Vario exhausts help needed.

Vario exhausts help needed.

Post by Suave Deboina » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00



Hi Pilottes <G>

I am reddesigning the exhaust system on my 222 and was thinking of using
the Vario 115/17
exaust flange and 115/16 flexi hose system for a remotly mounted
muffler.Has anybody used
these? They are just push on as far as I can see. Upto now I have made my
own flanges (out
 of steel) and brazed the stainless tube (a pain brazing stainless steel to
Mild Steel!) and it
has worked OK. But as I said its a pain and there must be a better way.

Thanks in advance Chris.  

 
 
 

Vario exhausts help needed.

Post by Beavi » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00




Quote:
>Hi Pilottes <G>

Chrissie Darling

Is this on a C60? (Not that it matters really, I'm just showing that I
pay attention:-)

If they ARE just a push fit, (I'm not sure) I'd give 'em a wide berth or
as sure as eggs is eggs, the two bits will come apart an the way to the
field leaving you with a flyerless heli.

Go with what you know and make a manifold/header in your usual manner,
but I've always found it better to attach the pile/muffler to the
mechanics so it ALL comes out as one unit. It makes it***easy to
service everything if it's not buried in a cave.

The Airwolf I just finished has the pipe (Burley) fastened directly to
the side frames with the outlet directed out of the floor and the
manifold/header is a bog standard Burley item with a HARD connection to
the pipe.

Beav(y)

--
E-mail me (if you want to) at
Beavis AT nachos dot Demon dot co dot uk

http://www.FoundCollection.com/

 
 
 

Vario exhausts help needed.

Post by Suave Deboina » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Hi Beav(y).



Quote:


> >Hi Pilottes <G>

> Chrissie Darling

> Is this on a C60? (Not that it matters really, I'm just showing that I
> pay attention:-)

Yes it is a C60 (what else?) and its what I have handy. Yes you are
paying attention. Are you still taking the Prozak?

Quote:
> If they ARE just a push fit, (I'm not sure) I'd give 'em a wide berth or
> as sure as eggs is eggs, the two bits will come apart an the way to the
> field leaving you with a flyerless heli.

Yes I think they are push fit. Not everything that Vario sell is good. Look
at the copters? I was going to give them a try but I think I will have to
get
the hacksaw out and go and remove a bit of more steel from that nice
new railing outside of the Civic Offices.

Quote:
> > Go with what you know and make a manifold/header in your usual manner,
> but I've always found it better to attach the pile/muffler to the
> mechanics so it ALL comes out as one unit. It makes it***easy to
> service everything if it's not buried in a cave.

Thats why I was going to use the Hatori. But it warms the side of
the fuze up too much. The problem that I have now is that I have a
bulkhead just behind the mechs so, if I put a pipe in with a header
I am going to have to leave it behind when I take the mechs out.
Not unless I can get someone small in there<G>

Quote:

> The Airwolf I just finished has the pipe (Burley) fastened directly to
> the side frames with the outlet directed out of the floor and the
> manifold/header is a bog standard Burley item with a HARD connection to
> the pipe.

Thats what I am hoping to do. I think its out with the Dremal and whip that
bulkhead out.

Cheers, Chrissie.

 
 
 

Vario exhausts help needed.

Post by Beavi » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00




Quote:
>Hi Beav(y).





>> >Hi Pilottes <G>

>> Chrissie Darling

>> Is this on a C60? (Not that it matters really, I'm just showing that I
>> pay attention:-)

>Yes it is a C60 (what else?) and its what I have handy. Yes you are
>paying attention. Are you still taking the Prozak?

Hourly, if not minutely.

Quote:

>> If they ARE just a push fit, (I'm not sure) I'd give 'em a wide berth or
>> as sure as eggs is eggs, the two bits will come apart an the way to the
>> field leaving you with a flyerless heli.

>Yes I think they are push fit. Not everything that Vario sell is good. Look
>at the copters?

I've got one and I'm thinking of getting ANOTHER.

