Did I Kill My Yeast

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by stilettorai » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:40:33



I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on Monday
but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the yeast, not
at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
fermentation from happening?

--
Nathan Morefield
Engineer, Bass Player, and Nice Guy

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by Joe » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:42:29


I'm a new guy around here too, but I think I can answer this one...campden
tablets are used to kill wild yeast before adding your wine
yeast...everything i've seen states you should wait at least 24 hours (if
you used campden tablets) before putting in your yeast...i would give it 24
hours and add in your yeast again

Joe


Quote:
> I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on
Monday
> but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
> particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the yeast,
not
> at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
> fermentation from happening?

> --
> Nathan Morefield
> Engineer, Bass Player, and Nice Guy


 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by J Dixo » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:53:52


Nathan,
    What you did is not the best method, but I am willing to bet if you
added a reasonable amount of sulphite then your fermentation will be going
in another day. Give it a couple days and if it doesn't get going let us
know.HTH
John Dixon

Quote:
> I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on
Monday
> but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
> particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the yeast,
not
> at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
> fermentation from happening?

> --
> Nathan Morefield
> Engineer, Bass Player, and Nice Guy

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by stilettorai » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:33:31


Thanks guys,
I'll keep my fingers crossed....

--
Nathan Morefield
Engineer, Bass Player, and Nice Guy

Quote:
> Nathan,
>     What you did is not the best method, but I am willing to bet if you
> added a reasonable amount of sulphite then your fermentation will be going
> in another day. Give it a couple days and if it doesn't get going let us
> know.HTH
> John Dixon


> > I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on
> Monday
> > but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
> > particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the yeast,
> not
> > at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
> > fermentation from happening?

> > --
> > Nathan Morefield
> > Engineer, Bass Player, and Nice Guy

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by Ian Uprigh » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 04:17:20


Quote:

>I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on Monday
>but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
>particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the yeast, not
>at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
>fermentation from happening?

Sure, it can have an effect.. if there is any doubt, just pitch some more
yeast.. it doesn't hurt.

Ian

---
http://www.upright.net/ian/

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by Brian Lundee » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 04:21:19



Quote:
> I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on
Monday
> but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
> particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the yeast,
not
> at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
> fermentation from happening?

It could also be the dreaded Blueberry Effect. ;-)

I have a friend who regularly makes blueberry wine, and virtually every
time, it seems to take a long time for the yeast to get going. He has never
figured out what causes this. Perhaps some types of blueberries (or perhaps
where or how they are grown) have some sort of inhibiting compound in their
juice. Pure speculation on my part, but the observed effect has been very
real.

Brian

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by 22 Bri » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:29:16


Yes the "Dreaded Blueberry Effect" is real.  I started a blueberry wine and
a blueberry melomel 6 months ago and they are still actively but slowly
producing fermentation bubbles, my OG was about 1.100 and is slowly falling
towards 1.000.  I used fresh blueberries, from the local grocery store that
also made a killer blueberry pie.  Granted the cool winter weather had some
effect in slowing things down, but I guess only time will tell.

22brix


Quote:



> > I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on
> Monday
> > but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
> > particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the yeast,
> not
> > at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
> > fermentation from happening?

> It could also be the dreaded Blueberry Effect. ;-)

> I have a friend who regularly makes blueberry wine, and virtually every
> time, it seems to take a long time for the yeast to get going. He has
never
> figured out what causes this. Perhaps some types of blueberries (or
perhaps
> where or how they are grown) have some sort of inhibiting compound in
their
> juice. Pure speculation on my part, but the observed effect has been very
> real.

> Brian

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by evilpaul » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:05:03


Quote:



> > I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on
>  Monday
> > but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
> > particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the yeast,
>  not
> > at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
> > fermentation from happening?

> It could also be the dreaded Blueberry Effect. ;-)

> I have a friend who regularly makes blueberry wine, and virtually every
> time, it seems to take a long time for the yeast to get going. He has never
> figured out what causes this. Perhaps some types of blueberries (or perhaps
> where or how they are grown) have some sort of inhibiting compound in their
> juice. Pure speculation on my part, but the observed effect has been very
> real.

> Brian

I'd guess it is probably from either already present sulphites or
pesticides of some sort that weren't washed away well enough..
 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by Karen Hei » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:07:24


Really?  Hmmm . . . I had a different problem.

I'm just finishing a blueberry melomel.  Its OG was about 1.100 also.
 It took right off and has stablized nicely at 1.012 after 3 months.  It
has the most astonishing flavor - really gets you right in the salivary
glands, not in an acid/puckery way, just powerful.  The problem I had
with it was that for about 6 weeks it looked and smelled like purple
Easter egg dye.  I was afraid it had an acetobacter infection, but
thought the worst that could happen was that I had a lot of incredible
blueberry vinegar, so I did nothing to correct it.  The vinegar smell
was never very strong, and there was no vinegar taste.  Over time, the
smell slowly decreased and finally disappeared.  Has anyone else had
this problem with blueberry?

