Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine

Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine

Post by genek » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:04:28



I have a 5 gal batch of apple wine that is about ready to be bottled.
I would like to sweeten it a little, and have been thinking about
using apple juice as the sweetener.  My question is what type of juice
should be used.  Suppermarket type, nector, organic, fresh pressed,
etc.  What about adding sorbate?
 
 
 

Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine

Post by Ray » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 01:37:55


On first impression I would think of apple juice which would keep the wine
pure.  But if you would like to add some subtle tones of a different fruit,
use the one you like.  Be careful of nectars as they may have solids which
will need to settle out.

I plan to add white grape juice to mine in the hopes that it will add a
touch of vinuosity to the wine.  But if you add Juice, remember to sorbate
and sulfite to prevent refermentation and I will leave mine in carboy for a
few more weeks to see if the juice causes the wine to cloud up.  You may
need to let it clear again.  -- What are a few more weeks if you get it the
way you want it anyway? ;o)

Ray


Quote:
> I have a 5 gal batch of apple wine that is about ready to be bottled.
> I would like to sweeten it a little, and have been thinking about
> using apple juice as the sweetener.  My question is what type of juice
> should be used.  Suppermarket type, nector, organic, fresh pressed,
> etc.  What about adding sorbate?


 
 
 

Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine

Post by glad hea » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:16:59


I hope organic apple juice is ok because that's what I topped mine up
with this afternoon.  I believe any of your choices are suitable.  As
Ray mention, clarity can be a consideration - especially if you've
already fined or filtered.

Point of interest:  I tested a number of sweetening agents for three
wines today.  I found grape concentrate to more successfully mask
tartness than juices and nectars for example, but I think it could
quickly overtake desirable flavours.  Be careful not to overdo it.

 
 
 

Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine

Post by glad hea » Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:02:20


Further Point of Interest:  less than 24 hours after adding "nectar"
to one of my wines, there is a surprisingly large sediment already.  I
topped up with "organic juice" in the others.  There is very little
sediment so far in those.
 
 
 

Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine

Post by quakeholi » Thu, 20 Nov 2003 04:56:26


The only thing that would give me pause about using organic is the question
of pasturization, or someother steralization/sanitization.


Quote:
> I hope organic apple juice is ok because that's what I topped mine up
> with this afternoon.  I believe any of your choices are suitable.  As
> Ray mention, clarity can be a consideration - especially if you've
> already fined or filtered.

> Point of interest:  I tested a number of sweetening agents for three
> wines today.  I found grape concentrate to more successfully mask
> tartness than juices and nectars for example, but I think it could
> quickly overtake desirable flavours.  Be careful not to overdo it.

 
 
 

Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine

Post by Charles » Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:34:57


Quote:

> The only thing that would give me pause about using organic is the question
> of pasturization, or someother steralization/sanitization.

Most, if not all, 'organic' juices for sale in the stores around here
are pasteurized. Organic or not, unpasteurized and untreated juice
doens't really keep unless frozen.

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields