N Scale Life Like E8 vs Kato E8 & Kato Eurostar

N Scale Life Like E8 vs Kato E8 & Kato Eurostar

Post by JeffLund » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 13:25:55



I picked up the new Life Like E-8 and, I've got to say, the Kato version
still wins hands down.  The Life Like runs decently, but the dimensions
don't seem correct.  The Kato is $20 more expensive, but the detail and
the running is significantly better.  Where Life Like beats Kato is in
producing more paint schemes.  The engine is not bad (I still think their
GP-18 is a winner); it's just not great.

I recently picked up the Kato Eurostar set, after having ridden the real
thing between London and Brussels.  As you'd expect, the Kato is superb -
the paint scheme is perfect, the details are crisp and the train runs
beautifully.  There are even red lights at the rear of the trainset,
depending on which direction it's going!

I model the Union Pacific and Amtrak, so what I'm doing with this train is
beyond me, but I love it!

Jeff Lunden

 
 
 

N Scale Life Like E8 vs Kato E8 & Kato Eurostar

Post by Dennis Rockwe » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 23:26:10


Quote:

>I recently picked up the Kato Eurostar set, after having ridden the real
>thing between London and Brussels.  As you'd expect, the Kato is superb -
>the paint scheme is perfect, the details are crisp and the train runs
>beautifully.  There are even red lights at the rear of the trainset,
>depending on which direction it's going!

The pictures I've seen (mostly in Railway magazine) indicate
that there's a car with grillwork on the side (like the loco
and first car) way back in the half-train, and no indication
of a car with "diner" windows, as appears in Kato's add-on
set.  Have I only seen pictures of one side of the train?
Or did Kato mess up on this detail?

Otherwise, yes, it looks gorgeous.

Quote:
>I model the Union Pacific and Amtrak, so what I'm doing with this train is
>beyond me, but I love it!

My planned layout won't have any two passenger trains in the
same livery.  Don't sweat it...
--

Open Software Foundation
Research Institute              +1-617-621-7268
Cambridge, MA                   +1-617-621-3156 (fax)

 
 
 

N Scale Life Like E8 vs Kato E8 & Kato Eurostar

Post by Steven W. Hank » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 03:52:07


One area where the Life Like does beat the Kato is in pulling
power.  At a recent N-trak meet we did some side by side com

comparisons and believe it or not the Life Like had significantly
greater tractive effort than the Kato (despite having 4 wheel
rather than 6 wheel drive).

--

 
 
 

N Scale Life Like E8 vs Kato E8 & Kato Eurostar

Post by JeffLund » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 05:48:48


Quote:
Dennis Rockwell writes:
>The pictures I've seen (mostly in Railway magazine) indicate
>that there's a car with grillwork on the side (like the loco
>and first car) way back in the half-train, and no indication
>of a car with "diner" windows, as appears in Kato's add-on
>set.  Have I only seen pictures of one side of the train?
>Or did Kato mess up on this detail?

From the looks of it, Kato is not producing replicas of the buffet cars,
at present.  There are 2 buffet cars, by the way, in each Eurostar 18 car
trainset.
Jeff Lunden
 
 
 

N Scale Life Like E8 vs Kato E8 & Kato Eurostar

Post by Dennis Rockwe » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 23:07:04


Quote:

>Dennis Rockwell writes:
>>The pictures I've seen (mostly in Railway magazine) indicate
>>that there's a car with grillwork on the side (like the loco
>>and first car) way back in the half-train, and no indication
>>of a car with "diner" windows, as appears in Kato's add-on
>>set.  Have I only seen pictures of one side of the train?
>>Or did Kato mess up on this detail?

>From the looks of it, Kato is not producing replicas of the buffet cars,
>at present.  There are 2 buffet cars, by the way, in each Eurostar 18 car
>trainset.

Umm, are you saying that the grillwork car is the buffet,
and Kato mis-represented it with diner-style windows?  This
had been my impression from comparing the pictures and the
model.

--

Open Software Foundation
Research Institute              +1-617-621-7268
Cambridge, MA                   +1-617-621-3156 (fax)