Delta DL40 problem

Delta DL40 problem

Post by MGH » Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:51:51



Group,

Need help/advise. I am a high school shop teacher.  We have a Delta DL40 16"electronic
variable wood lathe.  It quit working the other day.  I replaced the power
cord, it had more electrical tape than plastic.  The cord was replaced with
a lighter gage wire than original (I know mistake).

The lathe and electronics all worked, as it should.  After a short period of
use the lathe shut down.  I noticed the cord had gotten warm and the lathe
would not restart.  I replaced the cord with an appropriate gage wire,
checked the F1 fuse it's good, F2 and F3 fuses soldered to the circuit board
also look good.  When the red on/off button is pulled to the ON position a
relay on the circuit board clicks but no LED readout lights on the
microprocessor control panel.  I moved the microprocessor control panel to
the alternative location with the same results.  We have a second identical
lathe and replaced the microprocessor control panel on the working lathe and
the panel worked fine. Did I fry the electronics by having a to light gage
wire?  I looked for a thermal overload button on the motor but haven't found
any.  Besides the motor never got warm much less hot.  Also, there was never
that hot electrical smell.  Any suggestions would be helpful and
appreciated.

Gay

 
 
 

Delta DL40 problem

Post by triker » Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:30:54



Quote:
> Group,

> Need help/advise. I am a high school shop teacher.  We have a Delta DL40
16"electronic
> variable wood lathe.  It quit working the other day.  I replaced the power
> cord, it had more electrical tape than plastic.  The cord was replaced
with
> a lighter gage wire than original (I know mistake).

> The lathe and electronics all worked, as it should.  After a short period
of
> use the lathe shut down.  I noticed the cord had gotten warm and the lathe
> would not restart.  I replaced the cord with an appropriate gage wire,
> checked the F1 fuse it's good, F2 and F3 fuses soldered to the circuit
board
> also look good.  When the red on/off button is pulled to the ON position a
> relay on the circuit board clicks but no LED readout lights on the
> microprocessor control panel.  I moved the microprocessor control panel to
> the alternative location with the same results.  We have a second
identical
> lathe and replaced the microprocessor control panel on the working lathe
and
> the panel worked fine. Did I fry the electronics by having a to light gage
> wire?  I looked for a thermal overload button on the motor but haven't
found
> any.  Besides the motor never got warm much less hot.  Also, there was
never
> that hot electrical smell.  Any suggestions would be helpful and
> appreciated.

> Gay

Sorry to tell you this but you probally have fried the electronics. Some of
these things are very touchy if the anp or voltage get out of wack, which it
probally did as you said the light gague wire did get warm, indicating a
high resistance which will drop the voltage.

 
 
 

Delta DL40 problem

Post by Bill Rubenstei » Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:31:43


I don't entirely agree with the answer below.  It may be that the
electronics are fried but I doubt that the use of a thin wire (even if
it got hot) would be the cause.

All modern VFDs detect the under voltage condition and will (or at least
should) shut themselves down when they detect the condition.  They also
detect shorted leads between themselves and the motor and shut down
without harm -- or, at least, they should.  The ones I use do.

So, if the wire was big-time under sized, the IR drop on the wire would
give you a low voltage at the input to the VFD and it should shut down
properly.

Question -- I can't remember if you can see the vfd display on that
machine or not.  If so, when you power down one which is working
properly, it should run for a few seconds and then report under voltage
as it goes to sleep.

Bill

Quote:



>> Group,

>> Need help/advise. I am a high school shop teacher.  We have a Delta DL40
> 16"electronic
>> variable wood lathe.  It quit working the other day.  I replaced the power
>> cord, it had more electrical tape than plastic.  The cord was replaced
> with
>> a lighter gage wire than original (I know mistake).

>> The lathe and electronics all worked, as it should.  After a short period
> of
>> use the lathe shut down.  I noticed the cord had gotten warm and the lathe
>> would not restart.  I replaced the cord with an appropriate gage wire,
>> checked the F1 fuse it's good, F2 and F3 fuses soldered to the circuit
> board
>> also look good.  When the red on/off button is pulled to the ON position a
>> relay on the circuit board clicks but no LED readout lights on the
>> microprocessor control panel.  I moved the microprocessor control panel to
>> the alternative location with the same results.  We have a second
> identical
>> lathe and replaced the microprocessor control panel on the working lathe
> and
>> the panel worked fine. Did I fry the electronics by having a to light gage
>> wire?  I looked for a thermal overload button on the motor but haven't
> found
>> any.  Besides the motor never got warm much less hot.  Also, there was
> never
>> that hot electrical smell.  Any suggestions would be helpful and
>> appreciated.

>> Gay

> Sorry to tell you this but you probally have fried the electronics. Some of
> these things are very touchy if the anp or voltage get out of wack, which it
> probally did as you said the light gague wire did get warm, indicating a
> high resistance which will drop the voltage.

