Wider front than back

Wider front than back

Post by nospa » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:51:12



Hello,

I am currently changing parts on my monster truck.
I am putting larger "arms" on the front and back of my car.

I do not have all the pieces for the back right now.
I am wondering if it is ok to install only the front pieces.
If I do that, the space between the tire is greater in the front
than is the back:

W---F---W
     |
     |
     |
     |
  W--B--W

Is ok or is it a bad idea?

Thanks

 
 
 

Wider front than back

Post by Paul - xx » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:01:48


nospam scribbled:

Quote:
> Hello,

> I am currently changing parts on my monster truck.
> I am putting larger "arms" on the front and back of my car.

> I do not have all the pieces for the back right now.
> I am wondering if it is ok to install only the front pieces.
> If I do that, the space between the tire is greater in the front
> than is the back:

> W---F---W
>      |
>      |
>      |
>      |
>   W--B--W

> Is ok or is it a bad idea?

> Thanks

Just try it .. but post back and let us know what happens .. ;)

You may have problems getting the ackerman effect working correctly, but
I can't see it providing too much trouble unless it's a massive
difference in widths.  Many cars have different front to rear wheel
widths .. ;)

--
...................................Paul-xxx
My house is FOR SALE ...
http://tinyurl.com/69r0

 
 
 

Wider front than back

Post by nospa » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:46:15


Could you please briefly explain me,
what is the ackerman effect?
Quote:

> nospam scribbled:

>>Hello,

>>I am currently changing parts on my monster truck.
>>I am putting larger "arms" on the front and back of my car.

>>I do not have all the pieces for the back right now.
>>I am wondering if it is ok to install only the front pieces.
>>If I do that, the space between the tire is greater in the front
>>than is the back:

>>W---F---W
>>     |
>>     |
>>     |
>>     |
>>  W--B--W

>>Is ok or is it a bad idea?

>>Thanks

> Just try it .. but post back and let us know what happens .. ;)

> You may have problems getting the ackerman effect working correctly, but
> I can't see it providing too much trouble unless it's a massive
> difference in widths.  Many cars have different front to rear wheel
> widths .. ;)

 
 
 

Wider front than back

Post by Paul - xx » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:19:40


nospam scribbled:

Quote:
> Could you please briefly explain me,
> what is the ackerman effect?

The ability of the inside front wheel to turn more into a corner than
the outside .. it describes a tighter circle to get round the corner ..
;)

Makes the car / truck turn better with more grip, reduces tyre scrub etc
etc .. helps to 'balance' the steering .. ;)

It's a *good* thing .. ;)

--
...................................Paul-xxx
My house is FOR SALE ...
http://tinyurl.com/69r0

 
 
 

Wider front than back

Post by jay b » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:45:21


did you wholesale copy that off that site you mentioned the other day ? haha

jk

still dont understand it properly like...



Quote:
> nospam scribbled:

> > Could you please briefly explain me,
> > what is the ackerman effect?

> The ability of the inside front wheel to turn more into a corner than
> the outside .. it describes a tighter circle to get round the corner ..
> ;)

> Makes the car / truck turn better with more grip, reduces tyre scrub etc
> etc .. helps to 'balance' the steering .. ;)

> It's a *good* thing .. ;)

> --
> ...................................Paul-xxx
> My house is FOR SALE ...
> http://tinyurl.com/69r0

 
 
 

Wider front than back

Post by Paul - xx » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 23:06:03


jay bo scribbled:

Quote:
> did you wholesale copy that off that site you mentioned the other day
> ? haha

Nope, I'm a Torque Control Engineer and work closely with 'real life'
1:1 scale racing cars .. It's one of those things you 'know' or don't ..
though I suspect it *is* on the site .. ;)

--
...................................Paul-xxx
My house is FOR SALE ...
http://tinyurl.com/69r0

 
 
 

Wider front than back

Post by Dean » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:18:59


On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:06:03 -0000, "Paul - xxx"

Quote:

>jay bo scribbled:

>> did you wholesale copy that off that site you mentioned the other day
>> ? haha

>Nope, I'm a Torque Control Engineer and work closely with 'real life'
>1:1 scale racing cars .. It's one of those things you 'know' or don't ..
>though I suspect it *is* on the site .. ;)

And if the original poster doesn't understand, take the car out, and
do a very slow speed circle, as tight as you can go.

The arc the inside wheel turns is tighter than the arc the outside
wheel turns, therefor, the inside wheel must be turned in more, so
that it doesn't skid around the corner.

-Dean
---
Proud owner of:
Associated RC10GT <the other basher>
Team Losi XX "CR" <the basher>
Team Losi XXX KE  <the racer>
|http://ripperd2.dhs.org|