> I would be skeptical too if it hadn't happened to me.
> A while back I had a new LiIon battery sitting on my
> desk. We were planning to use it as a memory back
> up supply in an instrument we were designing.
> Just sitting there, not accidentally shorted out, it
> started smoking and the plastic wrapping melted
> and came very close to catching fire! The manufacturer
> said it was caused by an internal short, and was
> a very rare occurance. Not rare enough for me!
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Steve
I agree what that! I have, sitting before me, a Duracell MN1604 9V
alkaline battery that was in my bedside clock for 'standby' power. One
of the AAAA cells must have shorted internally and exploded by firing
the casing and guts through the bottom of the battery and across the
inside of the clock case where it dented the inside of the hardwood
case. Luckily, the bare cell casing did not fall on any circuits and
short things out.
I also have an AA NiMH that did as you describe inside my digital
camera, melting and splitting the plastic cell wrapper and slightly
distorting the battery compartment walls. It must have been,
fortunately, not fully charged when it shorted out so there was not
the full energy available to do damage.
So, it seems that all cell technology in common use is prone to this
type of failure.
On a similar subject, a reminder to anyone who owns a Maytag, Jenn-
Air, Amana, Admiral, Crosley, Magic Chef or Performa refrigerator to
check the Maytag web site to see if that model has been recalled due
to the control relay potentially catching fire. There are about 1.6
million affected units and 41 reported cases of fires.