I'm fermenting my first grapes & would like opinions/suggestions on my
Started with Vidal 61.5# & Chardonel 65# of grapes & have 5 gallons of
each in primary.
1. Vidal - Brix 16.5 - pH 3.06 - TA 0.90
Crushed, destemmed, added sulfite & pectic enzyme,
Pressed after 12 hours, added 40oz sugar, 24 hours later added 6 grams
Fermaid, 71B yeast.
After 6 days SG 1.024.
Average temp 63
2. Chardonel Brix 20.3 - pH 3.04 - TA 1.03
Same crush & press schedule. Added 24oz sugar, same nutrient & yeast
after 24 hours & same fermentation temp.
After 6 days SG 1.032
I added 3 grams more of Fermaid 48 hours after the yeast was pitched.
Now for questions:
1. Would the hard press raise the pH noticably. (have pH meter, no
calibration solution yet)
2. Did I add enough sugar?
3. I'll be racking to carboys soon, should I rack the lees as well?
4. What benefits vs risks would be involved in aging on the lees?
5. Would cold stabilization in the future risk lowering pH further?
6. What should I expect (best case) from these wines when finished?
Keep in mind these are my first attempts with grapes & it is a learning