Newcomer questions - help please?

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Harvey Weism » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00



Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

Is it possible to learn to fly on your own without an instructor?  I don't
think I can get that much out of an instructor that I can't learn by
myself. I am very good at video games, so I think it should be fairly easy
to pick up flying the models. Besides, I can fly the MS Flight Simulator
really good, even doing instrument approaches, and its so good that even
the FAA allows you to learn on for flying the real planes. So if I can fly
a real one, I should have no problem with a toy plane.

I would like to start with a sports plane, move to an aerobatic plane, then
on to helicopters. There is really no sense in starting with a trainer, and
I am past that point already since I can fly the flight simulator from the
tower view, and never crash. I hope to move on to flying helicopters and
doing those cool 3D maneuvers by the end of the season.

So, what is the best sports plane, engine combination to buy. There has to
be one that clearly stands out in the crowd. I was thinking of maybe a
Super Sportser for the first plane, then move into something like an Extra
or CAP. I don't have a lot of money, so I don't want to buy a trainer with
a small engine, then have to move up and buy another plane and engine. What
is the best engine to get started with. I was thinking of a 4 cycle model,
maybe an Saito or a YS for the Super Sporster.

Is Futaba better than JR? I've heard that the majority of the winners at
the Top Gun competition last year were all using Futaba. What about HiTec?
Since I don't have a lot of money to spend, HiTec and Airtronics seem to
have a better feature to cost factor. I might even go used, and buy some
FMA direct servos to save a bit more. Any comments?

I will probably build my first plane, so I have a few questions here as
well. I was going to go with CA hinges, but I have heard that they fail
after a few flights. What is a better way of doing this then? I was going
to use Z-bends with EZ connectors for pushrods. Should I use CA, epoxy, or
white glue? Is monokote better than ultracote, and which weights more?

I've also heard about the AMA and SFA here in the NG. It appears that I can
fly at more clubs with the AMA, then I can with the SFA. Since with the
AMA, I can fly at the AMA sites, as well as the SFA sites. But with the
SFA, I can only fly at SFA fields, which there are very few of. Is this
true? And if so, why would anyone want to join the SFA?

Last question. Should I join a club, or just fly from the field across from
my house. I don't have a lot of time to devote to the hobby, so I don't
want to get involved is all the politics, socializing, or events a club
usually has. Can I just freeload, or is that frowned upon? However, I want
to make sure that I have insurance since I will probably kill someone by
learning on my own. I want to make sure I am covered. I will also increase
my life insurance for my wife.

Thanks,

Harvey

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by R.Hodgso » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

BIG SNIP************************************END OF BIG SNIP

Quote:

> Thanks,

> Harvey


Congratulations Harvey   :)

Ron <still laughing>  :)

--
By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited adverti***t to such equipment. By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned section
is punishable by law.

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Gregory Presto » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Is this a joke?  or are you a complete moron?

Quote:

> Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

> Is it possible to learn to fly on your own without an instructor?  I don't
> think I can get that much out of an instructor that I can't learn by
> myself. I am very good at video games, so I think it should be fairly easy
> to pick up flying the models. Besides, I can fly the MS Flight Simulator
> really good, even doing instrument approaches, and its so good that even
> the FAA allows you to learn on for flying the real planes. So if I can fly
> a real one, I should have no problem with a toy plane.

> I would like to start with a sports plane, move to an aerobatic plane, then
> on to helicopters. There is really no sense in starting with a trainer, and
> I am past that point already since I can fly the flight simulator from the
> tower view, and never crash. I hope to move on to flying helicopters and
> doing those cool 3D maneuvers by the end of the season.

> So, what is the best sports plane, engine combination to buy. There has to
> be one that clearly stands out in the crowd. I was thinking of maybe a
> Super Sportser for the first plane, then move into something like an Extra
> or CAP. I don't have a lot of money, so I don't want to buy a trainer with
> a small engine, then have to move up and buy another plane and engine. What
> is the best engine to get started with. I was thinking of a 4 cycle model,
> maybe an Saito or a YS for the Super Sporster.

> Is Futaba better than JR? I've heard that the majority of the winners at
> the Top Gun competition last year were all using Futaba. What about HiTec?
> Since I don't have a lot of money to spend, HiTec and Airtronics seem to
> have a better feature to cost factor. I might even go used, and buy some
> FMA direct servos to save a bit more. Any comments?

