Mold in wine (Possible Answer)

Mold in wine (Possible Answer)

Post by Tim ODonnel » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 05:27:35



I too just had a struggle with mold in wine. It is a red made from
grapes and tastes very good but after my last racking I sulfited 3
gallons of the stuff and in a few days I had this mold on the surface.
It was a very thin white mold.

I don't believe that it was an infection of the wine as much as a
problem with sanitation. I am normally very stringent about sanitation.
Several days after I racked and sulfited the wine the mold appeared. I
took a paper towel and wiped the exposed portions of the carboy and
dabbed it into the wine a little. I then took some solution made from
campden tablets in a spray bottle and sprayed the sides of the carboy
and the bung and changd the airlock. insured the carboy was topped up
correctly (which was never an issue) and put the bung into the bottle.

The thing here is the spray bottle. After all I had just sulfited and
did not reall want to add more to the wine. So the spray bottle was able
to concentrate my efforts to a small area and quite possibly kept me
from seriously over sufiting my wine. You all can get the spray bottles
at any Wal Mart for a buck or two.

By the way its been three weeks and the mold has not returned.

Tim ODonnell

 
 
 

Mold in wine (Possible Answer)

Post by Scot Mc Pherso » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 05:51:23


make sure you get uncolored food grade plastic...Sulfite and sulfates are
bot stable compounds and can react badly with certain metals that are used
to color plastics

--
-Scot Mc Pherson
-Ummm....Just Scot


Quote:
> I too just had a struggle with mold in wine. It is a red made from
> grapes and tastes very good but after my last racking I sulfited 3
> gallons of the stuff and in a few days I had this mold on the surface.
> It was a very thin white mold.

> I don't believe that it was an infection of the wine as much as a
> problem with sanitation. I am normally very stringent about sanitation.
> Several days after I racked and sulfited the wine the mold appeared. I
> took a paper towel and wiped the exposed portions of the carboy and
> dabbed it into the wine a little. I then took some solution made from
> campden tablets in a spray bottle and sprayed the sides of the carboy
> and the bung and changd the airlock. insured the carboy was topped up
> correctly (which was never an issue) and put the bung into the bottle.

> The thing here is the spray bottle. After all I had just sulfited and
> did not reall want to add more to the wine. So the spray bottle was able
> to concentrate my efforts to a small area and quite possibly kept me
> from seriously over sufiting my wine. You all can get the spray bottles
> at any Wal Mart for a buck or two.

> By the way its been three weeks and the mold has not returned.

> Tim ODonnell



 
 
 

Mold in wine (Possible Answer)

Post by jackkelle » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 06:17:22


Tim, I would say well done.  I don't know what the mold was, but your
actions seem most prudent.  Also, the spray bottle was a nice solution
(pun intended) to the problem.  I'll keep it in my future arsenal....

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page,
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/1172/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.