Original vs Recast, opinions?

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Eric Wen » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:42:45



What are your general opinions on buying original kits compared to recasts?
There are some kits I'm interested in, but I'm just not sure...
I suppose I traditionally go for originals, since I don't support
bootlegging and the like, but some kits you just can't get otherwise, right?
What do you guys usually do?  Are there significant differences in recasts?

eric

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Rogu » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:54:12


Well, i purchase both recast and original
and to tell you the truth, if the recast was done in japan or hk, than they
are the same
quality as the original, they use the same white odourless resin that the
originals use
but others done in korea or someother place and companies like SOL
are absolute crap, they use brittle yellow resin

with recast, you dont get the nice packaging, nice instructions, but some
original namely musashiya
which is a very small company have average packaging and photocopy
instructions

i buy recast when i cant get the original anymore or if the original is just
way too expensive
e.g, normal 1/6 is under 10000yen but some are selling for 15000 yen, so its
cheaper that way
also, i buy recast when i want an event only item

its really up to you whether u buy recast or not(ethical and m***issues)
Des

Quote:
> What are your general opinions on buying original kits compared to
recasts?
> There are some kits I'm interested in, but I'm just not sure...
> I suppose I traditionally go for originals, since I don't support
> bootlegging and the like, but some kits you just can't get otherwise,
right?
> What do you guys usually do?  Are there significant differences in
recasts?

> eric


 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by CWMODE » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:50:26


As far as your question regarding recasts is concerned, it is rather difficult
to answer.  

"Ben Di" kits themselves are pretty crappy knockoffs to begin with, and in
general most plastic injection kits are usually too horrible to even consider
buying.

We all know that recasts on garage kits are definitely cheaper than originals,
so that is not an issue. In terms of buying recasts for garage kits, only 3
main points do need to be considered.

(1)Material--- Make sure that you are definitely buying a kit casted in good
quality resin. Do not purchase kits casted in poly, ABS, or plaster. Those
materials are in general hard to work with. They are very difficult in cutting,
sanding, gluing, drilling, and fixing.

(2)Casting--- Check for any large gaps, air bubbles, or noticeable mold lines.
The more you find on a recast kit, the harder it will be to repair them.
Although I have personally seen many recasts that comes out of the mold looking
A LOT better than the original kits. Many Hong Kong recaster will even go
through the trouble to clean, fix, rework, and even adding details to certain
parts before recasting a kit.

(3)Availability--- From my experience, I tend to buy more character figures
than mecha figures in recasts. I find the molding more acceptable on figures
than on mechas. Less details are also lost on a character model. With Mecha
kits, I pretty much end up buying originals all the time. The only time I would
buy a recast mecha kit is when it is out of production, or on a very hard to
find limited basis. Garage kits hardly receives reissues, and if they do, it
comes on rare occasions.

So the idea is just to check smartly before you buy any garage kits, whether
its resin or vinyl, recasts or original.

CWMODELS

PS. And for those of you who feel the primal need to scream the word "illegal"
on this topic, SAVE IT. I've heard it too many times when something like this
gets  discussed in the newsgroup already.


<< What are your general opinions on buying original kits compared to recasts?
There are some kits I'm interested in, but I'm just not sure...
I suppose I traditionally go for originals, since I don't support
bootlegging and the like, but some kits you just can't get otherwise, right?
What do you guys usually do?  Are there significant differences in recasts?

eric
 >>

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Nevin Won » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:39:15


Quote:

> PS. And for those of you who feel the primal need to scream the word "illegal"
> on this topic, SAVE IT. I've heard it too many times when something like this
> gets  discussed in the newsgroup already.

Are you refering to me? (O_O... kidding?)

Well, actually, I buy A LOT OF recasts... I am only a poor student. I
can't afford the originals. Moreover, it is too easy for me to buy
recasts.

Just make sure you check the parts carefully to make sure the quality is
good before you pay for it. Quality of HK recasts is supreme!

Yours,
Nev
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engineering

Nevolution Sci-fi & Mecha Model Making | http://nev.hello.to/
The Model Making Ring                  |
http://modelmakingring.hello.to/

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Giuliano Moschin » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:48:51


Do you actually get to see the recast kits before you buy them, like at a real store?

Or do you do the mail order thing?

Quote:


> > PS. And for those of you who feel the primal need to scream the word "illegal"
> > on this topic, SAVE IT. I've heard it too many times when something like this
> > gets  discussed in the newsgroup already.

> Are you refering to me? (O_O... kidding?)

> Well, actually, I buy A LOT OF recasts... I am only a poor student. I
> can't afford the originals. Moreover, it is too easy for me to buy
> recasts.

> Just make sure you check the parts carefully to make sure the quality is
> good before you pay for it. Quality of HK recasts is supreme!

> Yours,
> Nev
> --
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Engineering

> Nevolution Sci-fi & Mecha Model Making | http://nev.hello.to/
> The Model Making Ring                  |
> http://modelmakingring.hello.to/

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by CWMODE » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 02:12:28


I do both. When I mail order online, I usually take a leap of faith. And so far
I never  had any problems.

