The phone guys were working out in my front yard last week, and I asked them if
they could leave me some scraps. It is actually fiber optic cable, not the old
copper wire. It is still color coated, though. Has anybody used it? Does it
work the same as the wire? The big problem, though, is that it was packed with
some kind of grease. It's a little like vaseline, but won't just wipe right
off the wires. I'm hesitant to experiment with solvents, for fear of mangling
the colored coating or having residue on it when I try to use it with clay.
Has anybody had this problem? Did you find a way to clean the wire, or do I
have five feet of really cool colored cable to go into the trash?