Reducing Odd-Shaped Canes

Reducing Odd-Shaped Canes

Post by Miracle >^,, » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00



    I've got a cane that's ended up a semi-circle, and I'm wary
of trying to reduce it now. I made a rainbow, and wrapped it,
and realized that I wanted to leave it in its half-circle shape.
    But how do I reduce this rascal? It's too large to slice for
covering beads at this point. Are there directions posted at
one of the sites? I don't see any so far.     :o}

Miracle

 
 
 

Reducing Odd-Shaped Canes

Post by adrienne » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Check out glass attic, Diane B.'s site. In her section on canes
there is a discussion of odd shape cane reducing techniques.
Also, what I do while the clay is still fairly warm is gently
pull and pinch the cane.With this cane being a half circle, you
should be able to lay the flat side on your workspace.

And

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

Reducing Odd-Shaped Canes

Post by Daisy iiiiiiii » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00


This is just a thought...if it is any actual "rainbow" why don't you cut your
log in half  and join the half circles into a full circle, reduce, and then
make a slice and cut that in half.  Then you could wrap a contracting color
around your half circle.  
 
 
 

Reducing Odd-Shaped Canes

Post by Miracle >^,, » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
Daisy iiiiiiiiii wrote...
> This is just a thought...if it is any actual "rainbow" why don't you cut
your
> log in half  and join the half circles into a full circle, reduce, and
then
> make a slice and cut that in half.  Then you could wrap a contracting
color
> around your half circle.

    Um, 'cuz I've already wrapped the contrasting color
around the half-circle rainbow.   :o}   The next time, I'll
know to wait and reduce the rainbow (or part of it) before
I wrap it and avoid this scary part!!
    Thanks Daisy!   :o)

Miracle

 
 
 

Reducing Odd-Shaped Canes

Post by Miracle >^,, » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
adriennel wrote...
> Check out glass attic, Diane B.'s site. In her section on canes
> there is a discussion of odd shape cane reducing techniques.
> Also, what I do while the clay is still fairly warm is gently
> pull and pinch the cane.With this cane being a half circle, you
> should be able to lay the flat side on your workspace.

    Ah, thank you. I missed that at GlassAttic. Hmm, pinch
and pull, huh? Methinks some practice on s***may be in
order.   :o}

Miracle

.

 
 
 

Reducing Odd-Shaped Canes

Post by Sjpolycl » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> pinch
>and pull

There's also a page on my site about reduction---and we talk about that in the
13 lb. cane saga there too. Theres no reason you can't cut your cane in half as
suggested here in the ng even though it is already wrapped--cut a length down
the middle, and then lay out a tongue of the same color you used for the first
wrap, place the cut and now exposed part on to this. Trim to fit, amd pinch and
 pet the seams to seal them---roll very gently a little to help here. You can
also re-wrap now that you have a half circle.
Sarajane Helm

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
www.polyclay.com

 
 
 

Reducing Odd-Shaped Canes

Post by desiree mccror » Sun, 11 Jun 2000 04:00:00



Quote:

>     I've got a cane that's ended up a semi-circle, and I'm wary
> of trying to reduce it now. I made a rainbow, and wrapped it,
> and realized that I wanted to leave it in its half-circle shape.
>     But how do I reduce this rascal? It's too large to slice for
> covering beads at this point. Are there directions posted at
> one of the sites? I don't see any so far.     :o}

I recall one fimo artist (cane specialist) a few years ago reducing a
variety of shapes, including fish-shaped. The tricks are to evenly apply
pressure around the surface *after* pinching the middle, more stroking
along the length of the cane and doing all of this quickly and confidently
(kind of "zen-ning").

Of course, the basic rules still apply in that all the clay in the cane
should be well conditioned and consistent in stiffness and temperature.

Hope this helps,

Desiree