Quote:
> I was going to give them a try but I think I will have to
>get
>the hacksaw out and go and remove a bit of more steel from that nice
>new railing outside of the Civic Offices.

STOP THIEF!!!!!!!

Quote:

>> > Go with what you know and make a manifold/header in your usual manner,
>> but I've always found it better to attach the pile/muffler to the
>> mechanics so it ALL comes out as one unit. It makes it***easy to
>> service everything if it's not buried in a cave.

>Thats why I was going to use the Hatori. But it warms the side of
>the fuze up too much.

Put an ali baffle in there. If you stick the ali baffle on with a dollop
of silicon sealeant, that's 2 things keeping the heat off the fuze.

Quote:
> The problem that I have now is that I have a
>bulkhead just behind the mechs so, if I put a pipe in with a header
>I am going to have to leave it behind when I take the mechs out.
>Not unless I can get someone small in there<G>

Can't you dremel out the area of the bulkhead where the pipe would pass
through, without removing the outer edge? That way you'd still have the
bulkhead doing it's job, but still have space for a pipe.

Quote:

>> The Airwolf I just finished has the pipe (Burley) fastened directly to
>> the side frames with the outlet directed out of the floor and the
>> manifold/header is a bog standard Burley item with a HARD connection to
>> the pipe.

>Thats what I am hoping to do. I think its out with the Dremal and whip that
>bulkhead out.

Only PART of it.
Quote:

>Cheers, Chrissie.

Beav(y)
--
E-mail me (if you want to) at
Beavis AT nachos dot Demon dot co dot uk

http://www.FoundCollection.com/

 
 
 

Vario exhausts help needed.

Post by Suave Deboina » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00


To my dearest Beav(y).

Quote:

> >Yes I think they are push fit. Not everything that Vario sell is good.
Look
> >at the copters?

> I've got one and I'm thinking of getting ANOTHER.

Now I know you are mad.

Quote:

> > I was going to give them a try but I think I will have to
> >get
> >the hacksaw out and go and remove a bit of more steel from that nice
> >new railing outside of the Civic Offices.

> STOP THIEF!!!!!!!

I paid for it? I pay my rates, council tax etc so, I figure they owe me a
bit of 1/4
plate.

Quote:

> Put an ali baffle in there. If you stick the ali baffle on with a dollop
> of silicon sealeant, that's 2 things keeping the heat off the fuze.

Don't forget that the muffler is touching the side of the fuze. I have a
heatshield glued to the side and it gets warm. Well hot actualy. One
thing I did think of was pushing the tube that sits over the O rings
into the muffler a bit. That would gain me about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch
clearance. That should be enough? Two ways I could do this:

Warm the aly joint up and slide it in a bit and re-weld or trim off one
of enough of the tube leaving 1 O ring to hold the pipe on. I favour the
first method but if I fail I am going to***up a Hatori muffler and at
80 od quid a shot I do not want to *** it up. And I feel that its going
to go realy wrong.

Quote:
> Can't you dremel out the area of the bulkhead where the pipe would pass
> through, without removing the outer edge? That way you'd still have the
> bulkhead doing it's job, but still have space for a pipe.

I could do that but I would not be able to get to the rear mount on the
pipe.
I like to use exhaust mounting wire. Wish I had thought of making coat
hangers
out of exhuast mounting wire <G>.

Quote:
> The Airwolf I just finished has the pipe (Burley) fastened directly to
> the side frames with the outlet directed out of the floor and the
> manifold/header is a bog standard Burley item with a HARD connection to
> the pipe.

Thats what I wanted to ask last time.  How do you attach your pipes? and
what
is you HARD connection?

Quote:

> >Thats what I am hoping to do. I think its out with the Dremal and whip
that
> >bulkhead out.

> Only PART of it.

Yea maybe. Its all or nothing with me :->

Cheers, Chrissie.

 
 
 

Vario exhausts help needed.

Post by Beavi » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00




Quote:
>To my dearest Beav(y).

>> >Yes I think they are push fit. Not everything that Vario sell is good.
>Look
>> >at the copters?

>> I've got one and I'm thinking of getting ANOTHER.

