Pear mead - how much pear?

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by i.. » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00



ok, i was going to make a pear mead this weekend but i thought i'd
check first with everyone since i have not yet tried a fruited
mead.......
my plan is to make a 5 gal batch, i've got about 15-16 lbs of honey,
but i was wondering just how much pear i would need to really impart a
pearish flavour? and is it best to use frozen (and thawed) fruit
chunks in cheesecloth, or perhaps pear juice without preservatives (if
i can get it)?
i've made many a mead, but i'm in unfamiliar territory with the
addition of fruit.
when should i put it in? how long should i leave it in? (this is
presuming it is whole fruit and not juice)
also... i believe in the old-school method and i do not boil my raw
honey, preferring to take the risk of contamination. the addidtion of
fruit hopefully will not make that more dangerous i hope, but should i
peel the fruit first if i choose to use whole fruit?
so..... in summary....:
1. how much fruit for a 5 gal batch?
2. whole fruit of juice?
3. when do i add the fruit?
4. when do i remove the fruit?
5. bioling.. good or bad? (don't want to have pectin/haze problems)
6. skin fruit if used whole?

thanks ahead to anyone who offerd advice, i want this to be the best
mead i've yet made, and many of my friends are really pestering me
about this one.........

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Dewey & Lucy Thompso » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> ok, i was going to make a pear mead this weekend but i thought i'd
> check first with everyone since i have not yet tried a fruited
> mead.......

Well, at the risk of being pedantic.......You can't.

To be precise, "mead" uses no fruit.  Melomel uses honey and fruit.
Metheglin use spices.  Pyment uses grapes and honey, and cyser uses apple
cider.........

Quote:
> my plan is to make a 5 gal batch, i've got about 15-16 lbs of honey,
> but i was wondering just how much pear i would need to really impart a
> pearish flavour?

Now that I've got THAT off my chest......:o) I would suggest five pounds of
pears per gallon.  25 pounds of pears.  Use seconds if you can get them.

Quote:
>and is it best to use frozen (and thawed) fruit
> chunks in cheesecloth, or perhaps pear juice without preservatives (if
> i can get it)?

I would use fresh fruit.  I cube the pears, blanch them, then mash pears
with a colander strainer, I have a food processor that has an attachment
that does that (Kitchen Aid K5SS).  You can do it by hand, it's just more
work.

Quote:
> i've made many a mead, but i'm in unfamiliar territory with the
> addition of fruit.
> when should i put it in?

Up front.  cube the fruit and blanch in a couple of gallons of water.  Save
the water for the fermentation tank.  Mash the fruit and put into the
primary.  Estimate the juice amount, then fill to about 4 gallons it will
probably take 2-1/2 gallons maybe a bit more.

Check specific gravity, then add honey to the desired level. Add water to
the five gallon mark  Recheck gravity to ensure it's where you want. Suggest
1.11-1.12, it will probably take 2-1/2 to 3 pounds of honey per gallon.

Add  4-5 tsp nutrient (and spices if you are going to use them).

Add acid.  Suggest citric acid, about 15-20 teaspoons.  That's a lot more
than "most" recipes call for, but you need to get the pH down to the low
threes.  (3.3 to 3.5).  You can use several oranges and lemons if you
prefer.   Also, add pectic enzyme if you want to.

take a cup of the must and start the yeast. Heat it to 100 degrees and add
the yeast. After about half an hour mix, then cover and let sit.  Add five
campden tablets to the must.

After 24 hours, add the yeast starter.

Quote:
>how long should i leave it in? (this is
> presuming it is whole fruit and not juice)

Ferment for five to seven days, punch the cap and stir 2-3 times a day.

Quote:
> also... i believe in the old-school method and i do not boil my raw
> honey, preferring to take the risk of contamination. the addidtion of
> fruit hopefully will not make that more dangerous i hope, but should i
> peel the fruit first if i choose to use whole fruit?

I don't boil the honey either.  Use whole fruit with the skin.   But do use
the campden.

