Sending Internationaly

Sending Internationaly

Post by RC713 » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00



     I was wondering if the US charges a Custom fee lake Canada I have a friend
sending me a Package from Canada to the US I know if you send a Package from
the US to Canada and you insure it for $1000 US dollars then Canadian Customs
will charge you 25% of $2000 Canadian dollars which would be  is what I''d get
charged $ 500 Canadian Dollars or $250 US dollars. And my question is does US
Customes do the same thing should have have it insured or will it cost me more
when I get it? Let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Quote:
>Mike<

 
 
 

Sending Internationaly

Post by Alex » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:
>I''d get
>charged $ 500 Canadian Dollars or $250 US dollars.

Firstly $500 Canadian Dollars equals $341 US Dollars NOT US$250.

 
 
 

Sending Internationaly

Post by Dennis Clar » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00


:      I was wondering if the US charges a Custom fee lake Canada I have a friend
: sending me a Package from Canada to the US I know if you send a Package from
: the US to Canada and you insure it for $1000 US dollars then Canadian Customs
: will charge you 25% of $2000 Canadian dollars which would be  is what I''d get
: charged $ 500 Canadian Dollars or $250 US dollars. And my question is does US
: Customes do the same thing should have have it insured or will it cost me more
: when I get it? Let me know.

  There should be no customs charges. That's what NAFTA was all about.  Call
your Post Awful and check on it though.  I've never been charged when I got
stuff from Canada.

DLC
--
============================================================================

* Be well, do good work, and stay in touch -- Garrison Keillor             *
============================================================================

 
 
 

Sending Internationaly

Post by Jason Aub » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00


If it is sent from a friend to another there shouldn't be any charges.  If
you buy something from a hobby shop or any other store, there may be a
brokerage fee and taxes.  I don't know where you got your numbers below, but
they seem quite high.  Check with customs for specific charges.


     I was wondering if the US charges a Custom fee lake Canada I have a
friend
sending me a Package from Canada to the US I know if you send a Package from
the US to Canada and you insure it for $1000 US dollars then Canadian
Customs
will charge you 25% of $2000 Canadian dollars which would be  is what I''d
get
charged $ 500 Canadian Dollars or $250 US dollars. And my question is does
US
Customes do the same thing should have have it insured or will it cost me
more
when I get it? Let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Quote:
>Mike<

 
 
 

Sending Internationaly

Post by Todd Meisne » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00


Speaking as a Canadian who was imported stuff for many years here is how it
really is:

1 - The 'declared value' of the item is converted to Canadian dollars, at
about a factor of about 1.65 (this changes with the dollar's value). If
there is no declared value, which there should be on the sticker the Post
Office put on the parcel, they would use the insured value. Therefore a $100
US item would be about $165 Canadian.

2 - If the item was made in the US there is no duty (same applies to you
Americans under NAFTA, no duty if made in Canada). If it was made outside
the US duty rates are usually about 9%

3 - Provincial sales tax is added to the above number.

4 - A $5 processing fee is added.

In Nova Scotia, where I live, a $100 US parcel, made in USA, would cost me
$194.75, excluding shipping.

$100 US ----------> $165 Canadian
15% sales tax ---->  $ 24.75
$ 5 fee  ---------->  $  5.00
TOTAL                     $194.75

As a general rule of thumb you double the American price to get the Canadian
cost. Also parcel's less than $25 Canadian pass through free. If you are
shipping things to Canada, USE THE POST OFFICE. UPS charges at least $30 for
a service fee and their rates tend to be much higher. If the guy needs it
quick use Express Post, it's insurable and traceable. And if you are sending
second hand parts you can do the buyer a favor by using a "more reasonable"
indicated value.

Todd Meisner



Quote:
> If it is sent from a friend to another there shouldn't be any charges.  If
> you buy something from a hobby shop or any other store, there may be a
> brokerage fee and taxes.  I don't know where you got your numbers below,
but
> they seem quite high.  Check with customs for specific charges.



>      I was wondering if the US charges a Custom fee lake Canada I have a
> friend
> sending me a Package from Canada to the US I know if you send a Package
from
> the US to Canada and you insure it for $1000 US dollars then Canadian
> Customs
> will charge you 25% of $2000 Canadian dollars which would be  is what I''d
> get
> charged $ 500 Canadian Dollars or $250 US dollars. And my question is does
> US
> Customes do the same thing should have have it insured or will it cost me
> more
> when I get it? Let me know.

> Thank you in advance!

> >Mike<

 
 
 

Sending Internationaly

Post by codetoa » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00


Well said Todd, that's how it works.

