What's your fave polyclay and why?

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by PostRch.. » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00



   I would like to know what you guys think of the different types of
clay available. What do you like and dislike about your fave?

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Kell » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


I've always been hooked on Cernit -- it's easy to handle but not sticky
soft like Sculpey can get with hot hands.  The colors are remarkably
lovely.   My only peeve with it is the difficulty in getting it!

Kelly

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Vince Rhe » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00



       I would like to know what you guys think of the different types of
    clay available. What do you like and dislike about your fave?
    I use all the clays and for different things.  I use Cernit to sculpt with---esp. faces and like it for marbleing.  I've tried four other clays for faces, but only Cernit comes close to the look I'm wanting.  I often use a little Mix-Quick with the Cernit as I like the way it sculpts.  Cernit colors are good, also.  Esp. their nature and glamour colors.
    I'm making a large color wheel with Premo because it has the closest colors to the primary colors and it is very easy to mix to get the secondary colors.  Adding white and black for the shades, tones and tints are easy, also.  I do not like the consistency of the hardness of the Premo straight from the package---but I've heard that it is much better than when it first came out.  I haven't done much*** and think this would make it difficult to make a good cane. Ease of conditioning and the range of colors are Premo's best qualities.  The translucent with bleach Premo has lots of uses.  I often mix a small amount of it with Cernit flesh to sculpt faces if I am out of Mix Quick.
    Fimo is too hard too condition IMO---but this may be due to the fact I've never found fresh Fimo.  I use it only when I want a small piece on a sculpture to be very durable and the color is the right color straight from the package.
    I use Sculpey III or Sculpey only if I need a piece for a sculpture that is not a fragile piece.  Ex.--for a top hat, I would use the Sculpey for the main part and then use Superflex for the brim and use Premo for the band.  Granitex is different from the Cernit nature colors and so you need all of them if you are looking for nature or stone looking clays.  
    Translucent Liquid Sculpey is a must in my claying. It gives much more possibilities---painting with clay, enamelling look, repairing small areas very easily, making a piece stronger---too many uses to list.
    Hope this helps.
    Jeanne   http://www.FoundCollection.com/~victoria/sb/

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Vince Rhe » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Thanks, LynnDel.  I hate it when I have to read one of those messages and
then I send a LOOONNNGG one for you all to read that way!  I think I may
have it fixed.  For some reason, and I'm not good enough with this computer
stuff to know how, but I think it was set for HTML instead of plain text.
If you notice it has not cleared up, please let me know.

I sent this msg to you directly, but it came back and now I see why.  Just
hope this is fixed.
Jeanne  http://www.dcr.net/~victoria/sb/

Quote:
-----Original Message-----


Date: Thursday, October 15, 1998 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: What's your fave polyclay and why?

>Hi Jeanne,

>Your last couple of newsgroup messages have been up to 5 screens wide
>on my monitor!!!  Are you doing something differently?

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Cheryl Hah » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Thanks, LynnDel.  I hate it when I have to read one of those messages and
> then I send a LOOONNNGG one for you all to read that way!  I think I may
> have it fixed.  For some reason, and I'm not good enough with this computer
> stuff to know how, but I think it was set for HTML instead of plain text.
> If you notice it has not cleared up, please let me know.

> I sent this msg to you directly, but it came back and now I see why.  Just
> hope this is fixed.
> Jeanne  http://www.dcr.net/~victoria/sb/
> -----Original Message-----


> Date: Thursday, October 15, 1998 8:54 AM
> Subject: Re: What's your fave polyclay and why?

> >Hi Jeanne,

> >Your last couple of newsgroup messages have been up to 5 screens wide
> >on my monitor!!!  Are you doing something differently?

Hi, Jeanne;

The "Voice of Recent Experience" speaks up! :-)  Changing to Plain Text
gets rid of all of the HTML stuff (extraneous pages of text).
Unfortunately, in my browser/reader, it also means I can't format a line
of text for hot-links (URL's)!

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Cheryl Hah » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> I've always been hooked on Cernit -- it's easy to handle but not sticky
> soft like Sculpey can get with hot hands.  The colors are remarkably
> lovely.   My only peeve with it is the difficulty in getting it!

> Kelly

Kelly, get your hands on a Rio Grande catalog. Cernit is the ONLY
polymer clay they carry!
 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Kell » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


I know -- and I can get it from a couple of people by mail besides RG -- but
I wanna get in my CAR and go get it.   I want it HERE and I want it
NOW...!!!   <pouting>  ;o)

Quote:

> Kelly, get your hands on a Rio Grande catalog. Cernit is the ONLY
> polymer clay they carry!