Quote:
> so..... in summary....:
> 1. how much fruit for a 5 gal batch?

25 pounds

Quote:
> 2. whole fruit of juice?

Fruit

Quote:
> 3. when do i add the fruit?

Up front

Quote:
> 4. when do i remove the fruit?

5-7 days

Quote:
> 5. bioling.. good or bad? (don't want to have pectin/haze problems)

don't "biol".  Use pectic enzyme

Quote:
> 6. skin fruit if used whole?

Whole fruit

for what it's worth.
Dewey

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Euphemis » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:42:32


I made some pear mead this fall (properly called "cyser" for you purists).
I put enough pears through the juicer to make a gallon of juice, added nine
pounds of honey and then topped off to 3 gallons.  I did not boil the honey,
or freeze the pears ( too hard to get frozen pears through my juicer).  If
you care about cloudiness do NOT boil the pears.  I used pectic enzyme
(optional) and the mead is now very clear, but not very flavorful.  The
pectic enzyme is not to blame for the mild flavor.  Still, it is very a
young mead and has time to develop.  If I had it do it over I would have
used 100% pear juice the same way I do for apple mead (also called cyser).
Nutrient is not necessary when making most melomels (fruit meads).


Quote:
> ok, i was going to make a pear mead this weekend but i thought i'd
> check first with everyone since i have not yet tried a fruited
> mead.......
> my plan is to make a 5 gal batch, i've got about 15-16 lbs of honey,
> but i was wondering just how much pear i would need to really impart a
> pearish flavour? and is it best to use frozen (and thawed) fruit
> chunks in cheesecloth, or perhaps pear juice without preservatives (if
> i can get it)?
> i've made many a mead, but i'm in unfamiliar territory with the
> addition of fruit.
> when should i put it in? how long should i leave it in? (this is
> presuming it is whole fruit and not juice)
> also... i believe in the old-school method and i do not boil my raw
> honey, preferring to take the risk of contamination. the addidtion of
> fruit hopefully will not make that more dangerous i hope, but should i
> peel the fruit first if i choose to use whole fruit?
> so..... in summary....:
> 1. how much fruit for a 5 gal batch?
> 2. whole fruit of juice?
> 3. when do i add the fruit?
> 4. when do i remove the fruit?
> 5. bioling.. good or bad? (don't want to have pectin/haze problems)
> 6. skin fruit if used whole?

> thanks ahead to anyone who offerd advice, i want this to be the best
> mead i've yet made, and many of my friends are really pestering me
> about this one.........

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Scot Mc Pherso » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 11:04:46


Just to be a little more pedantic...cyser includes pears...=)

--
-Scot Mc Pherson
-Philosopher, Gardener, Beekeeper, Winemaker and Fishkeeper



Quote:
> > ok, i was going to make a pear mead this weekend but i thought i'd
> > check first with everyone since i have not yet tried a fruited
> > mead.......

> Well, at the risk of being pedantic.......You can't.

> To be precise, "mead" uses no fruit.  Melomel uses honey and fruit.
> Metheglin use spices.  Pyment uses grapes and honey, and cyser uses apple
> cider.........

> > my plan is to make a 5 gal batch, i've got about 15-16 lbs of honey,
> > but i was wondering just how much pear i would need to really impart a
> > pearish flavour?

> Now that I've got THAT off my chest......:o) I would suggest five pounds
of
> pears per gallon.  25 pounds of pears.  Use seconds if you can get them.

> >and is it best to use frozen (and thawed) fruit
> > chunks in cheesecloth, or perhaps pear juice without preservatives (if
> > i can get it)?

> I would use fresh fruit.  I cube the pears, blanch them, then mash pears
> with a colander strainer, I have a food processor that has an attachment
> that does that (Kitchen Aid K5SS).  You can do it by hand, it's just more
> work.

> > i've made many a mead, but i'm in unfamiliar territory with the
> > addition of fruit.
> > when should i put it in?

