Going back to the year 1956, I designed a high-Q IF 1600 Kc IF
transformer to put in the Millen product line. To get the desired Q I
ended up using Litzendraht---something like 30 (strands of) #48.
You'll need to use a chemical *** on stuff like this. Mechanical
stripping will work-harden the wire ends, and they'll break. The
effect on Q with one broken strand is astounding---as I recall, it
would cut it by about half.
What we used in production was commercial aircraft paint-***.
That's vicious stuff. GC sold small bottles of this as chemical wire
***. After soldering, you'll need to wash the terminations with
Some years later, when rebuilding an RME-45 receiver, I took out all
the coils, including the IF's. Those used Litzendraht, and a Q-meter
inspection showed incredibly low Q. I had to disconnect the coil
leads, restrip, and resolder, which brought Q back up.