Beginer need advise

Beginer need advise

Post by hilm » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00



I am thinking of starting with a small scale model. Haven't decided
weather
HO or N, but mostly its going to be N, considering the space.  can
anyone/all of you answer these questions please?

1.  Is there a big cost differecnce between the two scales?

2.  Does it really get hard to work with N scale compared to HO?

3. what will be the best way to go, a started set or individual
components,
( At this moment, I am not specific about the theme, which will come
later)
My layout will probably look like an "Eight" plus some sidings:
eg.

/www.atlasrr.com/products/fanlayout/nlayout/n5.html

4. what are the best starter set ( an advanced starter set) available?

5. how about marklin sets?? what other ad/dis advantages??

Thanks
nady

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

 
 
 

Beginer need advise

Post by MEAT » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Quote:
>1.  Is there a big cost differecnce between the two scales?

Not really.  HO does tend to be a little cheaper.  You have to remember that
you get what you pay for.  Don't consider the economics of the matter.  Select
a scale based on what you are comfortable with, and have space for.  You can
start cheap in either scale, and add better equipment, later, as money allows.

Quote:
>2.  Does it really get hard to work with N scale compared to HO?

I haven't done much work in HO, but alot in N.  Once you get your eyes and
brain tuned in to N scale, it doesn't seem to be that difficult to work in.
I've even found installing 0.005" grab irons in N scale to be easier then I
originally thought.  And N scale doesn't require an much material per model.

Quote:
>3. what will be the best way to go, a started set or individual
>components,

A set is a good place to start.  It lets you actually run trains on the dining
room table until you have a proper layout.  
But if you can afford it, I would recomend buying a custom set of individual
components.  

Quote:
>4. what are the best starter set ( an advanced starter set) available?

Stay away from the Bachmann sets.  I would take a good look at the MicroTrains
sets, althought this will point you down the road of MT couplers, which is a
step that not all N scalers are willing to take.  It's not really as messy a
conversion you might think.
MT sets are usually alittle harder to find then Bachmann sets, but a good hobby
store should have them.

Quote:
>5. how about marklin sets?? what other ad/dis advantages??

Major disadvantage, at least for me... no N scale.

-Scott-

 
 
 

Beginer need advise

Post by LARRY0 » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Quote:
>>5. how about marklin sets?? what other ad/dis advantages??

Marklin uses AC with a stud down the center of the track.  You will have to
stick with Marklin cars and engines.
Larry, from Pinole, CA
 
 
 

Beginer need advise

Post by Paul Tackowia » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00


The difference between N and HO is something of a difference in interests
(usually). If you want to do model railroading as trains moving through a
landscape N will let you do more in the smaller space. If you want to
build detailed models and run trains with  more of an eyeball to the track
perspective, HO will give you more options. HO is more popular and has a
much larger range of products and is therefore also cheaper. It's
basically a personal choice.

As for starter sets Atlas is generally the best combination of quality and
value. Marklin is a 3 rail AC system which is non compatible with the
standard, American DC system. It is also very expensive and is based on
the European tradition of high quality toys rather than on the American
craft tradition of highly accurate scale models.

As I advise every beginner - spend a lot of money on books. Go to a good
hobby store and don't hesitate to spend $100 on various how-to books as
well as magazines and historical books. Planning is a major part of model
railroading and the more you know the better you will be able to make
informed decisions that might keep you in this hobby for years to come..

Paul Tackowiak

 
 
 

Beginer need advise

Post by Holger von Hold » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Hallo from Germany.

If you are interested in european modells? Two additional manufactors are:
Fleischmann (H0,N) and Roco. Some Fleischmann Loco's are avaible with 3rd Rail
(H0). They are cheaper as Maerklin.

Holger von Holdt

-------

Paul Tackowiak schrieb:

Quote:
> The difference between N and HO is something of a difference in interests
> (usually). If you want to do model railroading as trains moving through a
> landscape N will let you do more in the smaller space. If you want to
> build detailed models and run trains with  more of an eyeball to the track
> perspective, HO will give you more options. HO is more popular and has a
> much larger range of products and is therefore also cheaper. It's
> basically a personal choice.

> As for starter sets Atlas is generally the best combination of quality and
> value. Marklin is a 3 rail AC system which is non compatible with the
> standard, American DC system. It is also very expensive and is based on
> the European tradition of high quality toys rather than on the American
> craft tradition of highly accurate scale models.

> As I advise every beginner - spend a lot of money on books. Go to a good
> hobby store and don't hesitate to spend $100 on various how-to books as
> well as magazines and historical books. Planning is a major part of model
> railroading and the more you know the better you will be able to make
> informed decisions that might keep you in this hobby for years to come..

> Paul Tackowiak