The only thing that I can add is have the person sending the package to
Canada, put on a declaired value of something, like $123.67, and insure it
for the actual value, ( they never seem to look and say it's insured for
$1000 and only declaired for $123.67, they just don't have time) that way
the taxes are lower, as if there is no Delcared value the Border People will
open the package, and try and make up a value, this can be good and bad, as
sometimes they value real high and other time real low.

Also we sending electrics, don't say it on the box, as there is a
tax for all imported electronics that come accross the border, and
man it's high.

codetoad


Quote:
> Speaking as a Canadian who was imported stuff for many years here is how
it
> really is:

> 1 - The 'declared value' of the item is converted to Canadian dollars, at
> about a factor of about 1.65 (this changes with the dollar's value). If
> there is no declared value, which there should be on the sticker the Post
> Office put on the parcel, they would use the insured value. Therefore a
$100
> US item would be about $165 Canadian.

> 2 - If the item was made in the US there is no duty (same applies to you
> Americans under NAFTA, no duty if made in Canada). If it was made outside
> the US duty rates are usually about 9%

> 3 - Provincial sales tax is added to the above number.

> 4 - A $5 processing fee is added.

> In Nova Scotia, where I live, a $100 US parcel, made in USA, would cost me
> $194.75, excluding shipping.

> $100 US ----------> $165 Canadian
> 15% sales tax ---->  $ 24.75
> $ 5 fee  ---------->  $  5.00
> TOTAL                     $194.75

> As a general rule of thumb you double the American price to get the
Canadian
> cost. Also parcel's less than $25 Canadian pass through free. If you are
> shipping things to Canada, USE THE POST OFFICE. UPS charges at least $30
for
> a service fee and their rates tend to be much higher. If the guy needs it
> quick use Express Post, it's insurable and traceable. And if you are
sending
> second hand parts you can do the buyer a favor by using a "more
reasonable"
> indicated value.

> Todd Meisner




> > If it is sent from a friend to another there shouldn't be any charges.
If
> > you buy something from a hobby shop or any other store, there may be a
> > brokerage fee and taxes.  I don't know where you got your numbers below,
> but
> > they seem quite high.  Check with customs for specific charges.



> >      I was wondering if the US charges a Custom fee lake Canada I have a
> > friend
> > sending me a Package from Canada to the US I know if you send a Package
> from
> > the US to Canada and you insure it for $1000 US dollars then Canadian
> > Customs
> > will charge you 25% of $2000 Canadian dollars which would be  is what
I''d
> > get
> > charged $ 500 Canadian Dollars or $250 US dollars. And my question is
does
> > US
> > Customes do the same thing should have have it insured or will it cost
me
> > more
> > when I get it? Let me know.

> > Thank you in advance!

> > >Mike<

 
 
 

Sending Internationaly

Post by Jim Newstea » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> If it is sent from a friend to another there shouldn't be any charges.  If
> you buy something from a hobby shop or any other store, there may be a
> brokerage fee and taxes.  I don't know where you got your numbers below, but
> they seem quite high.  Check with customs for specific charges.



>      I was wondering if the US charges a Custom fee lake Canada I have a
> friend
> sending me a Package from Canada to the US I know if you send a Package from
> the US to Canada and you insure it for $1000 US dollars then Canadian
> Customs
> will charge you 25% of $2000 Canadian dollars which would be  is what I''d
> get
> charged $ 500 Canadian Dollars or $250 US dollars. And my question is does
> US
> Customes do the same thing should have have it insured or will it cost me
> more
> when I get it? Let me know.

> Thank you in advance!

> >Mike<

I beleive that dutys are accesed by dollar figure of the idem.I got some
stuff form the us & I live in canada & it was around $125 us/$190
canadain.It was only charged $15 bucks for dutys.
 
 
 

Sending Internationaly

Post by j.. » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00


On Sat, 22 May 1999 20:26:37 -0400, "codetoad"

Quote:

>...as if there is no Delcared value the Border People will open the package, and try and make up a value, this can be good and bad, as
>sometimes they value real high and other time real low.

Another thing that is left out here is that there is a threshold which
I can't for the the life of me remember wherein you have to get a
"customs agent" and if you don't, customs will provide (and bill) you
one.  Basically if you declare beyond a certain value is when the
above happens and it has been a very long time since I have had to
deal with this stuff on a day to day basis.

I learned the easiest way to get something through without being held
in customs at all was to just declare it as $1.

Of course this doesn't provide the shipper with any protection so you
would have to get your own private insurer if you wanted to ship
anything of great value.  Plus the fact that there is a preset maximum
recovery amount through most shippers which may cover your goods
anyways.

jmf

www.fraz.com