)

      Jim Z "#2"

...he said "you must be joking son,
where did you get those shoes?"
                         - S. Dan

 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by Mark S. Morle » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Who cares?  It's like a "Penthouse Forum" story, except it left you
***.
My wife: "That didn't really happen."
Me: "Good story man."

My friend: "HEY, that happened to me, not you."
Me: "Shut up, you're screwing up my story; besides, you don't tell it
right."

]\/[ark


Quote:
> Hmmm....I'm not sure, but I think I just felt someone pulling my leg. Did you
> feel it too? ;-)
>       Jim Z "#2"
> ...he said "you must be joking son,
> where did you get those shoes?"
>                          - S. Dan

 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by Andrew Waddel » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Felt him not only pulling my leg, he tore it completely off! Owwy!

--
Andrew D. Waddell
PML Online Support Rep
TRA 2043 L2/NAR 52875 L2

PML: www.publicmissiles.com



Quote:
> Hmmm....I'm not sure, but I think I just felt someone pulling my leg. Did
you
> feel it too? ;-)

>       Jim Z "#2"

> ...he said "you must be joking son,
> where did you get those shoes?"
>                          - S. Dan

 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by Stephen DeArma » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00



Quote:

> Hmmm....I'm not sure, but I think I just felt someone pulling my leg.

What are you talking about? It really happened...just the way he said. I
uh...uh... saw it on CNN, yeah that's the ticket, CNN, right after the
interview with Bin Laden, who by the way, is presently looking to enroll
in the cruise missle program at NASA. He said Clinton was going to
pardon all his buddies so Hiliary can pick up a few votes.

Got to go. The black helicopters are coming back. SShhh!

Trust No One
Randy

 
 
 

Flight Report: Saturn V launch at Livermore

Post by John H. Cato, Jr » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
>Very nice, in-depth report, I hung on every word.  Website is well-done
>as well, I can see you spent a lot of time on the graphics and
>instructions.  Where can I find that terrific CAD program you used and
>might you have a link for the microservos?

Bob, I'll make a deal with you...

... I'll do all your CAD work for free if you'll tell me (or wrangle it out
of Ted) just WHERE you guys found those *turbopumps*?!?!?  Marvelous
engineering -- would put OS (or Enya) to shame.

-- john.