Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Post by Rhhick » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 05:04:14



I got 2 of Bob's paper parachutes with an assortment of other items from him,
but  have yet to try them out. 2 or 3 of the recent launches have been plagued
by intense winds. They look well constructed-true hemisphere, sewn panels-yes
sewn paper, I did a double-take at first sight. ANYWAY, has anyone tried these
out?  --  Richard
 
 
 

Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Post by Jim Yan » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 06:53:17




Quote:
>I got 2 of Bob's paper parachutes with an assortment of other items from
>him, but  have yet to try them out. 2 or 3 of the recent launches have
>been plagued by intense winds. They look well constructed-true
>hemisphere, sewn panels-yes sewn paper, I did a double-take at first
>sight. ANYWAY, has anyone tried these out?  --  Richard

Would they be made of Tyvek,that paper used for envelopes that is almost
impossible to rip open? Any problems with them taking a 'set' ?
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove X to contact me

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Post by Rhhick » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:54:09


Not Tyvec, but seemingly something in the family of tissue paper or rice paper.
My main concern is them ripping to shreds on deployment, but these are sewn,
surplus chutes that served some real purpose. SAY BOB, do you know what purpose
the paper chutes originally served?  --  Richard
 
 
 

Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Post by Fred Shecte » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:33:34


Flare parachutes according to the surplus store that sells them near me.
(Same store where "You-Know-Who" bought them for his kits).

Is that store in Claremont, Montclair or Pomona?

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117


Quote:
> Not Tyvec, but seemingly something in the family of tissue paper or rice
paper.
> My main concern is them ripping to shreds on deployment, but these are
sewn,
> surplus chutes that served some real purpose. SAY BOB, do you know what
purpose
> the paper chutes originally served?  --  Richard

 
 
 

Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Post by bob fortun » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:09:33


Quote:

> Not Tyvec, but seemingly something in the family of tissue paper or rice paper.
> My main concern is them ripping to shreds on deployment, but these are sewn,
> surplus chutes that served some real purpose. SAY BOB, do you know what purpose
> the paper chutes originally served?  --  Richard

Hey Richard,

They were for flares or smokes.  Little ones.  The chute is almost a
tissue paper but stronger, the suspension lines are cotton and the
single riser is something that doesn't burn - what I don't know.  If
you're concerned about burning the canopy and lines that Christmas tree
fire retardent or plain old boric acid in water works well when sprayed
on and allowed to dry.

I had a much larger one, about 3' diameter, that deployed real late on
an almost ballistic trajectory and the chute hung together.  I was
amazed.  

For the money they're pretty good.  Not the ultimate answer in recovery
fabric technology but well made nonetheless. Since they were meant for
signal flares they were designed as a one shot deal and not intended to
be flown repeatedly - but some people have a bunch of flights on them.
It's an alternative to a plastic parachute.  

What's also neat is when used in flare applications the chute acts like
a little hot air balloon capturing the heat from the flare causing hang
time to go way up.  This, of course, is not germane to hobby rocketry though.

Bob
http://www.aeroconsystems.com

 
 
 

Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Post by Jerry Irvi » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:27:38



Quote:

> Not Tyvec, but seemingly something in the family of tissue paper or rice
paper.
> My main concern is them ripping to shreds on deployment, but these are sewn,
> surplus chutes that served some real purpose. SAY BOB, do you know what
purpose
> the paper chutes originally served?  --  Richard

Flares.

And model rockets when at least a foot of elastic is tied to the chute.

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California USA

Bring common sense back to rocketry administration.

 
 
 

Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Post by Jerry Irvi » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:27:58



Quote:

> Flare parachutes according to the surplus store that sells them near me.
> (Same store where "You-Know-Who" bought them for his kits).

> Is that store in Claremont, Montclair or Pomona?

> -Fred Shecter NAR 20117



> > Not Tyvec, but seemingly something in the family of tissue paper or rice
> paper.
> > My main concern is them ripping to shreds on deployment, but these are
> sewn,
> > surplus chutes that served some real purpose. SAY BOB, do you know what
> purpose
> > the paper chutes originally served?  --  Richard

Pomona.

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California USA

Bring common sense back to rocketry administration.

 
 
 

Who's tried Bob Fortune's Paper Parachutes?

Post by Jerry Irvi » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:26:52



Quote:

> I got 2 of Bob's paper parachutes with an assortment of other items from him,
> but  have yet to try them out. 2 or 3 of the recent launches have been plagued
> by intense winds. They look well constructed-true hemisphere, sewn panels-yes
> sewn paper, I did a double-take at first sight. ANYWAY, has anyone tried these
> out?  --  Richard

These are U.S. Rockets chutes.

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California USA

Bring common sense back to rocketry administration.