Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by Alfred Anderso » Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:39:04



This issue of Tower Hobbies Tower Talk included an ad for a "Heli-Max
RotoFly EP RTF helicopter.  Complete kit, 4 channel Futaba radio, 2 servos,
ESC/Gyro, instructional DVD for $280.  Thing has main rotors of 13.78" and a
fuse length of 13.36" with a 600mah Li-Po battery (other electronics via AA
cells).

Anyone actually gotten their hands on one of these yet?  I suppose it is
underpowered and fickle to fly.... or am I wrong?

--
Alfred Anderson

 
 
 

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by Matthew Cotte » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:44:40


I want to hear a repost also. Anyone make the purchase?

--
Matthew Cotten

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Cotten's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21861
View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267493

 
 
 

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by nick spa » Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:31:51


Quote:

> I want to hear a repost also. Anyone make the purchase?

Hi Guys,

I just picked up an RC System Microcopter in the UK which is identical
to this Heli-max rotofly in appearance apart from the canopy. Its
seems to be based on Hummingbird mechanics, fully ball raced but with
a cut down main rotor and tail, smaller 180 motor, electronics &
lithium polymer battery.
After a skittish start and a bit of tuning with the ESC mix pot she
flys!!...and well....just like a hummingbird in fact.

The reduced size makes indoor in-home flying a real proposition - a
Hummingbird/piccolo class being just too big in my view. So yeah if
you want something less intimidating for flying around inside your
home and less likely to take out your furniture this looks like just
the job.

Pics here...

http://www.nickspann.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Main/MyPages/MyToys/microco...
http://www.nickspann.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Main/MyPages/MyToys/microco...
http://www.nickspann.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Main/MyPages/MyToys/microco...
http://www.nickspann.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Main/MyPages/MyToys/microco...
http://www.nickspann.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Main/MyPages/MyToys/microco...
http://www.nickspann.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Main/MyPages/MyToys/microco...

 
 
 

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by MiniBo » Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:33:53


Hi Nick:

Thanks for the pics  ....  after some close comparisons between your
pics, and the ones at the site below  ..........

http://www.bestrc.com/helimax/hmxe01-features.html

it sure does seem as though the heli mechanics and electronics are the
same.

I wonder how much flight time you are getting with the supplied LiPo
pack?

How does the included charger work  ...  does it shut itself off at the
end of a charge cycle?  How safe do you think it is?? Or would it be
better to use a "real" charger ??

Thanks for your input,

Russ    :)

--
MiniBoy
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MiniBoy's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15719
View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267493

 
 
 

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by tikabo » Mon, 06 Sep 2004 06:34:06


MiniBoy Wrote:

Quote:
> Hi Nick:

> Thanks for the pics  ....  after some close comparisons between your
> pics, and the ones at the site below  ..........

> http://www.bestrc.com/helimax/hmxe01-features.html

> it sure does seem as though the heli mechanics and electronics are the
> same.

> I wonder how much flight time you are getting with the supplied LiPo
> pack?

> How does the included charger work  ...  does it shut itself off at the
> end of a charge cycle?  How safe do you think it is?? Or would it be
> better to use a "real" charger ??

> Thanks for your input,

> Russ    :)

Hi, got myself registered now.

Getting around 7-10minutes on the supplied Lipo. Not timed it exactly
but last flight (earlier today) lasted for ages at a decent height.

The charger is a basic plug adaptor type with markings indicating that
it is designed for Li-Ion and charges at a rate of 500mah. It has an
LED which starts off red, changes to orange and after about 2 hours
goes to green which presumably is the point it shuts down. I haven't
checked this process with a multimeter though...just kept an eye on it
and unplugged it as soon as it goes green.

The previous flight I spent just messing about with the giro gain and
mix and it seems about right now....nice stable tail. Not heading hold
but not bad. Makes for a better pilot in the long run if you learn good
tail control....well maybe!!.

Anyway I'm pretty pleased with it and think it will compliment an
outdoor e-heli nicely where-as hummers etc. are a bit big for indoor
and not-good outdoors.

--
tikaboo
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tikaboo's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=39534
View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267493

 
 
 

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by tikabo » Mon, 06 Sep 2004 06:51:30


Incidentally heres a few more pics on rcgroups
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271590

--
tikaboo
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tikaboo's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=39534
View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267493

 
 
 

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by MiniBo » Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:27:56


Hi again Nick:

Thanks for the reply. I, too, Am looking for a plaything for the
livingroom, something to take to the office for when I get bored. I
also have a LMH Corona which I like very much, but it is a tad too
large (30 in. main rotor) to try to fly through 34 in. doorways!

My compliments to you on the posts and pics on your other thread  ...
It's too bad your thread got hijacked!

It is quite interesting that after reading about the Rotofly in the
Tower flier this morning, I did a global search on RC Groups for info
on the Rotofly.  I came up with ONE post   ....  YOURS. 12 hours later,
there are THIRTY here and there!! It's possible that this little
machine could become pretty hot.

I will be checking your _other_ thread frequently for more info, as it
is in the micro heli forum.

Chat later,

Russ   :)

--
MiniBoy
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MiniBoy's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15719
View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267493

 
 
 

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by tikabo » Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:48:58


MiniBoy Wrote:

Quote:
> Hi again Nick:

> Thanks for the reply. I, too, Am looking for a plaything for the
> livingroom, something to take to the office for when I get bored. I
> also have a LMH Corona which I like very much, but it is a tad too
> large (30 in. main rotor) to try to fly through 34 in. doorways!

> My compliments to you on the posts and pics on your other thread  ...
> It's too bad your thread got hijacked!

> It is quite interesting that after reading about the Rotofly in the
> Tower flier this morning, I did a global search on RC Groups for info
> on the Rotofly.  I came up with ONE post   ....  YOURS. 12 hours later,
> there are THIRTY here and there!! It's possible that this little
> machine could become pretty hot.

> I will be checking your _other_ thread frequently for more info, as it
> is in the micro heli forum.

> Chat later,

> Russ   :)

WOW!!!! Maybe I _should_ be getting paid for this!!!

--
tikaboo
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tikaboo's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=39534
View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267493

 
 
 

Heli-Max RotoFly RTF - Early Reports?

Post by MiniBo » Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:04:46


Hi Nick:

So, wouldn't you know it  ...  I ordered two Rotofly's from Tower, as
they were supposed to be back in stock "late Sept.". When Oct. 1 came
and went, the Tower site now says "Available late October" ! Oh, well,
winter is approaching, there will be plenty of time to play. How is
yours going? Anything break / wear out / burn out (tail motor) / fall
apart yet?

Thanks,

Russ :)

--
MiniBoy
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MiniBoy's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15719
View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267493