>Now I know you are mad.

Vario's are fine flying machines. Granted they rotate arse about face,
but they're better than a lot of the cack out there, and now that they
do a "proper" rotating heli. I'm thinking seriously.

Quote:

>> > I was going to give them a try but I think I will have to
>> >get
>> >the hacksaw out and go and remove a bit of more steel from that nice
>> >new railing outside of the Civic Offices.

>> STOP THIEF!!!!!!!

>I paid for it? I pay my rates, council tax etc so, I figure they owe me a
>bit of 1/4
>plate.

Tell that to the judge. POLICE!!!!! Stop that man<?>

Quote:

>> Put an ali baffle in there. If you stick the ali baffle on with a dollop
>> of silicon sealeant, that's 2 things keeping the heat off the fuze.

>Don't forget that the muffler is touching the side of the fuze. I have a
>heatshield glued to the side and it gets warm. Well hot actualy. One
>thing I did think of was pushing the tube that sits over the O rings
>into the muffler a bit. That would gain me about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch
>clearance.

If you're bothered about 3/8" you must have REAL problems:-) I can
handle not pushing it in all the way in without problems (or complaints)
Maybe the *** "O" rings are meant for mounting mufflers, although
never having mounted one I can't be sure:-)

Quote:
>That should be enough? Two ways I could do this:

>Warm the aly joint up and slide it in a bit and re-weld or trim off one
>of enough of the tube leaving 1 O ring to hold the pipe on. I favour the
>first method but if I fail I am going to***up a Hatori muffler and at
>80 od quid a shot I do not want to *** it up. And I feel that its going
>to go realy wrong.

If you're not 100% with the welding, that's a distinct possibility, but
have faith in your abilities and get on with it. You may get it right
yet! :-(

Quote:

>> Can't you dremel out the area of the bulkhead where the pipe would pass
>> through, without removing the outer edge? That way you'd still have the
>> bulkhead doing it's job, but still have space for a pipe.

>I could do that but I would not be able to get to the rear mount on the
>pipe.
>I like to use exhaust mounting wire. Wish I had thought of making coat
>hangers
>out of exhuast mounting wire <G>.

I made my last "rear pipe" mount out of carbon fibre sheet to extend the
"frame" and then used a Lord mount to attach the pipe to the extension.
This allows for the pipe to stay connected to the mechs and with a
little "jiggery-pokery" I can get the mechanics out of the 222 shell as
a whole working unit (Apart from retracts and tail rotor servo). The
pipe clears the body by a good 1/2 inch and I've not even needed to put
in a heat shield.

My manifold is "biased" towards the frames so the pipe hugs the side of
the heli and doesn't stick out too much, in fact it "just" clears the
cooling fan but so far no cooling fan or motor meltdown so it must clear
it by enough. I'm no lover of coat hangers anyway, they fatigue too
easily and end up as just more s***metal in the shell.

Quote:

>> The Airwolf I just finished has the pipe (Burley) fastened directly to
>> the side frames with the outlet directed out of the floor and the
>> manifold/header is a bog standard Burley item with a HARD connection to
>> the pipe.

>Thats what I wanted to ask last time.  How do you attach your pipes? and
>what
>is you HARD connection?

Well the pipe is a "U" shape lying on it's side with the bottom of the
"U" towards the front of the heli (pretty standard)

The pipe's an interference fit inside the manifold and a jubilee clip
gets screwed (lucky clip I say) up tight. The pipe and the mainfold are
now "as one" but as a belt and braces insurance, I have the frame
extension and Lord mount at the back end, although I think it's more a
"mind" thing than a necessity.

Quote:

>> >Thats what I am hoping to do. I think its out with the Dremal and whip
>that
>> >bulkhead out.

>> Only PART of it.

>Yea maybe. Its all or nothing with me :->

With that 3/8" problem you seem to have, I'm sure it is :-)
Quote:

>Cheers, Chrissie.

Beav(y)
--
E-mail me (if you want to) at
Beavis AT nachos dot Demon dot co dot uk

http://www.FoundCollection.com/