Prickly Pear Wine sanity check

Prickly Pear Wine sanity check

Post by David Whatle » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:15:19



This is my first attempt at ***ly pear wine, so I have some questions.

Using a steam-juicer I collected 3 gallons of juice from purple, ripe
central Texas ***ly pears..
Starting SG was 1.022, so I added enough sugar to bring it up to 1.093.
I added potassium metabisulfite to get 50 ppm SO2 (calculated, not
measured.)
Waited a day, then added yeast energizer and pitched Lalvin RC212. Not
sure why I picked that one.

Currently, SG is at .993, mesaured SO2 (Chemetrics) is 70 ppm (!), and
pH is 4.2.
I've racked it and there is still some activity going on. Today I'm
going to measure and adjust the TA and pH. I'll also run a paper
chromotography test just for fun.

What TA and pH range should I shoot for with this wine? I'm thinking TA
.65 and pH 3.5 using Acid Blend, but I'm not sure.
Should I have made this adjustment BEFORE fermentation?
I like dry wines, but am wondering if a fruit wine like this would be
better semi-dry.
The juice was kind of viscous, a little mucilagenous maybe because it's
cactus juice. Will that affect my gravity readings? Will that detract
from the taste?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any ideas.
David

 
 
 

Prickly Pear Wine sanity check

Post by Andrew Werb » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 05:37:39



Quote:
> This is my first attempt at ***ly pear wine, so I have some questions.

> Using a steam-juicer I collected 3 gallons of juice from purple, ripe
> central Texas ***ly pears..

[What's a steam-juicer? I hope it isn't something that cooks the fruit-
that's bad for winemaking.]

Quote:
> Starting SG was 1.022, so I added enough sugar to bring it up to 1.093.
> I added potassium metabisulfite to get 50 ppm SO2 (calculated, not
> measured.)
> Waited a day, then added yeast energizer and pitched Lalvin RC212. Not
> sure why I picked that one.

> Currently, SG is at .993, mesaured SO2 (Chemetrics) is 70 ppm (!), and
> pH is 4.2.
> I've racked it and there is still some activity going on. Today I'm
> going to measure and adjust the TA and pH. I'll also run a paper
> chromotography test just for fun.

> What TA and pH range should I shoot for with this wine? I'm thinking TA
> .65 and pH 3.5 using Acid Blend, but I'm not sure.
> Should I have made this adjustment BEFORE fermentation?
> I like dry wines, but am wondering if a fruit wine like this would be
> better semi-dry.

[I think it would be better sweet. It's probably never going to pass for a
dinner wine, so go for dessert.]

Quote:
> The juice was kind of viscous, a little mucilagenous maybe because it's
> cactus juice. Will that affect my gravity readings?

[Probably. SG is essentially a measure of the "thickness" of the solution.
Oatmeal, for instance, has a high SG, even if it's not sweetened. For a
better measure of sugar in a solution like that, you might try some of the
test strips that diabetics use. ]

 Will that detract

Quote:
> from the taste?

[It might go away with fermentation. If not, pectic enzymes might break it
down.]

Quote:
> Any other suggestions?

[Make sure you get rid of all those *** little thorns. I'm usually against
filtration of wines, but I'd make an exception in this case...]

Andrew Werby
http://www.FoundCollection.com/