Glen Plaid effect using thread

Glen Plaid effect using thread

Post by Lorri Barm » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00



I am currently making figurines.  I want to make men's tweed and glen plaid type suits.
My question is, can I push threads into the surface of the flat slab of clay that I use to
model the fabric on the figure.  Will it hold?  Strips of clay just wont be fine enough.
The figures are only 6" - 8" tall.

BTW, I want to thank the person who posted the message about buying the pasta machine in
Linen's N' Things.  I had combed  my city looking for one.  After I read the article, I
went to Linen's N' Things.  Lo and behold, I am now the proud owner of a $29.99 Pasta
machine.

Lorri

 
 
 

Glen Plaid effect using thread

Post by jpatt.. » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
Barman) writes:
>I am currently making figurines.  I want to make men's tweed and glen
plaid
>type suits.
>My question is, can I push threads into the surface of the flat slab of
clay
>that I use to
>model the fabric on the figure.  Will it hold?  Strips of clay just wont
be
>fine enough.
>The figures are only 6" - 8" tall.

Hi Lorrie
      I also make figures about 6" to 8" tall, to make patterns in the
fabric for the clothing, I will make a cane with the pattern I want larger
than neccessary, reduce it and stack it to the size I need, then take thin
slices and lay them side by side on top of another color.  This makes the
finishes clothing look like they are lined inside.  After I have made my
'fabric' I cut out the pieces just like a clothing pattern piece and get
my figure dressed. You can see some of my work in Roberta's Gallery to get
a better idea of what I am talking about.  Or I could e-mail a file with a
picture if you want.  I think you could apply the thread like you want but
I don't know that it would stay without some type of adhesive over the
long term.  If you have any more questions let me know.

Jenny

 
 
 

Glen Plaid effect using thread

Post by Sherry Bail » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00


After assembling a patterned fabric layer, if you still want real TEXTURE you
could always run the clay thru the pasta machine together with a piece of real
fabric -- something in scale with your final figure, so maybe silk or
handkerchief linen or something, to "emboss" the weave texture onto the
clay. (If you do this, the clay should already be thickness 1 on the pasta
machine so the only real change is the texture, or you will distort the
pattern you have made -- experiment with s***before wrecking hard-won
canework!)

Sherry

 
 
 

Glen Plaid effect using thread

Post by Lorri Barm » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00


Jenny,

Thanks for the response.  Could you please give me the URL for Roberta's gallery.  I would
love to see the figurines.

Thanks,

Lorri

Quote:
>      I also make figures about 6" to 8" tall, to make patterns in the
>fabric for the clothing, I will make a cane with the pattern I want larger
>than neccessary, reduce it and stack it to the size I need, then take thin
>slices and lay them side by side on top of another color.  This makes the
>finishes clothing look like they are lined inside.  After I have made my
>'fabric' I cut out the pieces just like a clothing pattern piece and get
>my figure dressed. You can see some of my work in Roberta's Gallery to get
>a better idea of what I am talking about.  Or I could e-mail a file with a
>picture if you want.  I think you could apply the thread like you want but
>I don't know that it would stay without some type of adhesive over the
>long term.  If you have any more questions let me know.
>Jenny

 
 
 

Glen Plaid effect using thread

Post by jpatt.. » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
Barman) writes:

>Jenny,

>Thanks for the response.  Could you please give me the URL for Roberta's
>gallery.  I would
>love to see the figurines.

>Thanks,

Sure here it is  http://home.earthlink.net/~rschwartz/  I also use the
technique Sherry mentions too using fabrics for different textures.  The
sales people at the fabric store think I am a little strange, I look a
texture not color!!  Another thing if you use fabric is I have found that
100% polyester works best, it does'nt  seem to pick up bits of clay like
some of the other fibers.

Jenny