Karen

Quote:

>Yes the "Dreaded Blueberry Effect" is real.  I started a blueberry wine and
>a blueberry melomel 6 months ago and they are still actively but slowly
>producing fermentation bubbles, my OG was about 1.100 and is slowly falling
>towards 1.000.  I used fresh blueberries, from the local grocery store that
>also made a killer blueberry pie.  Granted the cool winter weather had some
>effect in slowing things down, but I guess only time will tell.

>22brix

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by Dar » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:31:31


We were thinking the same thing on another thread, but we were talking about
rhubarb and the difficulty in clearing that wine.  As a gardener, I know
that the variations in amount of rain and temperature, and soil can affect
how things taste, so I guess it can't be that far off to think that making a
wine from these things will be affected as well.  As I recall from one of my
gardening books, blueberries require an strongly acidic soil with a pH of
4-5 which is the pH of orange juice to a moderately acid soil.  Maybe this
has something to do with it...?
Darlene



Quote:


> > > I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on
> >  Monday
> > > but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
> > > particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the
yeast,
> >  not
> > > at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
> > > fermentation from happening?

> > It could also be the dreaded Blueberry Effect. ;-)

> > I have a friend who regularly makes blueberry wine, and virtually every
> > time, it seems to take a long time for the yeast to get going. He has
never
> > figured out what causes this. Perhaps some types of blueberries (or
perhaps
> > where or how they are grown) have some sort of inhibiting compound in
their
> > juice. Pure speculation on my part, but the observed effect has been
very
> > real.

> > Brian

> I'd guess it is probably from either already present sulphites or
> pesticides of some sort that weren't washed away well enough..

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by Rex Frankli » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:13:59


I seem to recall that Blueberries (particularly those grown on the Pacific
North West) produce something like a natural sorbate that tends to inhibit
fermentation

Quote:
> Really?  Hmmm . . . I had a different problem.

> I'm just finishing a blueberry melomel.  Its OG was about 1.100 also.
>  It took right off and has stablized nicely at 1.012 after 3 months.  It
> has the most astonishing flavor - really gets you right in the salivary
> glands, not in an acid/puckery way, just powerful.  The problem I had
> with it was that for about 6 weeks it looked and smelled like purple
> Easter egg dye.  I was afraid it had an acetobacter infection, but
> thought the worst that could happen was that I had a lot of incredible
> blueberry vinegar, so I did nothing to correct it.  The vinegar smell
> was never very strong, and there was no vinegar taste.  Over time, the
> smell slowly decreased and finally disappeared.  Has anyone else had
> this problem with blueberry?

> Karen


> >Yes the "Dreaded Blueberry Effect" is real.  I started a blueberry wine
and
> >a blueberry melomel 6 months ago and they are still actively but slowly
> >producing fermentation bubbles, my OG was about 1.100 and is slowly
falling
> >towards 1.000.  I used fresh blueberries, from the local grocery store
that
> >also made a killer blueberry pie.  Granted the cool winter weather had
some
> >effect in slowing things down, but I guess only time will tell.

> >22brix

 
 
 

Did I Kill My Yeast

Post by stilettorai » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:49:08


Well,
After 4 days and absolutely no sign of life, I added some more yeast last
night.  This morning the airlock was dancin' like James Brown.  I'm guessing
the Campden tablets so close to the Yeast is what did it... live and learn.
BTW, these are Oregon blue berries, so maybe the NW Blueberry effect is also
at work here...
Thanks to all for your input.
Nathan Morefield
Engineer, Bass Player, and Nice Guy


Quote:
> We were thinking the same thing on another thread, but we were talking
about
> rhubarb and the difficulty in clearing that wine.  As a gardener, I know
> that the variations in amount of rain and temperature, and soil can affect
> how things taste, so I guess it can't be that far off to think that making
a
> wine from these things will be affected as well.  As I recall from one of
my
> gardening books, blueberries require an strongly acidic soil with a pH of
> 4-5 which is the pH of orange juice to a moderately acid soil.  Maybe this
> has something to do with it...?
> Darlene







> > > > I started a batch of blueberry wine on Sunday.  I added the yeast on
> > >  Monday
> > > > but as of 28 hours later, not one single fizz.  I noticed that this
> > > > particular recipe called for adding the Campden tablet before the
> yeast,
> > >  not
> > > > at the same time.  Could putting them in at the same time keep the
> > > > fermentation from happening?

> > > It could also be the dreaded Blueberry Effect. ;-)

> > > I have a friend who regularly makes blueberry wine, and virtually
every
> > > time, it seems to take a long time for the yeast to get going. He has
> never
> > > figured out what causes this. Perhaps some types of blueberries (or
> perhaps
> > > where or how they are grown) have some sort of inhibiting compound in
> their
> > > juice. Pure speculation on my part, but the observed effect has been
> very
> > > real.

> > > Brian

> > I'd guess it is probably from either already present sulphites or
> > pesticides of some sort that weren't washed away well enough..