 
 
 

Delta DL40 problem

Post by Arc » Mon, 30 Apr 2007 06:06:54


Hi Gay,  Your post was a very welcome rarity for many of us here. First
that your high school has a course in shop. (I hope you have a decent
shop to teach in. 'G') and secondly that the teacher is interested in
woodturning and turning equipment. Shop has been discontinued in so many
high schools when the world is crying out for competent workmen and
workwomen. (workpersons?).  

I'm no help with your DL40 problem, but I think you should be
congratulated and the good sense of your HS administration acknowledged.  

Hope you get the DL40 working quickly or before next term.  How about a
series of posts re your experiences as a HS shop teacher?  Maybe as
usual, I'm behind the times and shop has again taken its rightful place
in the curriculum.  I sure hope so.

Turn to Safety,  Arch                        
                                                  Fortiter

http://community.webtv.net/almcc/MacsMusings

 
 
 

Delta DL40 problem

Post by Bill Rubenstei » Mon, 30 Apr 2007 07:04:20


This leads to a story...

Some of you know who I am -- I run a little business called "Stubby
Lathe USA".  A salesman for an alarm company has left his card on my
door several times -- his schedule and mine don't seem to agree so he
keeps missing me.  Finally he called me on my cell phone whose number is
listed on the door, and asked me "is this Stubby la-th-ee"?

I know that he couldn't think it was my name because of the USA part.
Anyway, he had no idea what a lathe was, what it was used for, nor how
to pronounce the word.  BTW, there is one sitting in the front window of
my place -- maybe he can't see either.

This is a pretty sorry state of affairs, I think.  I wonder what other
*** things he hasn't a clue about.

I graduated high school in Elgin IL a long time ago (1958).  We were all
REQUIRED to take wood shop, drafting, bookbinding, typesetting (had to
learn the California job case), electrical shop, sewing, and cooking.
The same for all the girls.  It didn't matter if you were going to
college or not, everybody did it.

You may notice that typing is not on that list.  My mother insisted that
I learn to touch type and I've thanked her every day of my *** life
for that.

I see a future where the masses are held hostage by the few blue collars
who actually know how to do things and know how to learn to do other things.

We have two *** daughters.  The older builds for Habitat for Humanity,
has torn out her old kitchen and rebuilt it,...  The younger tackles
projects like replacing electrical fixtures and such although she isn't
as handy as the older one.  We've done our part in making sure that they
were well rounded and knew enough to get jobs done themselves or, at
least, get jobs done by others without getting taken.

But, I will now end this rant...

Bill

Quote:

> Hi Gay,  Your post was a very welcome rarity for many of us here. First
> that your high school has a course in shop. (I hope you have a decent
> shop to teach in. 'G') and secondly that the teacher is interested in
> woodturning and turning equipment. Shop has been discontinued in so many
> high schools when the world is crying out for competent workmen and
> workwomen. (workpersons?).  

> I'm no help with your DL40 problem, but I think you should be
> congratulated and the good sense of your HS administration acknowledged.  

> Hope you get the DL40 working quickly or before next term.  How about a
> series of posts re your experiences as a HS shop teacher?  Maybe as
> usual, I'm behind the times and shop has again taken its rightful place
> in the curriculum.  I sure hope so.

> Turn to Safety,  Arch                        
>                                                   Fortiter

> http://www.FoundCollection.com/

 
 
 

Delta DL40 problem

Post by luig » Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:44:54



Quote:
> Group,

> Need help/advise. I am a high school shop teacher.  We have a Delta DL40 16"electronic
> variable wood lathe.  It quit working the other day.  I replaced the power
> cord, it had more electrical tape than plastic.  The cord was replaced with
> a lighter gage wire than original (I know mistake).

> The lathe and electronics all worked, as it should.  After a short period of
> use the lathe shut down.  I noticed the cord had gotten warm and the lathe
> would not restart.  I replaced the cord with an appropriate gage wire,
> checked the F1 fuse it's good, F2 and F3 fuses soldered to the circuit board
> also look good.  When the red on/off button is pulled to the ON position a
> relay on the circuit board clicks but no LED readout lights on the
> microprocessor control panel.  I moved the microprocessor control panel to
> the alternative location with the same results.  We have a second identical
> lathe and replaced the microprocessor control panel on the working lathe and
> the panel worked fine. Did I fry the electronics by having a to light gage
> wire?  I looked for a thermal overload button on the motor but haven't found
> any.  Besides the motor never got warm much less hot.  Also, there was never
> that hot electrical smell.  Any suggestions would be helpful and
> appreciated.

> Gay

Mind you, I don't have the schematic, but the relay that clicks is
probably the problem. Typically, the "ON" switch is actually an
EMergencyOff swicth [EMO] and controls power to the circuit board -
and everything else. If it doesn't operate, no power, no green light.
Try replacing that relay [and the power cord ;-}  ]. Try McMaster-Carr
supply house [http://www.mcmaster.com/ ] - you'l need the relay brand
name and model name/number.

Rob't