When do I know if I need a rebuild?

When do I know if I need a rebuild?

Post by Doug » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00



My .15 motor has been stalling lately, just after starting.. new plug,
its clean, no other issues, and I know it is set correctly.  Am I losing
compression? Is it time for a rebuild!!?!? Thanks, in advance,
-Doug
 
 
 

When do I know if I need a rebuild?

Post by Doug » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Forgot to mention, I have just over 2 gallons 20% through it.
-doug
Quote:

> My .15 motor has been stalling lately, just after starting.. new plug,
> its clean, no other issues, and I know it is set correctly.  Am I losing
> compression? Is it time for a rebuild!!?!? Thanks, in advance,
> -Doug


 
 
 

When do I know if I need a rebuild?

Post by Henrik Persso » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Hi Doug!

I think that 20 % is way to mutch, or maybe youre competing? If youre not,
you should run with only 10 %. The only time you should run with 20 - 25 %
nitro is when youre in a competition!

Your engine hates when you run on 20 - 25 % all the time! Thats probably
why youre loosing compression etc.

I would recomend a rebuild or a completly new engine!

Good luck and Happy Racing!
/ Henrik in Sweden
-------------------------------------------

ICQ# 9805449

 
 
 

When do I know if I need a rebuild?

Post by b_vandyk » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00


2 gallons, it is probably time to rebuild.  As for nitro %, I always run 20%
even to break in the engine.  My last engine lasted about 3 1/2" gallons (in
my Nirtro RS4).  In my RC10GT I am lucky to get more than 1 gallon before a
rebuild.  I know that I need a rebuild when: to get the power I need I have
to lean the engine way too much and it won't idle any more. The last time, I
leaned it to get the power and it ran at about 320F (way to hot) and it
wouldn't  idle at all.

Brett

Quote:

>Hi Doug!

>I think that 20 % is way to mutch, or maybe youre competing? If youre
not,
>you should run with only 10 %. The only time you should run with 20 - 25 %
>nitro is when youre in a competition!

>Your engine hates when you run on 20 - 25 % all the time! Thats probably
>why youre loosing compression etc.

>I would recomend a rebuild or a completly new engine!

>Good luck and Happy Racing!
>/ Henrik in Sweden
>-------------------------------------------

>ICQ# 9805449

 
 
 

When do I know if I need a rebuild?

Post by Antonio Garz » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00


My LHS guy told me to check the engine at 3 gallons.
However, he said he usually doesn't have to rebuild until
6-7 gallons if you take care of the engine.

Also, he mentioned that if you have to replace the
crankshaft you're probably better off buying a new engine.

Antonio

 
 
 

When do I know if I need a rebuild?

Post by Lee Mus » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Doug,

When you loose compression it shows up as an engine not being able to idle.
What I do is 1) disassemble the engine, 2) see if the piston will go all
the way to or past the top of the cylinder liner, 3) if it does, you need a
piston and sleeve if it doesn't you probably need to adjust your carb or
change the heat range on the glow plug.

An engine should last through many gallons of fuel unless it has been run
HOT or if dirt and crud gets past the air filter into the engine.

Lee Muse
gasrccar.com



Quote:
> Forgot to mention, I have just over 2 gallons 20% through it.
> -doug


> > My .15 motor has been stalling lately, just after starting.. new plug,
> > its clean, no other issues, and I know it is set correctly.  Am I
losing
> > compression? Is it time for a rebuild!!?!? Thanks, in advance,
> > -Doug

 
 
 

When do I know if I need a rebuild?

Post by PaulO575 » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

>My .15 motor has been stalling lately, just after starting.. new plug,
>its clean, no other issues, and I know it is set correctly.  Am I losing
>compression? Is it time for a rebuild!!?!?

Just a thought.......how fresh is your fuel?
 
 
 

When do I know if I need a rebuild?

Post by Doug » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00


I had that thought too... I tried new fuel with the same results..
I'm now contemplating buying a new engine. We'll see. I can rebuild it for
$40, exchange it for $75, or buy a new one, other manufacturer, for over
$100.
Its such a hard descision..
-Doug
Quote:


> >My .15 motor has been stalling lately, just after starting.. new plug,
> >its clean, no other issues, and I know it is set correctly.  Am I losing
> >compression? Is it time for a rebuild!!?!?

> Just a thought.......how fresh is your fuel?