ACL Caboose in Purple Colors

ACL Caboose in Purple Colors

Post by Joseph F. Haen » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00



Did the Atlantic Coast Line ever paint their cabooses in the purple paint
scheme?  If so, can anyone point me to some color photographs of such a
caboose?

TIA,
Joe
--
Joseph F. Haenn       404 Shetland Road
                   Rougemont, NC  27572
Joe's Train Repair
"Specializing in S Gauge"
American Models Dealer
American Flyer Parts Dealer
S-Helper Service (Showcase Line) Dealer

 
 
 

ACL Caboose in Purple Colors

Post by Jims » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00


The Atlantic Coast Line painted their caboosed red with black roof and white
lettering until the middle 1960s when the ACL switched to orange with black
lettering with the introduction of its steel cabooses.  As far as I know ACL
wood cabooses were always red.

Jim Six

 
 
 

ACL Caboose in Purple Colors

Post by Andrew Harmanta » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
> Did the Atlantic Coast Line ever paint their cabooses in the purple paint
> scheme?  If so, can anyone point me to some color photographs of such a
> caboose?______________________

I don't think so
 
 
 

ACL Caboose in Purple Colors

Post by Hewl » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00


I don't believe they ever painted a caboose in purple & silver.
But they did paint a couple of wooden cabooses white with black roof.  The
lettering on these was arranged like on the red cabooses, but was in
black.Their new(then) slogan "Thanks For Using Coast Line" was applied along
the bottom of the sides in red.  As the old wooden cabooses were rebuilt in
steel, they were painted orange with this same slogan on the sides in black, as
was the rest of the lettering.

 
 
 

ACL Caboose in Purple Colors

Post by DBlake70 » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>But they did paint a couple of wooden cabooses white with black roof.  The

lettering on these was arranged like on the red cabooses, but was in
black.Their new(then) slogan "Thanks For Using Coast Line" was applied along
the bottom of the sides in red.  As the old wooden cabooses were rebuilt in
steel, they were painted orange with this same slogan on the sides in black,
as was the rest of the lettering.

You are partially correct on this one.  There was one caboose painted white and
assigned to use on ACL piggyback trains.  The wooden cabeese were not rebuilt
with steel sides.  They were overlayed with plywood and it looked like steel.  
The first cabeese to get the orange paint were the home built, from box cars,
M5.  I know of no ACL wood caboose that was ever painted orange.  

ACL caboose decals are available from Microscale and include the lettering for
the white caboose and the standard red and then the later orange as well.

Denis F. Blake
SEMRA
TTHOTS

 
 
 

ACL Caboose in Purple Colors

Post by Jims » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Denis Blake is right in what he posted about th eACL M3 wood cabooses not being
rebuilt in steel.  As Denis said, it was plywood sheathing.

American Model Builders will offer a kit for the Atlantic Coast Line M3 class
wood caboose late this year.  It will be of laser cut wood construction with a
plastic underframe, trucks, etc.  This kit will be a boon to us ACL and C&WC
modelers!

Jim Six

 
 
 

ACL Caboose in Purple Colors

Post by DBlake70 » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>American Model Builders will offer a kit for the Atlantic Coast Line M3 class

wood caboose late this year.  It will be of laser cut wood construction with a
plastic underframe, trucks, etc.  This kit will be a boon to us ACL and C&WC
modelers!

Quote:
>Jim Six

First off, who is this Jim guy?  Anyone know him?

Yes, AMB is doing an ACL M3 but first they are going to be doing a SAL 5CC car.
 These should be out anytime.

Denis F. Blake
SEMRA
TTHOTS