expiration date on winemaking kit

expiration date on winemaking kit

Post by Casey's Mo » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00



Hello list,

I have just discovered you all and have enjoyed your informative banter
incredibly!

I am just about to rack my first batch of kit wine!

I am wondering what, if any, effects will come from using a kit after its
expiration date?

The one I have here is best before May 2000.  But, my experience with things
in the kitchen leads me to believe that "best before" is not necessarily
"Bad After."

Any thoughts?

Lisa

--
The truth is out there....

 
 
 

expiration date on winemaking kit

Post by cagn » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Lisa,

Welcome to the best hobby I know of!

You are definitely in an *iffy* situation, and I don't know all
the answers, but here are some of my thoughts:

First, the problem with old kits is has the juice been oxidixed
or is it sufficiently stabilized that it is still O.K.?  What
type kit do you have (white or red, variety of grape juice,
brand, etc)?  White juices tend to darken and turn yellowish or
brownish, I think).  Reds will also darken, but a bit harder to
detect since the must (juice) is dark to begin with.  Look for a
brownish cast as a bad sign.

Having said all that, since you have fermented to 1st racking,
just keep on going and see how it turns out.  Be patient, and so
long as color looks good and it smells sort of like wine, keep
on going.  If it smells like vinegar, throw it out.  Likewise if
it looks more like prune juice than wine.

Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

Cagno

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

expiration date on winemaking kit

Post by Edwin Pawlowsk » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00


about to rack my first batch of kit wine!

Quote:
> The one I have here is best before May 2000.  But, my experience with
things
> in the kitchen leads me to believe that "best before" is not necessarily
> "Bad After."

> Any thoughts?

> Lisa

Don't worry about it.  Everything is subject to deterioration over time and
the supplier wants you to be happy with their product.  Most tend to be
conservative with buy before date.  One kit maker told me their kits should
be good for more than a year after the date, but to check the yeast packet
and replace  if it is too old.

Just remember some of the little hints you've seen here and don't rush that
kit.  It will be better if you take more time and do at least one extra
racking about a week after the instructions say you can bottle it.  Then let
it bulk age some more.

Consider racking into a 19 liter carboy and bottling the rest so you can
enjoy your new hobby.  Take some notes so six months after you can bottle
and compare and see how much it has improved.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

 
 
 

expiration date on winemaking kit

Post by Trevor Panthe » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00


The usual trouble with kits just out of date is that the yeast is sluggish
and it is a good idea to ask the vendor to goive you an in date packet of
yeast. All else aside, I think you would be most unfortunate to have a bad
result. But beware long OOD kits!

Quote:
> Hello list,

> I have just discovered you all and have enjoyed your informative banter
> incredibly!

> I am just about to rack my first batch of kit wine!

> I am wondering what, if any, effects will come from using a kit after its
> expiration date?

> The one I have here is best before May 2000.  But, my experience with
things
> in the kitchen leads me to believe that "best before" is not necessarily
> "Bad After."

> Any thoughts?

> Lisa

> --
> The truth is out there....

 
 
 

expiration date on winemaking kit

Post by SchlossGois » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

>Hello list,

>I have just discovered you all and have enjoyed your
>informative banter incredibly!

>I am just about to rack my first batch of kit wine!
>...snip...

---------------------

Hi Lisa:

Welcome to the World's Greatest Hobby & the World's Greatest
Newsgroup!

Good luck with the kit.  It should be fine.

Regarding your expiration date...Keep in mind that the kit's
storage requirements are not unlike those of a bottle of wine.

If the kit was stored at a cool & constant temperature, there is
very little change that you will have any problems.  If,
however, the kit was stored in very warm/hot &/or flucuating
temperatures, then you might experience some "off" flavors.

Finally, however, as has been said, I have found that the "best
by" dates are very conservative in that the kit is usually still
well within its frteshness window on that date.  IOW, don't
sweat it!

In closing, I like to order kits from my shoppe which are _not_
in stock.  This gives me the opportunity to get my hands on the
kit the day that it is delivered & I can ensure that the kit has
not been subject to adverse storage conditions after leaving the
manufacturer.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Prosit:
Ed

The Viticulture FAQ & Glossary: http://www.itsmysite.com/vitfaq
-------------------------------
"Wine is the High Priest for the Uncommon Nuptials between
 the Body & Soul of Men". -George Meredith, British Author

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

expiration date on winemaking kit

Post by Casey's Mo » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Thanks for the warm welcome!

What

Quote:
> type kit do you have <snip> Look for a
> brownish cast as a bad sign.

I have a Prestige Fruit wine kit, Raspberry.  The juices looked good, they
were a deep burgundy color to start.

Quote:
>If it smells like vinegar, throw it out.  Likewise if
> it looks more like prune juice than wine.

Thanks for this advice. I tasted it last night and it does smell and taste
like wine, young wine, but wine.<g>  I guess I'm on the right track...

Quote:

> Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

Will do!

Lisa

 
 
 

expiration date on winemaking kit

Post by Casey's Mo » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
>Most tend to be
> conservative with buy before date.  One kit maker told me their kits
should
> be good for more than a year after the date, but to check the yeast packet
> and replace  if it is too old.

Thanks Edwin,
That's what I thought.
I did check the yeast packet and it was fine.
It's been bubbling fervishly!
Lisa
 
 
 

expiration date on winemaking kit

Post by Casey's Mo » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Hi Ed,

Quote:
> Regarding your expiration date...Keep in mind that the kit's
> storage requirements are not unlike those of a bottle of wine.

Good point!   I bought it at our local, well-respected winemaking shop,
hopefully they took care to handle it well!

Quote:
> Finally, however, as has been said, I have found that the "best
> by" dates are very conservative in that the kit is usually still
> well within its frteshness window on that date.  IOW, don't
> sweat it!

Thanks, I won't!

Lisa
-who took up winemaking to learn some PATIENCE!!