> I will probably build my first plane, so I have a few questions here as
> well. I was going to go with CA hinges, but I have heard that they fail
> after a few flights. What is a better way of doing this then? I was going
> to use Z-bends with EZ connectors for pushrods. Should I use CA, epoxy, or
> white glue? Is monokote better than ultracote, and which weights more?

> I've also heard about the AMA and SFA here in the NG. It appears that I can
> fly at more clubs with the AMA, then I can with the SFA. Since with the
> AMA, I can fly at the AMA sites, as well as the SFA sites. But with the
> SFA, I can only fly at SFA fields, which there are very few of. Is this
> true? And if so, why would anyone want to join the SFA?

> Last question. Should I join a club, or just fly from the field across from
> my house. I don't have a lot of time to devote to the hobby, so I don't
> want to get involved is all the politics, socializing, or events a club
> usually has. Can I just freeload, or is that frowned upon? However, I want
> to make sure that I have insurance since I will probably kill someone by
> learning on my own. I want to make sure I am covered. I will also increase
> my life insurance for my wife.

> Thanks,

> Harvey

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Gregory Presto » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Never mind, I figured it out. (I'm a moron)

Quote:

> Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

> Is it possible to learn to fly on your own without an instructor?  I don't
> think I can get that much out of an instructor that I can't learn by
> myself. I am very good at video games, so I think it should be fairly easy
> to pick up flying the models. Besides, I can fly the MS Flight Simulator
> really good, even doing instrument approaches, and its so good that even
> the FAA allows you to learn on for flying the real planes. So if I can fly
> a real one, I should have no problem with a toy plane.

> I would like to start with a sports plane, move to an aerobatic plane, then
> on to helicopters. There is really no sense in starting with a trainer, and
> I am past that point already since I can fly the flight simulator from the
> tower view, and never crash. I hope to move on to flying helicopters and
> doing those cool 3D maneuvers by the end of the season.

> So, what is the best sports plane, engine combination to buy. There has to
> be one that clearly stands out in the crowd. I was thinking of maybe a
> Super Sportser for the first plane, then move into something like an Extra
> or CAP. I don't have a lot of money, so I don't want to buy a trainer with
> a small engine, then have to move up and buy another plane and engine. What
> is the best engine to get started with. I was thinking of a 4 cycle model,
> maybe an Saito or a YS for the Super Sporster.

> Is Futaba better than JR? I've heard that the majority of the winners at
> the Top Gun competition last year were all using Futaba. What about HiTec?
> Since I don't have a lot of money to spend, HiTec and Airtronics seem to
> have a better feature to cost factor. I might even go used, and buy some
> FMA direct servos to save a bit more. Any comments?

> I will probably build my first plane, so I have a few questions here as
> well. I was going to go with CA hinges, but I have heard that they fail
> after a few flights. What is a better way of doing this then? I was going
> to use Z-bends with EZ connectors for pushrods. Should I use CA, epoxy, or
> white glue? Is monokote better than ultracote, and which weights more?

> I've also heard about the AMA and SFA here in the NG. It appears that I can
> fly at more clubs with the AMA, then I can with the SFA. Since with the
> AMA, I can fly at the AMA sites, as well as the SFA sites. But with the
> SFA, I can only fly at SFA fields, which there are very few of. Is this
> true? And if so, why would anyone want to join the SFA?

> Last question. Should I join a club, or just fly from the field across from
> my house. I don't have a lot of time to devote to the hobby, so I don't
> want to get involved is all the politics, socializing, or events a club
> usually has. Can I just freeload, or is that frowned upon? However, I want
> to make sure that I have insurance since I will probably kill someone by
> learning on my own. I want to make sure I am covered. I will also increase
> my life insurance for my wife.

> Thanks,

> Harvey

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by R.Hodgso » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Never mind, I figured it out. (I'm a moron)

Don't feel bad. I had to read it twice, and look at the E-mail address
before I started laughing.

That was a championship troll if I ever saw one :)

Ron

--
By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited adverti***t to such equipment. By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned section
is punishable by law.

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Robert H. Klen » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


|>
|> Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;
|>
[snip]
|>
|> Thanks,
|>
|> Harvey
|>

        Ah, do you have a license to troll here?

