Cheap Tall Grass.

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Gerard Pawlows » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:17:47



Dear folks,
    You can make very cheap tall grass if you have a way to get a
lot of old baler twine.  New twine will also work, but the old
stuff is stiff and frayed after all the use it's gone through.
Plant it in small, drilled holes, or in a plaster field.  It looks
much better than ground foam, though foam is good for small weeds.
                                        Cordially yours,
                                          Gerard P.
 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Beowul » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 03:45:02


salv


Quote:
> Dear folks,
>     You can make very cheap tall grass if you have a way to get a
> lot of old baler twine.  New twine will also work, but the old
> stuff is stiff and frayed after all the use it's gone through.
> Plant it in small, drilled holes, or in a plaster field.  It looks
> much better than ground foam, though foam is good for small weeds.
>                                         Cordially yours,
>                                           Gerard P.

Dear Gerard,
    Sadly here in Sweden, they roll the hay in balls of blue plastic, baler
twine is almost a thing for a museum :( sounds like a good idea though :)
Beowulf

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Trainma » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 04:46:27



Quote:
> salv


> > Dear folks,
> >     You can make very cheap tall grass if you have a way to get a
> > lot of old baler twine.  New twine will also work, but the old
> > stuff is stiff and frayed after all the use it's gone through.
> > Plant it in small, drilled holes, or in a plaster field.  It looks
> > much better than ground foam, though foam is good for small weeds.
> >                                         Cordially yours,
> >                                           Gerard P.
> Dear Gerard,
>     Sadly here in Sweden, they roll the hay in balls of blue plastic,
baler
> twine is almost a thing for a museum :( sounds like a good idea though :)
> Beowulf

Can you still get Sisal twine or plain old hemp rope?  I use the rope,
unravel the "threads" cut pieces about 1/2" long and plant them in full
strength white glue ("Elmer's" in the USA, I'm sure you have an equivalent)

Don

--

http://www.geocities.com/don_dellmann



http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/MRPics

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by cat » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:39:19


On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:46:27 GMT, "Trainman"

Quote:
>Can you still get Sisal twine or plain old hemp rope?  I use the rope,
>unravel the "threads" cut pieces about 1/2" long and plant them in full
>strength white glue ("Elmer's" in the USA, I'm sure you have an equivalent)

        Sadly this method results in "grass" about as big around as a
person's leg in N scale. For tall grass in N try some hair (human,
animal or from a wig or old doll) This is also closer to scale in HO
as well.

                                                                cat

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by JCuningt » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:44:25


Quote:
>Dear Gerard,
>    Sadly here in Sweden, they roll the hay in balls of blue plastic, baler
>twine is almost a thing for a museum :( sounds like a good idea though :)
>Beowulf

Jute or fiber string/rope should work. I assume that can still be had.

Jay
C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955
remove "ponent" to reply

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Dave » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:20:58



grafitti on my boxcar saying:

Quote:
>On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:46:27 GMT, "Trainman"

>>Can you still get Sisal twine or plain old hemp rope?  I use the rope,
>>unravel the "threads" cut pieces about 1/2" long and plant them in full
>>strength white glue ("Elmer's" in the USA, I'm sure you have an equivalent)

>    Sadly this method results in "grass" about as big around as a
>person's leg in N scale. For tall grass in N try some hair (human,
>animal or from a wig or old doll) This is also closer to scale in HO
>as well.

>                                                            cat

Mohair (AKA fur on your favorite Teddy Bear) can be found in doll
repair shops in many colors. or just do an online search.  
bob
 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by E Litell » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:36:34


Quote:

>  For tall grass in N try some hair (human,
> animal or from a wig or old doll)

Or from a cat?  (pardon if you've lost yours)
 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by no longer not on The Haggi » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 20:09:29


Quote:

> Mohair (AKA fur on your favorite Teddy Bear) can be found in doll
> repair shops in many colors. or just do an online search.
> bob

Or a mohair suit.  You know I read it in a magazine....

