What is THIS?

What is THIS?

Post by CWMODE » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 04:25:29




<< But radio doesn't work (very well) in the Gundam universe...>>

Radar is the technology that doesn't work well. The radios are fine all the
time.

CWMODELS

 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by George Caswel » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 04:28:34



Quote:
> I'll explain to you EXACTLY why some people consider THE O (or any thing else
> like that) as a cool Mobile Suit.

> In terms of "practical" mechanical designs concepts, a humanoid visual is an
> extremely inefficient design. Why have robots walk with human like legs when
> you can simply transport them more easily with tank treads or hovercraft-like
> mechanism. In a real land battle a bipedal design would move way too slowly
> against anything that don't have legs. Not to mention that most mobile suits

   I think one practical advantage to a bipedal design is that it can stand
much taller than wheel or track craft, and on a wider variety of terrain,
without losing balance.  Of course, I don't really know that this would be
advantage enough to make it -practical-...

Quote:
> are mainly used in space anyway, so why have legs at all then? A Gundam (and

   Er, if it runs out of vernier fuel, it can kick its legs and swim to
safety!  Yeah!  :)  Or maybe it provides some much-needed source of extra
mass, to keep its acceleration from getting out of control.  :)

---GEC
Projects page: http://tetsujin.sourceforge.net/
(M-x depeche-mode)
"Porque ma?ana a lo mejor hay un entierro"

 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by James C. Neverman » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 04:10:35


Heh... one aspect of Gerwalks [in the Macross universe] which occured
to me was that the enlisted techs who service them could tell the
officer pilots to "Take a flying leap"... and not have to worry about
being written up for insubordination!

--
Jim Nevermann
[usual disclaimers]

 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by James C. Neverman » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 04:24:56


Quote:

> Heres a cpl of pics of the 1/220 kit

> http://www.hobbyfan.com/catalog/rb127b.jpg
> http://www.hobbyfan.com/catalog/rb127c.jpg

Resin or styrene? [I'm pretty certain of the answer, but have to ask
anyway].

A ponderous, lumbering sort of thing, isn't it? But I've always liked
it since coming across an illustration in Model Graphix back around
'89.

For my tastes, the custom, non-run-of-the-mill designs [kits and `one
offs'] in Gundam Sentinel were always more desirable than so many of
the mainstream kits... very inspirational for scratch-building/heavy
modifying devotees.

--
Jim Nevermann
[usual disclaimers]

 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by MSZ-006C » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 15:16:24



Quote:
> That is because much of the subjects in Gundam Sentinel are either scratch
> built or resin kits. For the most part because it is conceived outside of
> BANDAI/Sunrise toy-anime-complex, it has always been treated like an
adopted
> child...

> B-Club has released a handful of resin kits, although most of the more
> interesting items (Gundam Mk.V, Xeku Ein, Xeku Zwei, etc. are available
only
> in resin, and only as event-only releases.) The BANDAI release of 1/144
are
> nothing less than pathetic.

Wasn't it MGOCK (Model Graphix Original Cast Kit) instead of B-Club ? These
were limited released kits, and I know there were others produced by other
small companies, only for events, as you said, but the only Gundam Sentinel
kits B-Club ever released were conversion parts for the MSZ-006A1 Zeta Plus
and the RMS-154 Barzam Refine Type (was there a S-Gundam upgrade parts sets
as well ? I don't remember).

--
MSZ-006C1 aka T-J1
Director of Anaheim Electronics MS Developpement Division
- End of transmission -

 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by David Chi » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:40:26


Considering that both operates on radio wave (one is used to encapsulate
verbal communication while the other is used for proximity detection) I fail
to see how one would work but the other does not. There is a reason why
SkinTouch and Laser Communication are the preferred method of communication
in Gundam Universe...


Quote:

> << But radio doesn't work (very well) in the Gundam universe...>>

> Radar is the technology that doesn't work well. The radios are fine all
the
> time.

> CWMODELS

 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by David Chi » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:44:28


Resin, of course ^^. For a 1/22 scale kit, it came in three bags of parts (I
think it's about 80 pieces in all. At 1/220 scale, it is smaller than I
would've liked. But then, 1/100 runs about us$600.)



Quote:
> Resin or styrene? [I'm pretty certain of the answer, but have to ask
> anyway].

 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by David Chi » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:48:06


For the most part, the head helmets are some what generic (exists in nearly
all cultures) so I am not willing to make that kind of connection, but The-O
is a dead give away...



Quote:

> > Actually, I believe the design is inspired by ancient Japanese  royal
court
> > dress (it's a formal wear of sorts) for men. (People who have watch
Japanese
> > programs knows exactly what I am talking about...)
> I agree completely. The helmet on `Marsai' [Z Gundam] seems almost a
> direct lift from Japanese samurai armor helmet. The ubiquitous "V"
> antennae on Gundam heads looks to be from the same helmet, except that
> they go to a point instead of splayed out at the end.

 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by David Chi » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:53:09



Quote:


> > B-Club has released a handful of resin kits, although most of the more
> > interesting items (Gundam Mk.V, Xeku Ein, Xeku Zwei, etc. are available
> > only in resin, and only as event-only releases.) The BANDAI release of
> > 1/144 are nothing less than pathetic.
> Wasn't it MGOCK (Model Graphix Original Cast Kit) instead of B-Club ?
These
> were limited released kits, and I know there were others produced by other
> small companies, only for events, as you said, but the only Gundam
Sentinel
> kits B-Club ever released were conversion parts for the MSZ-006A1 Zeta
Plus
> and the RMS-154 Barzam Refine Type (was there a S-Gundam upgrade parts
sets
> as well ? I don't remember).

Indeed B-Club had released some detail-up parts for the 1/144 BANDAI plastic
releases some time ago and more recently (as in past several years) S Gundam
and EX-S Gundam in 1/220. As you pointed out, MGOCK and numerous others are
event-only releases and command a (VERY) high price in used market (Y60,000
and up for 1/144 Gundam Mk.V or 1/144 Xeku Eins)
 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by DAS8 » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 09:00:32


http://www.geocities.com/gundamjoel/images/whats_this.jpg
Going back to the pic, i thonk its the xamel judging by the tail thingy and its
shoulder pads.
 
 
 

What is THIS?

Post by Mark Wilso » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 10:01:42


On Thu, 31 May 2001 15:28:34 -0400, George Caswell

Quote:

>   I think one practical advantage to a bipedal design is that it can stand
>much taller than wheel or track craft, and on a wider variety of terrain,
>without losing balance.  Of course, I don't really know that this would be
>advantage enough to make it -practical-...

Aside from making you the most obvious target on any battlefield.
Last time I checked that was "bad".

Quote:
>> are mainly used in space anyway, so why have legs at all then? A Gundam (and

>   Er, if it runs out of vernier fuel, it can kick its legs and swim to
>safety!  Yeah!  :)  Or maybe it provides some much-needed source of extra
>mass, to keep its acceleration from getting out of control.  :)

>---GEC
>Projects page: http://tetsujin.sourceforge.net/
>(M-x depeche-mode)
>"Porque ma?ana a lo mejor hay un entierro"

Mark Wilson

One time, at Band Camp........

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmwilson2/Models.htm

RAAM FAQ:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mmwilson2/RAAMFAQ/index.html