Using a Hydrometer

Using a Hydrometer

Post by WDiamo » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:12:18



Folks,

Can anyone explain the easiest way to use a hydrometer? I'm not real
sure just how this thing works, and don't want to make a mistake. Any
good on-line tutorials out there?

Thanks!

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Kent Perss » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:29:08


Quote:

> Folks,

> Can anyone explain the easiest way to use a hydrometer? I'm not real
> sure just how this thing works, and don't want to make a mistake. Any
> good on-line tutorials out there?

http://www.partyman.se/sg-hydrometer_contents.htm

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Dewey & Lucy Thompso » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 13:21:07


1. Clean it.
2. Clean the measuring tube.
3. Put some wine must in the measuring tube.  Not too full, or it will
overflow.  Also, minimize solids.
4. place hydrometer in the tube.
5. Allow to stabilize and read.  Read "the bottom of the curve" when looking
at the side view of the liquid.
6. Determine results.  THAT's the hard part.

See Jack Keller's website.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by JArment2 » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 06:02:56


Quote:
>1. Clean it.
>2. Clean the measuring tube.
>3. Put some wine must in the measuring tube.  Not too full, or it will
>overflow.  Also, minimize solids.
>4. place hydrometer in the tube.
>5. Allow to stabilize and read.  Read "the bottom of the curve" when looking
>at the side view of the liquid.
>6. Determine results.  THAT's the hard part.

I give mine a spin as I drop it in to clear bubbles that cling to the side and
give false readings.
 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Karl Sigerist Sr » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:32:31


Quote:

> >1. Clean it.
> >2. Clean the measuring tube.
> >3. Put some wine must in the measuring tube.  Not too full, or it will
> >overflow.  Also, minimize solids.
> >4. place hydrometer in the tube.
> >5. Allow to stabilize and read.  Read "the bottom of the curve" when
looking
> >at the side view of the liquid.
> >6. Determine results.  THAT's the hard part.

> I give mine a spin as I drop it in to clear bubbles that cling to the side
and
> give false readings.

I do this different.
I found the filling up of the measuring tube with wine every time very
combersome using the wine thief, which of course does not
fit into my glass carboy ( 1 -1/16 bottle neck) did not work

1. I filled the measuring tube with Sulphite solution and keep
the Hydrometer in the filled measuring tube, this way the Hydrometer
is ready to be used anytime

2. I took a 4"length x 3/4"wide masking tape
folded it and stuck one end to the top 1/4"part of the Hydrometer.
(I one is carefull this part never comes in contact with the wine anyway)

3. I drop (very slowly of course).the Hydrometer in the
1-3/16" carboy bottle neck or into the fermenter.

I hang on to the length of tape a bit rotating clears the bubbles
and keeps the meter away from the glass neck
the reading is a bit more difficult. But I don't worry about it
when I am few points of, I don't care if the reading is for example
1020 or 1023, or when the wine is ready for bottling as long as
the reading is very close to the 0990 mark I am happy.
my 0.02 cents worth
--
Karl Sigerist Sr.

Surrey, British Columbia
To reply; please remove the 1 in front of the K

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Don Shesnick » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:31:45


Nice trick, makes you wish they made these things with
a small hoop at one end to tie a string to. Perhaps some sort
of plastic collar that you could slip over it.

Don

Quote:

> 1. I filled the measuring tube with Sulphite solution and keep
> the Hydrometer in the filled measuring tube, this way the Hydrometer
> is ready to be used anytime

> 2. I took a 4"length x 3/4"wide masking tape
> folded it and stuck one end to the top 1/4"part of the Hydrometer.
> (I one is carefull this part never comes in contact with the wine anyway)

> 3. I drop (very slowly of course).the Hydrometer in the
> 1-3/16" carboy bottle neck or into the fermenter.

> I hang on to the length of tape a bit rotating clears the bubbles
> and keeps the meter away from the glass neck
> the reading is a bit more difficult. But I don't worry about it
> when I am few points of, I don't care if the reading is for example
> 1020 or 1023, or when the wine is ready for bottling as long as
> the reading is very close to the 0990 mark I am happy.
> my 0.02 cents worth
> --
> Karl Sigerist Sr.

> Surrey, British Columbia
> To reply; please remove the 1 in front of the K

--

Cadabra Design Automation, Veritas DataCenter 3.4, Solaris7
 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Randy Free » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:39:51


Here are a couple of web sites that might help you with your hydrometer.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp

http://www.geocities.com/mipeman/sugar.html#sg

Good Luck :-)
Randy
http://rankel.com/links


Quote:
> Folks,

> Can anyone explain the easiest way to use a hydrometer? I'm not real
> sure just how this thing works, and don't want to make a mistake. Any
> good on-line tutorials out there?

> Thanks!

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by frederick ploegma » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:57:15


This won't work !!  The Hydrometer works because it's weight is
very carefully calculated against it's buoyancy in liquids.  Attaching
*anything* to it throws off this equilibrium and will cause it to give
false readings.


Quote:

> Nice trick, makes you wish they made these things with
> a small hoop at one end to tie a string to. Perhaps some sort
> of plastic collar that you could slip over it.

> Don

> > 1. I filled the measuring tube with Sulphite solution and keep
> > the Hydrometer in the filled measuring tube, this way the Hydrometer
> > is ready to be used anytime

> > 2. I took a 4"length x 3/4"wide masking tape
> > folded it and stuck one end to the top 1/4"part of the Hydrometer.
> > (I one is carefull this part never comes in contact with the wine
anyway)

> > 3. I drop (very slowly of course).the Hydrometer in the
> > 1-3/16" carboy bottle neck or into the fermenter.

