If I were you, I would:
1. Remove carb and blow it out using compressed air and denatured ***
as a solvent. If it sat for awhile it might have gummed up.
2. Replace all fuel and exhaust line.
3. Deep six the gas tank in a bowl of water and check for leaks by plugging
the feed line and blowing into the pressure line.
4. Check all head gasket screws for tightness.
5. Check header screws and header gasket for damage.
6. Check exhaust coupler (between manifold and pipe) for leaks.
7. Check engine backplate for leaks.
> > I have an older Duratrax maximum BX, I took it apart several years ago
> > and decided to put it back together just the other day. I was able to
> > get it started and it ran through a half tank of gas like normal, after
> > adjusting the carb. However I went to start it back up and I can see
> > that the carb is only open a small amount, but when I start it, it will
> > race at extremely fast RPM's then shut down. I have tried adjusting
> > all the needles, but have not solved the problem. It its a Torq .12
> > engine, and I'm open to any suggestions. And if anybody knowns how far
> > out all the idle screws are supposed to be, that would be helpful, but
> > I've tried them in all positions.