        Actually very clever, although you could have mentioned that
you liked the flying witch, wanted to buy all of your stuff at
American Hobby Center, though Great Planes sucked, wanted to join the
IMAA, but heard some bad things about it, and were thinking about the
Hyperfly...

Bob
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Bob Klenke, Ph.D., Principal Scientist  Dept. of Electrical Engineering
                                         University of ***ia
 http://www.FoundCollection.com/.***ia.edu/~rhk2j      C***tesville, VA 22903-2442
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Chuck Ga » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00




Quote:

>Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

Good one Stephen....

Chuck Gadd
Director of Software Development, *** FX Communications.

Remove the -NO SPAM- from my email address to send me e-mail.

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Erich Freyman » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Boy Harvey...

You have been lurking here for awhile, eh?

Quote:

> Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

> Is it possible to learn to fly on your own without an instructor?  I don't
> think I can get that much out of an instructor that I can't learn by
> myself. I am very good at video games, so I think it should be fairly easy
> to pick up flying the models. Besides, I can fly the MS Flight Simulator
> really good, even doing instrument approaches, and its so good that even
> the FAA allows you to learn on for flying the real planes. So if I can fly
> a real one, I should have no problem with a toy plane.

I am a full-scale pilot, as well. It doesn't help. You may have
smoother hands, but that's all that might help.
I suggest an instructor, especially since you are on a budget.
If you can't find one, then get ALL AVAILABLE information before
you start that engine. Comming here is a good start, but you
need to do a face to face with someone knowlegdable, too.

Quote:
> I would like to start with a sports plane, move to an aerobatic plane, then
> on to helicopters. There is really no sense in starting with a trainer, and
> I am past that point already since I can fly the flight simulator from the
> tower view, and never crash. I hope to move on to flying helicopters and
> doing those cool 3D maneuvers by the end of the season.

Problem with a sports plane first off, is they have no self-righting
characteristics that a trainer psosses. They have a high wing loading,
therefore stall sooner, and land faster. They go where you point them,
which in the case of the neophite flyer...is often the WRONG way.
Make it your second plane. After you master basics with a trainer,
you might actually find it easier to fly than the trainer, since
it won't tend to fight you as you maneuver it.

Get the helicopter now, if you wish. You will pretty much have to
learn that on your own, as "active" instruction techniques aren't
really compatable with learning helis. Get the training gear, or
make a set of your own. This you can practice in your field there,
and do it even on hazy days when you can't fly your airplane very
well. Small steps, here. Also, little learned from flying an airplane
will help flying the heli. They are very different machines to fly.
If you don't think you can handle learning both at the same time,
learn the airplane first. There may be debate over this, but you
pick one.

Quote:
> So, what is the best sports plane, engine combination to buy. There has to
> be one that clearly stands out in the crowd. I was thinking of maybe a
> Super Sportser for the first plane, then move into something like an Extra
> or CAP. I don't have a lot of money, so I don't want to buy a trainer with
> a small engine, then have to move up and buy another plane and engine. What
> is the best engine to get started with. I was thinking of a 4 cycle model,
> maybe an Saito or a YS for the Super Sporster.

My second plane was the SIG Four-Star 40. I bought an OS 46FX for it,
knowing I would need a powerful 40 for down the road. Later, when I
built my Extra 300, I just swapped it over. That Extra flies like
a bat outta hell, too. You really should suck it up and get the
trainer, even if you put the 46FX in it. You will just have to learn
throttle management, if you do.

Quote:
> Is Futaba better than JR? I've heard that the majority of the winners at
> the Top Gun competition last year were all using Futaba. What about HiTec?
> Since I don't have a lot of money to spend, HiTec and Airtronics seem to
> have a better feature to cost factor. I might even go used, and buy some
> FMA direct servos to save a bit more. Any comments?

All your choice. You can't really go wrong with todays radios. Buy
used, however...that's a different story.

Quote:
> I will probably build my first plane, so I have a few questions here as
> well. I was going to go with CA hinges, but I have heard that they fail
> after a few flights. What is a better way of doing this then? I was going
> to use Z-bends with EZ connectors for pushrods. Should I use CA, epoxy, or
> white glue? Is monokote better than ultracote, and which weights more?