> > I hang on to the length of tape a bit rotating clears the bubbles
> > and keeps the meter away from the glass neck
> > the reading is a bit more difficult. But I don't worry about it
> > when I am few points of, I don't care if the reading is for example
> > 1020 or 1023, or when the wine is ready for bottling as long as
> > the reading is very close to the 0990 mark I am happy.
> > my 0.02 cents worth
> > --
> > Karl Sigerist Sr.

> > Surrey, British Columbia
> > To reply; please remove the 1 in front of the K

> --

> Cadabra Design Automation, Veritas DataCenter 3.4, Solaris7

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Don Shesnick » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 03:48:14


Quote:
> This won't work !!  The Hydrometer works because it's weight is
> very carefully calculated against it's buoyancy in liquids.  Attaching
> *anything* to it throws off this equilibrium and will cause it to give
> false readings.

Perhaps something like one of those clawed pickle grabbers
could be used to lower the hydrometer into the must and
retreive it. The real solution would be to have the hydrometer
made with a hoop on the end.

If you attached something to the hydrometer couldn't you just
recalibrate it for the additional weight?

Don

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Mark Willstatt » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 06:04:24


Since we seem to be putting replies at the top...  

Of course accuracy is going to impaired somewhat but 'this won't work'
goes a little far, I think.  As long as his tape/string/whatever has
very little mass compared to the rest of the hydrometer, it seems like
this should be workable.  He *did* say he was willing to give up a
little accuracy.

Quote:

> This won't work !!  The Hydrometer works because it's weight is
> very carefully calculated against it's buoyancy in liquids.  Attaching
> *anything* to it throws off this equilibrium and will cause it to give
> false readings.



> > Nice trick, makes you wish they made these things with
> > a small hoop at one end to tie a string to. Perhaps some sort
> > of plastic collar that you could slip over it.

> > Don

> > > 1. I filled the measuring tube with Sulphite solution and keep
> > > the Hydrometer in the filled measuring tube, this way the Hydrometer
> > > is ready to be used anytime

> > > 2. I took a 4"length x 3/4"wide masking tape
> > > folded it and stuck one end to the top 1/4"part of the Hydrometer.
> > > (I one is carefull this part never comes in contact with the wine
>  anyway)

> > > 3. I drop (very slowly of course).the Hydrometer in the
> > > 1-3/16" carboy bottle neck or into the fermenter.

> > > I hang on to the length of tape a bit rotating clears the bubbles
> > > and keeps the meter away from the glass neck
> > > the reading is a bit more difficult. But I don't worry about it
> > > when I am few points of, I don't care if the reading is for example
> > > 1020 or 1023, or when the wine is ready for bottling as long as
> > > the reading is very close to the 0990 mark I am happy.
> > > my 0.02 cents worth
> > > --
> > > Karl Sigerist Sr.

> > > Surrey, British Columbia
> > > To reply; please remove the 1 in front of the K

> > --

> > Cadabra Design Automation, Veritas DataCenter 3.4, Solaris7

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Jack Kell » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:07:56


Karl, I just sanitize my hydrometer in sulfite solution for 2-3
minutes and drop it in the carboy with a little twist of the fingers.
Since I keep my carboys topped up to within an inch or so of the top,
the displacement from the hydrometer raises the hydrometer right up
the neck to the brim and I can easily recover it normally.  Top up,
lose the tape and get accurate.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Jeff Cu » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:40:25


Yeah, I do it like Jack does. If you can't reach the hydrometer it seems
to me you've got a bit too much air space in the carboy.
By the way, I finally located one of those hydrometers & test jars that
center the hydrometer magnetically (at bottom of page)
http://www.bobsbrewhaus.com/catalog/test_eq/test_equipment_hydrometer...
Whatcha think?
Jeff
 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Joe Sallust » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:09:05


Quote:
> Karl, I just sanitize my hydrometer in sulfite solution for 2-3
> minutes and drop it in the carboy with a little twist of the fingers.
> Since I keep my carboys topped up to within an inch or so of the top,
> the displacement from the hydrometer raises the hydrometer right up
> the neck to the brim and I can easily recover it normally.  Top up,
> lose the tape and get accurate.

That's what I do too.  I really think the tape idea is novel, but the
whole point of this is to get a reasonably accurate measurement and
tape is definitely going to alter the reading.

One note on reading the hydrometer since there were a few comments on
that too. You read at the level of the liquid, not the bottom of the
depression or the top of the meniscus. One way to do that is to make
sure whatever vessel you are using overflows, that way you can sight
right across the top of it.
Regards
Joe

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Don Shesnick » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:31:44


I think Karl was talking about earlier in the ferment. I don't
keep my carboys topped up until after the fermentation is
finished as I believe the CO2 will protect the wine from
oxidation. Am I wrong here?

Don

Quote:
> Karl, I just sanitize my hydrometer in sulfite solution for 2-3
> minutes and drop it in the carboy with a little twist of the fingers.
> Since I keep my carboys topped up to within an inch or so of the top,
> the displacement from the hydrometer raises the hydrometer right up
> the neck to the brim and I can easily recover it normally.  Top up,
> lose the tape and get accurate.

 
 
 

Using a Hydrometer

Post by Don Shesnick » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:35:11


But it will alter the readings in a known way. Easy enough to
compensate for it unless it is not linear but even then it is
possible. I'm not trying to argue this for the sake of argument,
it sounds like a good trick as does the idea of using the
hydrometer right in a topped up carboy.

Don

Quote:
> That's what I do too.  I really think the tape idea is novel, but the
> whole point of this is to get a reasonably accurate measurement and
> tape is definitely going to alter the reading.