Adding sugar to wine

Adding sugar to wine

Post by Julie » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:12:42



An other couple of weeks and my first batch of wine should be ready for
bottling. If I want a little sweeter wine(semi-sec)  How much sugar should I
add and when should I add it??? My wine is a RJ Spagnols Grand Cru red
Bergamais in a 5 gallons carboy. So far I have followed the kits'
instructions to the letter.

Thanks in advance

Julien

 
 
 

Adding sugar to wine

Post by Tom » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 05:14:30


Julien,

The answer is .......

As you can see there is no answer, it will be different for you then it is
for me.  It's all subjective.  Here's what I do.

At bottling time I bench test by adding different amounts of sugar water to
pre measured wine.  (normally use splits so as to not waste much  (we still
drink it all).  Let it sit over night. (corked or sealed somehow)  I let my
wife taste next day.  (shes the one who likes it slightly sweeter.)  When
she picks one I note the sugar added, extrapolate for that batch volume and
add to wine at bottling.  Of course I always bottle some dry and label
accordingly as I like it dryer.  She has found she has to look at my labels
as she can always tell the difference!

Note I add to the bottle not to the carboy as then you have to stir and
quite possibly you will have a thin layer of sediment that may cloud a
perfectly beautiful wine.  BTW, dont forget to sulphite and sorbate if you
are going to sweeten.

Tom

Quote:
> An other couple of weeks and my first batch of wine should be ready for
> bottling. If I want a little sweeter wine(semi-sec)  How much sugar should
I
> add and when should I add it??? My wine is a RJ Spagnols Grand Cru red
> Bergamais in a 5 gallons carboy. So far I have followed the kits'
> instructions to the letter.

> Thanks in advance

> Julien


 
 
 

Adding sugar to wine

Post by Charles Hutchiso » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 09:37:11


I had made 5 gal of Lambrusco a couple of months ago.  When it was ready to
bottle I racked the wine into a 5 gal plastic bucket so as not to get any
fine lees at the bottom of the carboy.  The SG was .990.  I then added sugar
until the SG reached 1.002      And then bottled.  I was wondering myself if
this was a good thing to do as I'm kinda new at this also.  You think I
might have got too much air to the wine before bottling?

Chuck


Quote:
> Julien,

> The answer is .......

> As you can see there is no answer, it will be different for you then it is
> for me.  It's all subjective.  Here's what I do.

> At bottling time I bench test by adding different amounts of sugar water
to
> pre measured wine.  (normally use splits so as to not waste much  (we
still
> drink it all).  Let it sit over night. (corked or sealed somehow)  I let
my
> wife taste next day.  (shes the one who likes it slightly sweeter.)  When
> she picks one I note the sugar added, extrapolate for that batch volume
and
> add to wine at bottling.  Of course I always bottle some dry and label
> accordingly as I like it dryer.  She has found she has to look at my
labels
> as she can always tell the difference!

> Note I add to the bottle not to the carboy as then you have to stir and
> quite possibly you will have a thin layer of sediment that may cloud a
> perfectly beautiful wine.  BTW, dont forget to sulphite and sorbate if you
> are going to sweeten.

> Tom


> > An other couple of weeks and my first batch of wine should be ready for
> > bottling. If I want a little sweeter wine(semi-sec)  How much sugar
should
> I
> > add and when should I add it??? My wine is a RJ Spagnols Grand Cru red
> > Bergamais in a 5 gallons carboy. So far I have followed the kits'
> > instructions to the letter.

> > Thanks in advance

> > Julien

 
 
 

Adding sugar to wine

Post by Ray » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:07:19


A lot of people do it that way and you are probably OK if you gave it a
normal dose of sulphites.

Ray


Quote:
> I had made 5 gal of Lambrusco a couple of months ago.  When it was ready
to
> bottle I racked the wine into a 5 gal plastic bucket so as not to get any
> fine lees at the bottom of the carboy.  The SG was .990.  I then added
sugar
> until the SG reached 1.002      And then bottled.  I was wondering myself
if
> this was a good thing to do as I'm kinda new at this also.  You think I
> might have got too much air to the wine before bottling?

 
 
 

Adding sugar to wine

Post by vincent p. norri » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:04:13


Quote:
> How much sugar should I add and when should I add it???

Another way is to add the sugar when you're ready to drink it. That
way, you don't have to worry about fermentation turning your bottles
into grenades.

Still another way is to use Equal instead of sugar; it won't ferment.
In earlier disucssions, some netters have said it won't keep a long
time, though.

I understand it is now possible to buy "left-handed sugar."  Sugar,
with the atoms rearranged so that it won't ferment.  Don't know
anything about it, though.

vince norris

 
 
 

Adding sugar to wine

Post by Esteb » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:03:25


Quote:

> I had made 5 gal of Lambrusco a couple of months ago.  When it was ready to
> bottle I racked the wine into a 5 gal plastic bucket so as not to get any
> fine lees at the bottom of the carboy.  The SG was .990.  I then added sugar
> until the SG reached 1.002      And then bottled.  I was wondering myself if
> this was a good thing to do as I'm kinda new at this also.  You think I
> might have got too much air to the wine before bottling?

> Chuck

 There shoud be no problem if you added sorbate to the wine, otherwise
your wine will ferment in the bottles and you will either have some
nice sparkling red wine or a mess! ; )