Used CA hinges on my lat two planes, including the abused Extra 300.
The only failure I had was when I banged the elevator into the side of
my truck, ripping one. They don't pull out, if you SLOT and glue
correctly.

Quote:
> I've also heard about the AMA and SFA here in the NG. It appears that I can
> fly at more clubs with the AMA, then I can with the SFA. Since with the
> AMA, I can fly at the AMA sites, as well as the SFA sites. But with the
> SFA, I can only fly at SFA fields, which there are very few of. Is this
> true? And if so, why would anyone want to join the SFA?

I was a member of the SFA. The holier-than-thou AMA, as you stated,
wouldn't let SFA on their fields. That was impracticle where I lived,
so I had to join the AMA. Kinda snobby of the AMA, eh? The SFA's
philosophy is that a model flyer is a model flyer, and insurance is
insurance, and allow AMA members on their fields.

Quote:
> Last question. Should I join a club, or just fly from the field across from
> my house. I don't have a lot of time to devote to the hobby, so I don't
> want to get involved is all the politics, socializing, or events a club
> usually has. Can I just freeload, or is that frowned upon? However, I want
> to make sure that I have insurance since I will probably kill someone by
> learning on my own. I want to make sure I am covered. I will also increase
> my life insurance for my wife.

I wouldn't be so drastic. Check out the club, and see what THEY can
offer
YOU. It's not the other way around. Clubs have to offer something to the
membership, or they cease to exist. You may be asked to give a little
time, but it's not expected of you, unless it's in the rules. Many clubs
require you to mow once a year, or some such.

Quote:
> Thanks,

 You're welcome, and good luck with you flying career!

Erich

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Erich Freyman » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Never mind, I figured it out. (I'm a moron)


> > Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

Opps.

Count me in too....heheh...good one...

I guess if there any REAL lurkers out there...I think I
just typed a really good FAQ to "Harvey"

Not to mention, summed up all the threads here!

Erich

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by AJDalto » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Looks like I just popped -in on a T.G.I.F. Party !
                         Arthur

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by BILLY8 » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


I was in the same position. I could take off, land, fly around, do aerobatics,
and every thing else. I then took up RC, and was very smart and USED AN
INSTRUCTOR, and took 3 months to learn. I am 14 years old, and i could do good
on all sims. IT IS ALOT DIFFERENT!! Just at least use an instructor for 3 or
four flights before you decide to go on by yourself. Thanks.
Bill
It will save you a model

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by BILLY8 » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Buying a supersportster then a cap WILL NOT SAVE YOU MONEY. it will probably
cost more!!! It is VERY possible that you will crash it if you dont start off
right. Be patient and dont be in such a rush. If you dont have a lot of money,
then how do you plan on doing helicoptors? A helecopter that will do the 3D
will cost at LEAST 600 dollars new. I advise you to buy a USED trainer complete
for 200 or less.
Bill

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Steph » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Quote:



>>Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

>Good one Stephen....

>Chuck Gadd
>Director of Software Development, *** FX Communications.

>Remove the -NO SPAM- from my email address to send me e-mail.

And Chuck gets the second prize for identifying the toll....

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I was in a feisty mood, and the wife was
away. What's a man to do.....

Stephen

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Steph » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00


Quote:


>> Never mind, I figured it out. (I'm a moron)


>> > Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;

>Opps.

>Count me in too....heheh...good one...

>I guess if there any REAL lurkers out there...I think I
>just typed a really good FAQ to "Harvey"

>Not to mention, summed up all the threads here!

>Erich

No no no. There are no morons here. Well, maybe a few, but
neither of you count.

Sorry Eric that it caught you enough to enter that reply. I guess
I made it a little too convincing. Good summary though...

 
 
 

Newcomer questions - help please?

Post by Steph » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>|>
>|> Being a newcomer, I have a few questions;
>|>
>[snip]
>|>
>|> Thanks,
>|>
>|> Harvey
>|>

>    Ah, do you have a license to troll here?

>    Actually very clever, although you could have mentioned that
>you liked the flying witch, wanted to buy all of your stuff at
>American Hobby Center, though Great Planes sucked, wanted to join the
>IMAA, but heard some bad things about it, and were thinking about the
>Hyperfly...

>Bob

Yes, I missed some.

I'll try harder next time......promise

Stephen