> Up front.  cube the fruit and blanch in a couple of gallons of water.
Save
> the water for the fermentation tank.  Mash the fruit and put into the
> primary.  Estimate the juice amount, then fill to about 4 gallons it will
> probably take 2-1/2 gallons maybe a bit more.

> Check specific gravity, then add honey to the desired level. Add water to
> the five gallon mark  Recheck gravity to ensure it's where you want.
Suggest
> 1.11-1.12, it will probably take 2-1/2 to 3 pounds of honey per gallon.

> Add  4-5 tsp nutrient (and spices if you are going to use them).

> Add acid.  Suggest citric acid, about 15-20 teaspoons.  That's a lot more
> than "most" recipes call for, but you need to get the pH down to the low
> threes.  (3.3 to 3.5).  You can use several oranges and lemons if you
> prefer.   Also, add pectic enzyme if you want to.

> take a cup of the must and start the yeast. Heat it to 100 degrees and add
> the yeast. After about half an hour mix, then cover and let sit.  Add five
> campden tablets to the must.

> After 24 hours, add the yeast starter.

> >how long should i leave it in? (this is
> > presuming it is whole fruit and not juice)

> Ferment for five to seven days, punch the cap and stir 2-3 times a day.

> > also... i believe in the old-school method and i do not boil my raw
> > honey, preferring to take the risk of contamination. the addidtion of
> > fruit hopefully will not make that more dangerous i hope, but should i
> > peel the fruit first if i choose to use whole fruit?

> I don't boil the honey either.  Use whole fruit with the skin.   But do
use
> the campden.

> > so..... in summary....:

> > 1. how much fruit for a 5 gal batch?
> 25 pounds

> > 2. whole fruit of juice?
> Fruit

> > 3. when do i add the fruit?
> Up front

> > 4. when do i remove the fruit?
> 5-7 days

> > 5. bioling.. good or bad? (don't want to have pectin/haze problems)
> don't "biol".  Use pectic enzyme

> > 6. skin fruit if used whole?
> Whole fruit

> for what it's worth.
> Dewey

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by lionman.. » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 13:24:51




Quote:
> ok, i was going to make a pear mead this weekend but i thought i'd
> check first with everyone since i have not yet tried a fruited
> mead.......
> my plan is to make a 5 gal batch, i've got about 15-16 lbs of honey,
> but i was wondering just how much pear i would need to really impart a
> pearish flavour? and is it best to use frozen (and thawed) fruit
> chunks in cheesecloth, or perhaps pear juice without preservatives (if
> i can get it)?
> i've made many a mead, but i'm in unfamiliar territory with the
> addition of fruit.
> when should i put it in? how long should i leave it in? (this is
> presuming it is whole fruit and not juice)
> also... i believe in the old-school method and i do not boil my raw
> honey, preferring to take the risk of contamination. the addidtion of
> fruit hopefully will not make that more dangerous i hope, but should i
> peel the fruit first if i choose to use whole fruit?
> so..... in summary....:
> 1. how much fruit for a 5 gal batch?
> 2. whole fruit of juice?
> 3. when do i add the fruit?
> 4. when do i remove the fruit?
> 5. bioling.. good or bad? (don't want to have pectin/haze problems)
> 6. skin fruit if used whole?

> thanks ahead to anyone who offerd advice, i want this to be the best
> mead i've yet made, and many of my friends are really pestering me
> about this one.........
> You can Ferment the pear juice seperate and blend the mead and perry

together for the most control of flavors. If adding pears or juice to
the must add it in the secondary fruit will take longer(than juice )
but must be cut very small.Do not boil fruit EVER! You can add more
fruit or juice as the mead ferments to bring the flavor up. Pear is a
hard flavor so it would be best to add near end of secondary to get the
most flavor. I would try a gallon of unfiltered juice to start if
fermented with the mead. To use chunks of fruit I would buy a grain bag
from a homebrew store its easyer to sanitize. Ferment in peace Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Tim ODonnel » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00


I made a pear wine last year that was absolutely wonderful. I used a juice
machine and juice about 6 lbs of pears. This gave me about 32 ounces of juice. I
then added about 2lbs of sugar and water to an sg of 1.090. added K1V-1116 and
let it go. The wine has a great pear taste and is crisp and semi-sweet.

