Clearing or Not.

Clearing or Not.

Post by G & C Unge » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:08:13



I started a Pumpkin wine in November and it doesn't seem to be clearing. I
added Pectic Enzyme in the must. I have been waiting for it to clear
naturally but that doesn't seem to be happening. Should I add a fining agent
or am I not waiting long enough?
 
 
 

Clearing or Not.

Post by J Dixo » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:36:19


I dont know anything about pumpkin wine, but I would have expected at least
moderately clear wine by now... Give us some  more information as to the
process: what yeast, sulfites added, taste as of now, original
hydrometer,and current s.g., amount of sugar added etc.



Quote:
> I started a Pumpkin wine in November and it doesn't seem to be clearing. I
> added Pectic Enzyme in the must. I have been waiting for it to clear
> naturally but that doesn't seem to be happening. Should I add a fining
agent
> or am I not waiting long enough?


 
 
 

Clearing or Not.

Post by Jeff Cu » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:56:55


Yep, need more info, the recipe used, ingredient amounts, when racked,
etc.

I have 3 gal of pumpkin in carboy for 3 weeks now, used baked pumpkin,
loads of sediment, started with 4.5 gal in primary & now have about 4
inches of sediment in the carboy, but it is clearing pretty well
already. I used 4 tsp of pectic enzyme powder & 1 tsp of grape tannin
which may have helped?
With pectic enzyme drops, I usually use almost double the amount
"required", but that's just me.
Jeff

 
 
 

Clearing or Not.

Post by G & C Unge » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:18:12


I used
     26 lbs Pumpkin
    13 lbs Suger
    375 gram bag of Raisins (for body, I hope)
    13 tsp Acid blend
    1 1/2 liquid Tannin
    5 Campden tablets

I then waited 24 hrs and pitched the yeast (EC-1118 Yeast) also added 3 1/2
tsp Pectic Enzyme
Original S.G. was 1.100 it's now at .996

Buy the way it also tastes quite harsh, almost like mouthwash.

Since my last post I added 1 /12 tsp more Pecic Enzyme. Of course there is
no results yet.

 
 
 

Clearing or Not.

Post by Jake Enn » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:07:45


1/12th tsp?

I hope you are not expecting such a small amount to do much.

Jake

Quote:

> Since my last post I added 1 /12 tsp more Pecic Enzyme. Of course there is
> no results yet.

 
 
 

Clearing or Not.

Post by Gord » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:49:15


Sorry that was 1 1/2 tsp more Pectic Enzyme


Quote:
> 1/12th tsp?

> I hope you are not expecting such a small amount to do much.

> Jake

> > Since my last post I added 1 /12 tsp more Pecic Enzyme. Of course there
is
> > no results yet.