:D

Kennedy

--
-------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by JCuningt » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 02:09:36


Quote:
>Mohair (AKA fur on your favorite Teddy Bear) can be found in doll
>repair shops in many colors. or just do an online search.  

How many moes do they have to kill to put hair on a teddy bear?

Jay
C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955
remove "ponent" to reply

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Bruce Favinge » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 04:14:47


Horse hair from the main and tail works great. Very tough and resilient
especially if you want some weeds between the rails. Bruce


Quote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:46:27 GMT, "Trainman"

> >Can you still get Sisal twine or plain old hemp rope?  I use the rope,
> >unravel the "threads" cut pieces about 1/2" long and plant them in full
> >strength white glue ("Elmer's" in the USA, I'm sure you have an
equivalent)

> Sadly this method results in "grass" about as big around as a
> person's leg in N scale. For tall grass in N try some hair (human,
> animal or from a wig or old doll) This is also closer to scale in HO
> as well.

> cat

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Frank A. Rosenbau » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 06:56:07


--
From the computer of
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Quote:
> >Mohair (AKA fur on your favorite Teddy Bear) can be found in doll
> >repair shops in many colors. or just do an online search.

> How many moes do they have to kill to put hair on a teddy bear?

You don't have to kill any moes, they shed, just like the Nauga's.
Quote:

> Jay
> C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955
> remove "ponent" to reply

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Duncan McEwa » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:02:15


Another useful source is Fly Tying suppliers. Lot of
deer hair used in fly tying. Also lots of other interesting
tools and bits an pieces of stuff.

duncan


Quote:
> Horse hair from the main and tail works great. Very tough and resilient
> especially if you want some weeds between the rails. Bruce



> > On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:46:27 GMT, "Trainman"

> > >Can you still get Sisal twine or plain old hemp rope?  I use the rope,
> > >unravel the "threads" cut pieces about 1/2" long and plant them in full
> > >strength white glue ("Elmer's" in the USA, I'm sure you have an
> equivalent)

> > Sadly this method results in "grass" about as big around as a
> > person's leg in N scale. For tall grass in N try some hair (human,
> > animal or from a wig or old doll) This is also closer to scale in HO
> > as well.

> > cat

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Bil » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:14:48


How many moes do they have to kill to put hair on a teddy bear?

Frank Rosenbaum replied:
You don't have to kill any moes, they shed, just like the Nauga's.
-------------------------------------------------

Thanks Jay and Frank. We needed a bit of humor for a change.

Bill
Bill's Railroad Empire
N Scale Model Railroad:
http://www.billsrailroad.net
Brief History of N Scale:
http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale
Resources: Links to over 400 helpful sites:
http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Frank A. Rosenbau » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:58:59


--
From the computer of
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Quote:


> How many moes do they have to kill to put hair on a teddy bear?

> Frank Rosenbaum replied:
> You don't have to kill any moes, they shed, just like the Nauga's.
> -------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Jay and Frank. We needed a bit of humor for a change.

My pleasure, Bill. I still haven't seen any Nauga's though. Those Nauga hide
very well.
Quote:
> Bill
> Bill's Railroad Empire
> N Scale Model Railroad:
> http://www.billsrailroad.net
> Brief History of N Scale:
> http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale
> Resources: Links to over 400 helpful sites:
> http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
> Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html

 
 
 

Cheap Tall Grass.

Post by Bil » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:33:46


How many moes do they have to kill to put hair on a teddy bear?
Frank Rosenbaum replied:
You don't have to kill any moes, they shed, just like the Nauga's.
----------------------------------------------
Thanks Jay and Frank. We needed a bit of humor for a change.
My pleasure, Bill. I still haven't seen any Nauga's though. Those Nauga
hide very well.
------------------------------------------------------

No wonder I don't see many of them!<g>

Bill
Bill's Railroad Empire
N Scale Model Railroad:
http://www.billsrailroad.net
Brief History of N Scale:
http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale
Resources: Links to over 400 helpful sites:
http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html