Solar flare killing SW bands

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by Robert Case » Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:35:13



In case you think that your SW radio lost sensitivity today, it's
not the radio.  A solar flare has greatly reduced propagation.
 
 
 

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by John Stewar » Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:04:46


Quote:

> In case you think that your SW radio lost sensitivity today, it's
> not the radio.  A solar flare has greatly reduced propagation.

I've got two of them but seldom switch them on. Guess that's
why my reception is poor!!            Cheers, John Stewart

 
 
 

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by Robert Case » Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:55:48


Quote:

>I've got two of them but seldom switch them on. Guess that's
>why my reception is poor!!            Cheers, John Stewart

Could be....  helps if you turn it on....
 
 
 

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by kenneth schar » Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:18:53


Quote:

> In case you think that your SW radio lost sensitivity today, it's
> not the radio.  A solar flare has greatly reduced propagation.

SW bands might be out but there could be LOOONG skip on
tv and fm bands!  Wonder how 6 meters is doing?
BTW look north, you might see the northern lights!
 
 
 

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by Nocturnal » Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:34:49


So that's why!!
It killed medium wave broadcast dx'ing, too, but allowed me to log some
closer stations at nighttime low power that I couldn't otherwise have done.
I guess I can quit fiddling with the loop antenna - I thought it had a
broken wire or something.
~Tom in MN


Quote:
> In case you think that your SW radio lost sensitivity today, it's
> not the radio.  A solar flare has greatly reduced propagation.

 
 
 

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by Steven Diniu » Sat, 01 Nov 2003 08:43:53


It's not stopping the religious ones!!!

I think that my electronics stuff is killing the reception more than ol' Sol
: (


Quote:
> In case you think that your SW radio lost sensitivity today, it's
> not the radio.  A solar flare has greatly reduced propagation.

 
 
 

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by Steven Diniu » Sat, 01 Nov 2003 08:51:37


Let's the car's electrical noises in good on some and a 1kw and a 5kw/??N
that normally go deep SSW were coming in wonderfully and the 5kw was in
stereo till 11pm instead of the stereo dropping off at pattern change.

That which is normally hash *1200-1330* was HASH and KSL and KEX were
scarce. that's what I noticed last night.

I think they said Mon or Tue was another one.


Quote:
> So that's why!!
> It killed medium wave broadcast dx'ing, too, but allowed me to log some
> closer stations at nighttime low power that I couldn't otherwise have
done.
> I guess I can quit fiddling with the loop antenna - I thought it had a
> broken wire or something.
> ~Tom in MN



> > In case you think that your SW radio lost sensitivity today, it's
> > not the radio.  A solar flare has greatly reduced propagation.

 
 
 

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by Robert Case » Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:07:20


Quote:

>It's not stopping the religious ones!!!

>I think that my electronics stuff is killing the reception more than ol' Sol
>: (

Just wait until they unleash BPL in your town (Broadband over Power
Lines).  Trash all
over HF.  The ham radio community is fighting hard against this.  See
http://www.arrl.org
 
 
 

Solar flare killing SW bands

Post by Steven Diniu » Sat, 01 Nov 2003 14:41:19



Quote:

> >It's not stopping the religious ones!!!

> >I think that my electronics stuff is killing the reception more than ol'
Sol
> >: (

> Just wait until they unleash BPL in your town (Broadband over Power
> Lines).  Trash all
> over HF.  The ham radio community is fighting hard against this.  See
> http://www.arrl.org

I think Qwest would throw a huge fit...