Yeast, yeast, yeast

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Steve Cre » Tue, 01 Mar 1994 11:59:37



   This is a real beginner question, but one I haven't seen answered in
the few months I've been subscribed.  Where does one find yeast for
making wine?  Not specific places, but what kind of store carries it?  I
take it that it is not a good idea to use baker's yeast, or is it?

   If one cannot find yeast anywhere, how well (if at all) will it work
just to let the wine ferment on its own?

-       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -
Steve Creps, Indiana University

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Lee Bertagnol » Wed, 02 Mar 1994 00:12:57


Quote:

>    This is a real beginner question, but one I haven't seen answered in
> the few months I've been subscribed.  Where does one find yeast for
> making wine?  Not specific places, but what kind of store carries it?  I
> take it that it is not a good idea to use baker's yeast, or is it?

You might try a local homebrew supplier.  This is a sweeping generalization
on my part, but it seems that most of them carry both beer *and* wine making
supplies.

Quote:
>    If one cannot find yeast anywhere, how well (if at all) will it work
> just to let the wine ferment on its own?

In the small mining town where I grew up, letting the wine ferment naturally
was the normal mode of operation.  Of course, the old-timers were targeting
for a cheap table wine to go with spaghetti and palenta.  The wine was
either *good*, or *bad*.
--
****************************************************************************

*  via Sangamon State University                                           *
*  Springfield, Illinois                   "Abe's (and Bart's) Home Town"  *
****************************************************************************

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Steven Rezsut » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 22:19:46


   I have a long descrption on the various kinds of yeasts, what flavors they
   impart, and  what grape and style goes with each yeast if you're interested.

Well, *I* certainly would be interested as well.  Perhaps it is general enough
interest to warrent posting?

Thanks,

Steve  
--
---

Nyma / NASA GSFC        
Code 735.2                            Vox: +1 301 286 0897
Greenbelt, MD 20771    

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Rob Thom » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 23:21:08


Quote:

>>writes:
>>   I have a long descrption on the various kinds of yeasts, what flavors they
>>   impart, and  what grape and style goes with each yeast if you're interested.
>Well, *I* certainly would be interested as well.  Perhaps it is general
>enough interest to warrent posting?

Yes please!!!
rob thomas
 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by MDWIL.. » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 18:13:44



Quote:


>>>writes:

>>>   I have a long descrption on the various kinds of yeasts, what flavors they
>>>   impart, and  what grape and style goes with each yeast if you're
>interested.

>>Well, *I* certainly would be interested as well.  Perhaps it is general
>>enough interest to warrent posting?

>Yes please!!!
>rob thomas

Count me in too!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
REGARDS,
MARK WILLIAMS, EDP SYSTEMS AUDITOR
(my words alone, not my employers')

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Brian Lunde » Sun, 01 May 1994 02:17:37



Quote:

>Bertagnolli) writes:
>Steve,
>There are many kinds of yeast to use for wine available at home winemaking
>shops or lab supply houses.  Each yeast creates a subtle style with the wine.
>For cabernets one would likely use one of about 4 kinds of yeast...for
>chardonnay one would choose among a different set of about 4  yeasts.  I have a
>long descrption on the various kinds of yeasts, what flavors they impart, and
>what grape and style goes with each yeast if you're interested.

I'm sure we are all interested. Please post.

BEL

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Ian Beausoleil-Morriso » Sun, 01 May 1994 02:13:22



Quote:

>interest to warrent posting?

I second that.  I'm interested as well.
 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Lonely Wo » Sun, 01 May 1994 04:22:00


Quote:




>>>>writes:

>>>>   I have a long descrption on the various kinds of yeasts, what flavors they
>>>>   impart, and  what grape and style goes with each yeast if you're
>>interested.

>>>Well, *I* certainly would be interested as well.  Perhaps it is general
>>>enough interest to warrent posting?

>>Yes please!!!
>>rob thomas

>Count me in too!!

>-------------------------------------------------------------
>REGARDS,
>MARK WILLIAMS, EDP SYSTEMS AUDITOR
>(my words alone, not my employers')

make that four....
michael
(my words are mine, and my company's: i am self employed!)
 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Joel Birkela » Sun, 01 May 1994 06:49:00


There is a yeast FAQ in the homebrew archives at sierra.stanford.edu.  It is
primarily directed at beer yeast, but does include information on several types
of wine and mead yeast, as well as detailed information on yeast culturing.

Joel Birkeland
Motorola SPS

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Winemag » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 09:13:02



Quote:
Bertagnolli) writes:

Steve,

There are many kinds of yeast to use for wine available at home winemaking
shops or lab supply houses.  Each yeast creates a subtle style with the wine.
For cabernets one would likely use one of about 4 kinds of yeast...for
chardonnay one would choose among a different set of about 4  yeasts.  I have a
long descrption on the various kinds of yeasts, what flavors they impart, and
what grape and style goes with each yeast if you're interested.

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Anna He Yon Ba » Mon, 02 May 1994 07:12:51



Quote:

>There is a yeast FAQ in the homebrew archives at sierra.stanford.edu.  It is
>primarily directed at beer yeast, but does include information on several types
>of wine and mead yeast, as well as detailed information on yeast culturing.

Could you tell me what name it's under? I'm sorry if that sounds like rather
a basic question, but as I don't have access to ftp, I asked a friend to
look for me - and they couldn't find it (no files with yeast in the name at
least, and they didn't have time to read everything!). I'd really like to see
it, as I plan on trying to culture some yeast for my beer sometime in the
future, and it'd help a lot to know what to avoid.

swsus,
yon

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Keith » Tue, 03 May 1994 21:13:29


Quote:


Lee
>Bertagnolli) writes:
>Steve,
>There are many kinds of yeast to use for wine available at home winemaki
g
>shops or lab supply houses.  Each yeast creates a subtle style with the
ine.
>For cabernets one would likely use one of about 4 kinds of yeast...for
>chardonnay one would choose among a different set of about 4  yeasts.  I
have a
>long descrption on the various kinds of yeasts, what flavors they impart
 and
>what grape and style goes with each yeast if you're interested.

I for one would be very interested in more wine yeast information.
Especially if it included information where to get the cultures.

Please post this information if possible.

Keith B.

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Joel Birkela » Wed, 04 May 1994 04:01:28



Quote:


>>There is a yeast FAQ in the homebrew archives at sierra.stanford.edu.  It is
>>primarily directed at beer yeast, but does include information on several types
>>of wine and mead yeast, as well as detailed information on yeast culturing.

>Could you tell me what name it's under?

It is in /pub/homebrew/docs, and the file is called yeast.faq.Z.

Good Luck

---
Joel Birkeland
Motorola SPS

 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Randy Sco » Wed, 04 May 1994 09:10:12



Quote:




> >>>writes:

> >>>   I have a long descrption on the various kinds of yeasts, what flavors they
> >>>   impart, and  what grape and style goes with each yeast if you're
> >interested.

> >>Well, *I* certainly would be interested as well.  Perhaps it is general
> >>enough interest to warrent posting?

> >Yes please!!!
> >rob thomas

> Count me in too!!

Yes, please post!!!

Quote:
> -------------------------------------------------------------

Randy Scott
 
 
 

Yeast, yeast, yeast

Post by Winemag » Fri, 13 May 1994 03:13:05



writes:

I'm having troubles posting the list of yeasts and the associated wines on the
board.  I think I can send it via email if those of you interested.  (I've sent
it to a few people already and think it got through).  In the meantime if any
who receives a copy can post it I would greatly appreciated it!!!!  

I'm trying to paste it in but it exceeds capacity.