CWMODELS


<< Do you actually get to see the recast kits before you buy them, like at a
real store?

Or do you do the mail order thing?>>

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Furba » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:38:19


Quote:
>good before you pay for it. Quality of HK recasts is supreme!

I guess that would depend. Amaze and C&T are great, so I've heard,
while the rest are so-so. We just had a discussion on our board about
it, you may want to check it out at

http://machinemess.cjb.net

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Furba » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:38:48


Quote:
>good before you pay for it. Quality of HK recasts is supreme!

I guess that would depend. Amaze and C&T are great, so I've heard,
while the rest are so-so. We just had a discussion on our board about
it, you may want to check it out at

http://machinemess.cjb.net

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Ben L » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 11:44:45


Hi! Do you (or does anyone else) know of any Taiwan- or Hong Kong-based
websites that make and sell recasts? Thanks in advance. BTW, I can read
Chinese.

P.S. I already know about AnimeBox of Hong Kong. (I still don't understand
why they sell recasts that cost almost as much as the originals.)

And yesterday I found a Taiwanese website selling recasts with very
reasonable prices.
http://www.netvigator.com.tw/~gkmall/index1.htm
But they don't take international orders. :(

Thanks!

Bye! Ben Lu.


Quote:
> I do both. When I mail order online, I usually take a leap of faith. And
so far
> I never  had any problems.

> CWMODELS


> << Do you actually get to see the recast kits before you buy them, like at
a
> real store?

> Or do you do the mail order thing?>>

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Wayne C. Morri » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:58:13




Quote:
> What are your general opinions on buying original kits compared to recasts?
> There are some kits I'm interested in, but I'm just not sure...
> I suppose I traditionally go for originals, since I don't support
> bootlegging and the like, but some kits you just can't get otherwise, right?
> What do you guys usually do?  Are there significant differences in recasts?

I think all recasters should burn in hell, and anyone who knowingly buys
a recast kit should be forced to demolish their kits with a sledgehammer.

If there's a kit I really, really want, and I can't find the original, I
just don't buy it.  Period.  I take the money I would've spent on it and
buy something else instead.  There's *always* another kit that I want
just as badly and which *is* still available.

And yes, the recast kits I've seen were all of inferior quality compared
to legit kits.  Mold lines tend to be more pronounced, the shapes of
parts tend to be distorted, and parts don't fit together as well.

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by CWMODE » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:45:32


I buy from animebox as well.

CWMODELS


<< Hi! Do you (or does anyone else) know of any Taiwan- or Hong Kong-based
websites that make and sell recasts? Thanks in advance. BTW, I can read
Chinese >>

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Ben L » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:37:12



Quote:
> I buy from animebox as well.

> CWMODELS

Hi! You do? Don't you find their prices a little unreasonable?

Thanks for the reply!

Bye! Ben Lu.

Quote:


> << Hi! Do you (or does anyone else) know of any Taiwan- or Hong Kong-based
> websites that make and sell recasts? Thanks in advance. BTW, I can read
> Chinese >>

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Thomas Koh » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:44:26




Quote:


> > What are your general opinions on buying original kits compared to
recasts?
> > There are some kits I'm interested in, but I'm just not sure...
> > I suppose I traditionally go for originals, since I don't support
> > bootlegging and the like, but some kits you just can't get otherwise,
right?
> > What do you guys usually do?  Are there significant differences in
recasts?

> I think all recasters should burn in hell, and anyone who knowingly buys
> a recast kit should be forced to demolish their kits with a sledgehammer.

> If there's a kit I really, really want, and I can't find the original, I
> just don't buy it.  Period.  I take the money I would've spent on it and
> buy something else instead.  There's *always* another kit that I want
> just as badly and which *is* still available.

> And yes, the recast kits I've seen were all of inferior quality compared
> to legit kits.  Mold lines tend to be more pronounced, the shapes of
> parts tend to be distorted, and parts don't fit together as well.

so ??? if people want to buy recast of kits that are otherwise unavailable i
can understand that but if they do it just bcos its cheaper then they gotta
cope with the inferior quality and its their fault !!!
 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Nevin Won » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:54:32



Quote:
> Do you actually get to see the recast kits before you buy them, like at a
real store?

Hey hey hey, I go buy them at a REAL store.

Anyway, what is an "unreal" store? #8D

Nev
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------


Nevolution Sci-fi & Mecha Model Making | http://nev.hello.to/
The Model Making Ring                  | http://modelmakingring.hello.to/

 
 
 

Original vs Recast, opinions?

Post by Giuliano Moschin » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:16:21


Sorry, I meant "real" as in a physical store you can walk into, versus a mail-order shop.

-Giuliano

Quote:



> > Do you actually get to see the recast kits before you buy them, like at a
> real store?

> Hey hey hey, I go buy them at a REAL store.

> Anyway, what is an "unreal" store? #8D

> Nev
> --
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------


> Nevolution Sci-fi & Mecha Model Making | http://nev.hello.to/
> The Model Making Ring                  | http://modelmakingring.hello.to/