>Maybe a newbie question but we have always made red wine and
>after crushing our white seedless grapes and transferring to 25 litre
>appears to have stopped fermenting?
Stopped fermenting? As in it was fermenting before? Or as in you just
crushed the grapes and it hasn't started spontaneous fermentation?
Depending on the grapes and their source you may or may not have sufficient
natural wild yeasts on the skins to have spontaneous fermentation just as you
appear to have had with red grapes in the past.
If you want the spontaneous fermentation, wait a couple of days. If not, add
sulphite and yeast.
I have also had an actively fermenting wine -- at about sg 1.005 --
transferred to secondary apparently stop fermenting after sulphiting (or at
least a such wine bubbling actively before and stop after). I figure that it
finishes fermenting on its own but the trasnfer is enough shock to remove
almost all carbonation such that it "mysteriously" lowers its sg through
whatever processes (fermentation completed, lowered solids as they settle
out, less bouyancy of the hydrometer due to CO2, etc.)
Winemaking linx & FTP, rec.crafts.winemaking FAQ, 1st Baptist Scout Troop
(Mtl Que Can), firestarter FAQ, Scouting FTP & Ask-A-Scout(er), Star Trek
linx & FTP, Help Stop Spam, Zee Svedish Cheff, Summer Camp selection