Oneway stronghold vs SupaNova?

Oneway stronghold vs SupaNova?

Post by Ian Barro » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Anyone who has tried both of these care comment on the difference in
holding/gripping power of these two chucks - especially in expansion
mode?

thanks,
        Ian

 
 
 

Oneway stronghold vs SupaNova?

Post by Greg Jense » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00


I have found the Oneway Stronghold to have better gripping power then the
Nova chuck in both the gripping and expansion mode.  It is the chuck I tend
to grab first.
Quote:

> Anyone who has tried both of these care comment on the difference in
> holding/gripping power of these two chucks - especially in expansion
> mode?

> thanks,
> Ian


 
 
 

Oneway stronghold vs SupaNova?

Post by michael roegne » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Ian -
        Both are excellent, though I have found I prefer the
Stronghold.  The most important issue is really the jaw profile you
use - An expanding dovetail jaw would probably work best for what
you're talking about   The jaws that come on the Stronghold and the
SuperNova are both really better suited for compression chucking.
You might also want to take a look at the big Vicmarc.
Quote:

>Anyone who has tried both of these care comment on the difference in
>holding/gripping power of these two chucks - especially in expansion
>mode?

>thanks,
>    Ian

 
 
 

Oneway stronghold vs SupaNova?

Post by Dan Nelso » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
>As far as holding power, between those two chucks the Stronghold is definately
>the better choice. The Supernova chuck is a perfectly good chuck in most
>respects, but the Stronghold is a much bigger, stronger chuck. ------Dan
>Anyone who has tried both of these care comment on the difference in
>holding/gripping power of these two chucks - especially in expansion
>mode?

>thanks,
>    Ian

 
 
 

Oneway stronghold vs SupaNova?

Post by Thomas Trag » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Oneway Stronghold, hands down.   The chuck itself is machined to
better tolerances IMO, and the jaws are designed to grip better, and
I've found this to be physically true.
 
 
 

Oneway stronghold vs SupaNova?

Post by Jon Schillin » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00


As I recall, the Super Nova will take the original Nova jaws.
I also recall that I bought some Oneway jaws to fit the Nova, and thus they
will fit the
super nova.   Depending on your budget, the super nova is a step above the
nova (actually a real nice big step), the the Oneway Strong hold is a
jumping step above the super nova.
And there are those that argue, maybe correctly, that the 6" or 5" vicmark
are superior to both of these.    I like tommy bars and bought a 6" vicmark
last week with the
smaller jaws that come with it and the large jaws and then
I also bought the super large jaws....they will handle recesses or tenons up
to
8" dia.      I visited Mike Mahoney (of Utah and multiple natural edged
bowls from a single piece of wood, using the McNaughton center saver, fame)
and he demonstrated using
the 8" tenon on rough turning and coring out multiple bowls from a single
piece of wood.
Of course during finish turning he turns down the tenon to the correct sized
foot.....
FWIW,
--
Jon Schilling
Ridgefield, Wa  USA   (10 miles north of Portland, Ore)

Quote:
> Oneway Stronghold, hands down.   The chuck itself is machined to
> better tolerances IMO, and the jaws are designed to grip better, and
> I've found this to be physically true.

 
 
 

Oneway stronghold vs SupaNova?

Post by James Barle » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Jon, I believe the original Oneway jaws fit the nova, but not the Oneway
stronghold jaws.
Quote:

>As I recall, the Super Nova will take the original Nova jaws.
>I also recall that I bought some Oneway jaws to fit the Nova, and thus they
>will fit the super nova