How to simulate grass cheaply? Beginer!

How to simulate grass cheaply? Beginer!

Post by ryan dar » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00



I'm new to model railroads, and am trying to build my first
layout.  I'm trying to find a way to simulate grass.  I
know that it cam be bought at model shops, but I live in a
small desert town, 500km away from any model shop!  I
thought about sawdust colored somehow?  I would be very
grateful for any ideas.  Thanks,

Ryan Darby

Prince Albert
South Africa

 
 
 

How to simulate grass cheaply? Beginer!

Post by xy » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00


Quote:
> ...I'm trying to find a way to simulate grass.

OK, I'll start this out. Commercially-available "grass" (e.g., Woodland
Scenics) is a hair product; seems like any kind of fine hair should do,
suitably dyed. Probably the hair could be bleached first (using any available
hair bleach), then dyed with fabric dyes.

 
 
 

How to simulate grass cheaply? Beginer!

Post by JimVi » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

>> ...I'm trying to find a way to simulate grass.

>OK, I'll start this out. Commercially-available "grass" (e.g., Woodland

Saw an article in a recent MR (I think it was MR) on how to use "fake fur"
It looked good and may have possibilities.

                            Good Old Jim

I used to cry 'cause I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet!

 
 
 

How to simulate grass cheaply? Beginer!

Post by John Tim » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

> I'm new to model railroads, and am trying to build my first
> layout.  I'm trying to find a way to simulate grass.  I
> know that it cam be bought at model shops, but I live in a
> small desert town, 500km away from any model shop!  I
> thought about sawdust colored somehow?  I would be very
> grateful for any ideas.  Thanks,

> Ryan Darby

> Prince Albert
> South Africa

Ryan--

Long before anybody heard of Woodland Scenics grass or anything that
fancy, we made grass from sawdust, just as you propose.  In a shallow
pan mix an appropriate shade of cloth dye (Rit brand here in the U.S.)
with very fine sawdust--you may want to sift it several times.

After stirring to make sure that the color mixes evenly, you can dry
it carefully in an oven or let it dry naturally.  Paint the layout
surface with either an earth tone, or a complementary shade of green.
Spread the sawdust mixture with a sifter onto the wet paint.  When it
dries you have pretty decent grass.  

It's not state-of-the-art, but it's what a lot of us did for decades.

John Timm

 
 
 

How to simulate grass cheaply? Beginer!

Post by Nigel Clif » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00



Quote:


> > I'm new to model railroads, and am trying to build my first
> > layout.  I'm trying to find a way to simulate grass.  I
> > know that it cam be bought at model shops, but I live in a
> > small desert town, 500km away from any model shop!  I
> > thought about sawdust colored somehow?  I would be very
> > grateful for any ideas.  Thanks,

> > Ryan Darby

> > Prince Albert
> > South Africa

> Ryan--

> Long before anybody heard of Woodland Scenics grass or anything that
> fancy, we made grass from sawdust, just as you propose.  In a shallow
> pan mix an appropriate shade of cloth dye (Rit brand here in the U.S.)
> with very fine sawdust--you may want to sift it several times.

> After stirring to make sure that the color mixes evenly, you can dry
> it carefully in an oven or let it dry naturally.  Paint the layout
> surface with either an earth tone, or a complementary shade of green.
> Spread the sawdust mixture with a sifter onto the wet paint.  When it
> dries you have pretty decent grass.  

> It's not state-of-the-art, but it's what a lot of us did for decades.

Or somewhat more advanced, and much better results come from lint.

Get a sheet of lint (medical supplier should have it, something which
failed the sterile tests is ideal 'cos it will be cheap!).
Dye the lint with cloth dye to a suitable green. Paint the surface of the
scenery a mixture of earth and grass tones. Stick the lint to the scenery
with glue, hairy side down. When dry , rip the lint sheet up, it should
leave a hairy surface stuck to the ground. (For some surfaces, sticking it
down hairy side up, then careful application of a wire brush when dry
gives a excellent result).

Improve the colours with a little bit of paint here and there - either
fine brush, or airbrush. Alter the texture by careful application of a
wire brush.

Finally, add odd bits of detailed rough using dyed sawdust, dyed ground
foam ***, or bought in scenic  material. Individual long weeds can be
added from single strands of untwisted "hairy" string.

- Nigel.

--

   Opinions my own, they may or may not be shared by my employers