--
Kelly

The new Polymer Clay Color Chip Chart
HOLIDAY SPECIAL! See website below --
http://www.jewlart.com/polyclay/

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Helen Fleisch » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:58:38 -0700, Cheryl Hahn

Quote:

>The "Voice of Recent Experience" speaks up! :-)  Changing to Plain Text
>gets rid of all of the HTML stuff (extraneous pages of text).
>Unfortunately, in my browser/reader, it also means I can't format a line
>of text for hot-links (URL's)!

 If you type a url or email address correctly most reader and browser
programs will show it up as a hot link whether the message is in html or
not. The one I use certainly does. (Agent)


 Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
 Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Cheryl Hah » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:


> > On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:58:38 -0700, Cheryl Hahn

> > >The "Voice of Recent Experience" speaks up! :-)  Changing to Plain Text
> > >gets rid of all of the HTML stuff (extraneous pages of text).
> > >Unfortunately, in my browser/reader, it also means I can't format a line
> > >of text for hot-links (URL's)!

> >  If you type a url or email address correctly most reader and browser
> > programs will show it up as a hot link whether the message is in html or
> > not. The one I use certainly does. (Agent)


> >  Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> >  Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA

> Well, Helen, let's test it! Here's my url:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cherylhahn/polymer.htm

> Let me know if it works!

HEY!! It worked!!
 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Cheryl Hah » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


I know... I know... Poor, baby... I want it, too, and no one in the San
Francisco Bay Area carries it. So, I order it from Rio Grande, and I
have to wait for 2 days. ::sigh::  Order LOTS of it, then you'll have it
on hand!
Quote:

> I know -- and I can get it from a couple of people by mail besides RG -- but
> I wanna get in my CAR and go get it.   I want it HERE and I want it
> NOW...!!!   <pouting>  ;o)

> > Kelly, get your hands on a Rio Grande catalog. Cernit is the ONLY
> > polymer clay they carry!

> --
> Kelly

> The new Polymer Clay Color Chip Chart
> HOLIDAY SPECIAL! See website below --
> http://www.jewlart.com/polyclay/

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Cheryl Hah » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:58:38 -0700, Cheryl Hahn

> >The "Voice of Recent Experience" speaks up! :-)  Changing to Plain Text
> >gets rid of all of the HTML stuff (extraneous pages of text).
> >Unfortunately, in my browser/reader, it also means I can't format a line
> >of text for hot-links (URL's)!

>  If you type a url or email address correctly most reader and browser
> programs will show it up as a hot link whether the message is in html or
> not. The one I use certainly does. (Agent)


>  Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
>  Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA

Well, Helen, let's test it! Here's my url:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cherylhahn/polymer.htm

Let me know if it works!

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Paula K. Singe » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Anybody have an address, phone number or web address for Rio Grande?  I want
to try using Cernit and nobody around here (NJ area) carries it.  Right now I
am using Sculpey III and Premo.  Thanks.

                                                            Paula

Quote:


> > I've always been hooked on Cernit -- it's easy to handle but not sticky
> > soft like Sculpey can get with hot hands.  The colors are remarkably
> > lovely.   My only peeve with it is the difficulty in getting it!

> > Kelly

> Kelly, get your hands on a Rio Grande catalog. Cernit is the ONLY
> polymer clay they carry!

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by Cheryl Hah » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00


1-800-545-6566
http://www.riogrande.com

That should help!!  By the way, I have their catalogue in front of me.
Their 65-gram bars work out to about $1.30 (or less) apiece.  (Sculpey
III is 56-grams per bar.) You can order their catalogue from either
their toll-free number OR online.

Cheryl

Quote:

> Anybody have an address, phone number or web address for Rio Grande?  I want
> to try using Cernit and nobody around here (NJ area) carries it.  Right now I
> am using Sculpey III and Premo.  Thanks.

>                                                             Paula



> > > I've always been hooked on Cernit -- it's easy to handle but not sticky
> > > soft like Sculpey can get with hot hands.  The colors are remarkably
> > > lovely.   My only peeve with it is the difficulty in getting it!

> > > Kelly

> > Kelly, get your hands on a Rio Grande catalog. Cernit is the ONLY
> > polymer clay they carry!

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by RSPIE » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Paula,
You can also get Cernit by mail.  One source, Polymer Clay Express is right in
Freehold, NJ, so shipping should be cheap and fast.  Their  URL is:
http://www.polymerclayexpress.com/

Randi

 
 
 

What's your fave polyclay and why?

Post by J J J Ja » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Don't you have to have a resale number to buy from Rio Grande?

In case you don't, or if you're also interested in a bunch of other polymer
stuff, try the Clay Factory:  www.clayfactoryinc.com

Quote:

>1-800-545-6566
>http://www.riogrande.com
>That should help!!  By the way, I have their catalogue in front of me.
>Their 65-gram bars work out to about $1.30 (or less) apiece.  (Sculpey
>III is 56-grams per bar.) You can order their catalogue from either
>their toll-free number OR online.

Jami Miller