Odd shaped slices

Odd shaped slices

Post by IrishRos » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Ok - newbie question..

I was looking at some of Rebecca's face cane slices and it was quite
apparent that they were not in the round.  (I'm quite observant)  =)

I'm assuming that these faces were once surrounded by the outline colour
for the purposes of make and "shrinking" the cane, but the outline was
trimmed after the cane was sliced??????

(They look terrific btw!)

Linda

"Not Everything that is beautiful is good.....

 
 
 

Odd shaped slices

Post by scott & iren » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00


IrishRose wrote

Quote:
>I'm assuming that these faces were once surrounded by the outline colour
>for the purposes of make and "shrinking" the cane, but the outline was
>trimmed after the cane was sliced??????

That's one of several ways to do it.

What I generally do is make a face cane without hair (or a cat face cane
with no ears), reduce it in size, and then add hair (ears) to the reduced
cane.

Hope this helps,
Irene in NC
--
to email, remove first x from address

 
 
 

Odd shaped slices

Post by The Crafty Ow » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00




Quote:
>I'm assuming that these faces were once surrounded by the outline colour
>for the purposes of make and "shrinking" the cane, but the outline was
>trimmed after the cane was sliced??????

Don't know for sure, of course, but could have been the 'cornstarch all
over outside, make an easy shape to reduce with extra clay, reduce, peel
off extra clay' technique. Saves trying to trim it all off.
                   ___
                  <*,*>
                  {'-'}     The Crafty Owl
                  -"-"-
 
 
 

Odd shaped slices

Post by ARKNo » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Linda,
If you're talking about the faces at my website with all the hairdos, this is
what I did:

I reduced the faces (w/o hair) to the desired size and then built the hairdos
with tiny canes that were completely reduced already.  That complete, I just
sliced the faces, hair and all.  I only work about 6 or 7 inches at a time...;)


http://members.aol.com/arknogy/index.htm
**If you'd like to know when my website changes or when I'm teaching classes in
So. Calif., email me and I'll put you on my list.  

Quote:
>I was looking at some of Rebecca's face cane slices and it was quite
>apparent that they were not in the round.  (I'm quite observant)  =)

>I'm assuming that these faces were once surrounded by the outline colour
>for the purposes of make and "shrinking" the cane, but the outline was
>trimmed after the cane was sliced??????

>(They look terrific btw!)

>Linda

 
 
 

Odd shaped slices

Post by IrishRos » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> Linda,
> If you're talking about the faces at my website with all the hairdos, this is
> what I did:

> I reduced the faces (w/o hair) to the desired size and then built the
> hairdos with tiny canes that were completely reduced already.  That
> complete, I just sliced the faces, hair and all.  I only work about 6
> or 7 inches at a time...;)

Yep, those were the ones.  Thanks!

(Oh and thanks for the other methods suggested by Irene and Crafty Owl)

Linda


"Not Everything that is beautiful is good.....

 
 
 

Odd shaped slices

Post by Neari » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Margaret Regan teaches a class on releasing odd-shaped canes -- basically, you
build your image, and cut a "frame" for it out of s***clay, then insert the
image into the "frame" -- liberally dusted with cornstarch -- and reduce the
whole assembly.  As long as you cut it open frequently, and re-dust, you get
pretty spectacular results!  It took me a couple of trys, but it's a technique
that I've fallen in love with.
 
 
 

Odd shaped slices

Post by Bozo » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
(Nearing) writes:
>cut it open frequently, and re-dust

Could you describe the process in more detail? Please?]

The "frame" is the shape of a border that pads the figure out into a circle or
square?  What do you mean by "cut it open"?  How frequently?  At the end do you
remove the frame before or after slicing the cane?  does the frame completely
surround the shape or just mostly?  would a circlular frame around a square
cane cover the corners of the square?

I have Tesselmania, a program for designing patterns like those Escher lizards.
 It would be nice to be able to make the lizards (or whatever) in a cane then
rotate and flip them into their places.

Flint

 
 
 

Odd shaped slices

Post by Neari » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00


This in response to a request to describe Margaret Regan's released cane
technique more clearly --   this works best if you build your cane in a thick
slab -- so that it is flat on the ends and maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick.  Build a
slab of s***clay that is the same thickness, a regular shape for reducing
(i.e. square or round...), and significantly larger than your cane.  Carefully
mark the shape of your cane on the center of the s***slab, and cut out inside
the marking, so that you can insert the cane into the slab.  To insert the
cane, you may have to cut through one of the edges of the slab and "open" it.
Once the slab is cut to the right shape, liberally dust the sides of the cane
with corn starch, insert it into the slab, and reduce as you normally would,
EXCEPT that periodically you must carefully slit the s***clay open
lengthwise, remove the cane, and re-dust it's sides to prevent it from adhering
to the scrap.  If you cut carefully, you can feel where the casing ends and the
cane begins.

when you cut the cane, cut the whole thing, and pop the design out from the
slab.

It doesn't seem to me that she travels around as much as some of the other
teachers, but it's really worth watching for her classes -- she was a wonderful
teacher, and made the technique (and other ones that she had developed) seem
really clear.  I only wish that I could have taken her acoustical eggs class as
well.