Red Alder

Red Alder

Post by Rob stearn » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 17:18:14



Anyone have info on turning Red Alder,  experiences and thoughts much
appreciated ?

Thanx.......Rob

 
 
 

Red Alder

Post by Roge » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:35:24


Rob,
I've turned a lot of Alder green, air dried and spalted.  It is easily
obtainable because of it's "weed" status in Western Washington. It is
soft so keep your tools sharp.  It finishes and polishes nicely.
Go for it.
Roger Dunn

 
 
 

Red Alder

Post by Buddy Matlos » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 02:29:47



Quote:
> Anyone have info on turning Red Alder,  experiences and thoughts much
> appreciated ?

Isn't he the guy who puts out oil field fires?

B.

 
 
 

Red Alder

Post by Ray Sandusk » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 03:29:32


That was Red Adair of Houston TX - the oilfield fireman


Quote:



> > Anyone have info on turning Red Alder,  experiences and thoughts much
> > appreciated ?

> Isn't he the guy who puts out oil field fires?

> B.

 
 
 

Red Alder

Post by Brad the Lurk » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 04:19:30


Rob,

I'm not sure it it's Red alder or not, but I've turned a fair amount
of the fast growing alder that's planted as a "urban ornamental" in
northern California.  It's biggest appeal is that it's easy to get in
big chunks.  I use it primarily for big salad bowls.  It's pretty
stable.  I can green turn a 16" diameter bowl to a thickness of 1" and
not have it split or warp too much out of round to finish turn.  I
finish turn to a thickness of about 3/8" then almost soak it in
mineral oilfor a day or two.  The grain and color are not that great
to start out with, but with a year or 2 of use it will turn a rich red
with a great patina.

I wouldn't use it for "art" pieces, but for tureen it works fine.

Give it a spin

Brad

 
 
 

Red Alder

Post by Nick To » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 04:41:06


Rob,
Red Alder is common yard tree here in the Sacramento Valley. I have
gotten two Red Alder trees in the last couple years. Turns & finishs
nice when dry. Final color should be a yellowish/orange. Cut & remove
pith before storing as it will crack. Somewhat soft. If you have any
extra send it my way.
 
 
 

Red Alder

Post by PMarks16 » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 06:43:24


Either Fine Woodworking or Woodworking Magazine has an article of Red Alder
this month.
 
 
 

Red Alder

Post by Rob stearn » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:38:41


"Ray Sandusky"  said

Quote:
> That was Red Adair of Houston TX - the oilfield fireman

Yep thats him,  before becoming a firefighter he danced in movies with
Ginger Rogers ;)
 
 
 

Red Alder

Post by Rob stearn » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:48:07



Quote:
> Rob,
> Red Alder is common yard tree here in the Sacramento Valley. I have
> gotten two Red Alder trees in the last couple years. Turns & finishs
> nice when dry. Final color should be a yellowish/orange. Cut & remove
> pith before storing as it will crack. Somewhat soft. If you have any
> extra send it my way.

A friend gave me two 5" logs he makes rustic furniture from the stuff.  The
bark is quite tough and stringy and as you'll know is a darkish Red, I
peeled a piece and although quite damp the inner material appears to be
white.  Its actually quite heavy.