The pears that i used were Anjou pears and they were very ripe. I am hesitant
about trying it again using Bartletts because I am afraid that I will not get as
much flavor. I gotta tell ya if you can get Anjou oears get them. The thing that
is really aggravating is that I only made a gallon.

Tim ODonnell

Quote:

> I made some pear mead this fall (properly called "cyser" for you purists).
> I put enough pears through the juicer to make a gallon of juice, added nine
> pounds of honey and then topped off to 3 gallons.  I did not boil the honey,
> or freeze the pears ( too hard to get frozen pears through my juicer).  If
> you care about cloudiness do NOT boil the pears.  I used pectic enzyme
> (optional) and the mead is now very clear, but not very flavorful.  The
> pectic enzyme is not to blame for the mild flavor.  Still, it is very a
> young mead and has time to develop.  If I had it do it over I would have
> used 100% pear juice the same way I do for apple mead (also called cyser).
> Nutrient is not necessary when making most melomels (fruit meads).

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Dewey & Lucy Thompso » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> Just to be a little more pedantic...cyser includes pears...=)

You COULD be correct of course.......Pears and apples are from the same
plant family, and have very similar acid characteristics.

I have seen apple trees with pear grafted onto..................

HOWEVER..........

I have never seen the claim to include pears in the term "cyser" in print
until your message above.  That doesn't mean that you are incorrect, it just
means that I have never seen it. One can't prove a negative.

BUT.  According to the AHA stylesbook, to quote from
http://www.beertown.org/AHA/scstyles4.htm :

"Melomel is made with any fruit or vegetable except apples or grapes. Cyser
is made with apples and/or apple juice. Pyment is made with grapes.
Ingredients should be expressed in aroma and flavor. Color should represent
ingredients. Honey character apparent in aroma and flavor. Absence of harsh
or stale character. Can be dry, medium or sweet, which must be designated on
entry form."

I have seen pear-honey wine referred to as "pear mead", "melomel",
"pearmel", and "peary".  Don't hold me to the spelling of the last two, it's
been a long time and I don't remember which books I saw it...........But at
least it was formal literature.............And I have NEVER seen pears
included in cyser in the formal literature that I have read......

regards
:o)
dewey

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Euphemis » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00


For references to "Pear mead" being referred to as Cyser look in "Mad about
Mead", by Pamela Spence page 173 or on the net at
http://www2.coastalnet.com/~v4p6u4nb/mead-26.htm



Quote:
> > Just to be a little more pedantic...cyser includes pears...=)

> You COULD be correct of course.......Pears and apples are from the same
> plant family, and have very similar acid characteristics.

> I have seen apple trees with pear grafted onto..................

> HOWEVER..........

> I have never seen the claim to include pears in the term "cyser" in print
> until your message above.  That doesn't mean that you are incorrect, it
just
> means that I have never seen it. One can't prove a negative.

> BUT.  According to the AHA stylesbook, to quote from
> http://www.beertown.org/AHA/scstyles4.htm :

> "Melomel is made with any fruit or vegetable except apples or grapes.
Cyser
> is made with apples and/or apple juice. Pyment is made with grapes.
> Ingredients should be expressed in aroma and flavor. Color should
represent
> ingredients. Honey character apparent in aroma and flavor. Absence of
harsh
> or stale character. Can be dry, medium or sweet, which must be designated
on
> entry form."

> I have seen pear-honey wine referred to as "pear mead", "melomel",
> "pearmel", and "peary".  Don't hold me to the spelling of the last two,
it's
> been a long time and I don't remember which books I saw it...........But
at
> least it was formal literature.............And I have NEVER seen pears
> included in cyser in the formal literature that I have read......

> regards
> :o)
> dewey

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Scot Mc Pherso » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Perry is a drink made from strictly pears, its basically hard pear cider.

--
-Scot Mc Pherson
-Philosopher, Gardener, Beekeeper, Winemaker and Fishkeeper



Quote:
> > Just to be a little more pedantic...cyser includes pears...=)

> You COULD be correct of course.......Pears and apples are from the same
> plant family, and have very similar acid characteristics.

> I have seen apple trees with pear grafted onto..................

> HOWEVER..........

> I have never seen the claim to include pears in the term "cyser" in print
> until your message above.  That doesn't mean that you are incorrect, it
just
> means that I have never seen it. One can't prove a negative.

> BUT.  According to the AHA stylesbook, to quote from
> http://www.beertown.org/AHA/scstyles4.htm :

> "Melomel is made with any fruit or vegetable except apples or grapes.
Cyser
> is made with apples and/or apple juice. Pyment is made with grapes.
> Ingredients should be expressed in aroma and flavor. Color should
represent
> ingredients. Honey character apparent in aroma and flavor. Absence of
harsh
> or stale character. Can be dry, medium or sweet, which must be designated
on
> entry form."

> I have seen pear-honey wine referred to as "pear mead", "melomel",
> "pearmel", and "peary".  Don't hold me to the spelling of the last two,
it's
> been a long time and I don't remember which books I saw it...........But
at
> least it was formal literature.............And I have NEVER seen pears
> included in cyser in the formal literature that I have read......

> regards
> :o)
> dewey

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Dewey & Lucy Thompso » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> For references to "Pear mead" being referred to as Cyser look in "Mad
about
> Mead", by Pamela Spence page 173 or on the net at
> http://www2.coastalnet.com/~v4p6u4nb/mead-26.htm

As to Ms. Spence's book, I have not had the pleasure, and I would certainly
include her in "the formal" litereature.

But just what does Mr. Russo's web page have to do with anything?  It reads
to me to be in agreement with what I said.

Dewey

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Euphemis » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 14:30:35


Good call, glad to see you looked at the URL!  Now as to your question.  It
doesn't have anything to do with anything!?  Somehow I cut and pasted the
wrong link into the message and now I can't remember where I found the
original.  Anyway it would be nice to find at least one other reference,
Pamela Spence is a very entertaining author and I enjoyed her book, but she
doesn't always check all of her facts

Anybody else have any other references?



Quote:
> > For references to "Pear mead" being referred to as Cyser look in "Mad
> about
> > Mead", by Pamela Spence page 173 or on the net at
> > http://www2.coastalnet.com/~v4p6u4nb/mead-26.htm

> As to Ms. Spence's book, I have not had the pleasure, and I would
certainly
> include her in "the formal" litereature.

> But just what does Mr. Russo's web page have to do with anything?  It
reads
> to me to be in agreement with what I said.

> Dewey

 
 
 

Pear mead - how much pear?

Post by Scot Mc Pherso » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00


It doesn't matter really....cyser is what I will be calling it...

--
-Scot Mc Pherson
-Philosopher, Gardener, Beekeeper, Winemaker and Fishkeeper


Quote:
> Good call, glad to see you looked at the URL!  Now as to your question.
It
> doesn't have anything to do with anything!?  Somehow I cut and pasted the
> wrong link into the message and now I can't remember where I found the
> original.  Anyway it would be nice to find at least one other reference,
> Pamela Spence is a very entertaining author and I enjoyed her book, but
she
> doesn't always check all of her facts

> Anybody else have any other references?



> > > For references to "Pear mead" being referred to as Cyser look in "Mad
> > about
> > > Mead", by Pamela Spence page 173 or on the net at
> > > http://www2.coastalnet.com/~v4p6u4nb/mead-26.htm

> > As to Ms. Spence's book, I have not had the pleasure, and I would
> certainly
> > include her in "the formal" litereature.

> > But just what does Mr. Russo's web page have to do with anything?  It
> reads
> > to me to be in agreement with what I said.

> > Dewey