Leeward Islands confusion

Leeward Islands confusion

Post by Dave » Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:49:45



Here's a question and due to Scott catalog confusing listing, I must ask the
group.  Perhaps someone with a Stanley Gibbons catalog that covers Leeward
Islands has a better reference.
     I have 1d King George V definitive stamps (Scott type A5).  Both
distinctly have the multiple crown & scrpt CA watermark (wmk 4).  One has
the value tablet with shading and outlined numeral.  The other has no
shading and solid colour number.  Going by Scott's description they should
both be Scott # 63.  Obviously since the design is different, they cannot.
     Anyone know what gives here?  Is Scott in error or is one stamp and
error (or something else?)?

Dave (Scott is why I use NC Yang for Hong Kong)

 
 
 

Leeward Islands confusion

Post by Eric Busta » Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:43:34


Quote:

> Here's a question and due to Scott catalog confusing listing, I must ask the
> group.  Perhaps someone with a Stanley Gibbons catalog that covers Leeward
> Islands has a better reference.
>      I have 1d King George V definitive stamps (Scott type A5).  Both
> distinctly have the multiple crown & scrpt CA watermark (wmk 4).  One has
> the value tablet with shading and outlined numeral.  The other has no
> shading and solid colour number.  Going by Scott's description they should
> both be Scott # 63.  Obviously since the design is different, they cannot.
>      Anyone know what gives here?  Is Scott in error or is one stamp and
> error (or something else?)?

SG (1994 Commonwealth) seems to indicate that the 1p value only comes
with the shading and outlined numeral.  The tablet with no shading and a
solid color numeral is used for some of the other values, but not the
1p.  Both Scott and SG refer to two different die types, but those
differ in parts of the design other than the value tablets.

= Eric

 
 
 

Leeward Islands confusion

Post by Dave » Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:03:01


     In that case, I have a very odd 1p with the solid numeral in the value
tablet.  It is the only one of this type I have (a total of six ot the other
cataloged variety).
     I shall have to find a spot to post it for all to view.  I rechecked
the watermark again with same results.
Dave
Thanks Eric!

Quote:

> > Here's a question and due to Scott catalog confusing listing, I must ask
the
> > group.  Perhaps someone with a Stanley Gibbons catalog that covers
Leeward
> > Islands has a better reference.
> >      I have 1d King George V definitive stamps (Scott type A5).  Both
> > distinctly have the multiple crown & scrpt CA watermark (wmk 4).  One
has
> > the value tablet with shading and outlined numeral.  The other has no
> > shading and solid colour number.  Going by Scott's description they
should
> > both be Scott # 63.  Obviously since the design is different, they
cannot.
> >      Anyone know what gives here?  Is Scott in error or is one stamp and
> > error (or something else?)?

> SG (1994 Commonwealth) seems to indicate that the 1p value only comes
> with the shading and outlined numeral.  The tablet with no shading and a
> solid color numeral is used for some of the other values, but not the
> 1p.  Both Scott and SG refer to two different die types, but those
> differ in parts of the design other than the value tablets.

> = Eric

 
 
 

Leeward Islands confusion

Post by Brian Rido » Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:03:10


Quote:

>     In that case, I have a very odd 1p with the solid numeral in the value
>tablet.  It is the only one of this type I have (a total of six ot the other
>cataloged variety).
>     I shall have to find a spot to post it for all to view.  I rechecked
>the watermark again with same results.
>Dave
>Thanks Eric!



>> > Here's a question and due to Scott catalog confusing listing, I must ask
>the
>> > group.  Perhaps someone with a Stanley Gibbons catalog that covers
>Leeward
>> > Islands has a better reference.
>> >      I have 1d King George V definitive stamps (Scott type A5).  Both
>> > distinctly have the multiple crown & scrpt CA watermark (wmk 4).  One
>has
>> > the value tablet with shading and outlined numeral.  The other has no
>> > shading and solid colour number.  Going by Scott's description they
>should
>> > both be Scott # 63.  Obviously since the design is different, they
>cannot.
>> >      Anyone know what gives here?  Is Scott in error or is one stamp and
>> > error (or something else?)?

>> SG (1994 Commonwealth) seems to indicate that the 1p value only comes
>> with the shading and outlined numeral.  The tablet with no shading and a
>> solid color numeral is used for some of the other values, but not the
>> 1p.  Both Scott and SG refer to two different die types, but those
>> differ in parts of the design other than the value tablets.

>> = Eric

   All the 1d values should have the shaded  tablet - (The 1 1/2 d  Red  has  unshaded Tablet  and solid colour )

 Brian

 
 
 

Leeward Islands confusion

Post by Dave » Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:29:24


     Oh my face is red now having not seen the 1/2 which was obscured quite
well by the cancel.  :-(
Dave

Quote:


> >     In that case, I have a very odd 1p with the solid numeral in the
value
> >tablet.  It is the only one of this type I have (a total of six ot the
other
> >cataloged variety).
> >     I shall have to find a spot to post it for all to view.  I rechecked
> >the watermark again with same results.
> >Dave
> >Thanks Eric!



> >> > Here's a question and due to Scott catalog confusing listing, I must
ask
> >the
> >> > group.  Perhaps someone with a Stanley Gibbons catalog that covers
> >Leeward
> >> > Islands has a better reference.
> >> >      I have 1d King George V definitive stamps (Scott type A5).  Both
> >> > distinctly have the multiple crown & scrpt CA watermark (wmk 4).  One
> >has
> >> > the value tablet with shading and outlined numeral.  The other has no
> >> > shading and solid colour number.  Going by Scott's description they
> >should
> >> > both be Scott # 63.  Obviously since the design is different, they
> >cannot.
> >> >      Anyone know what gives here?  Is Scott in error or is one stamp
and
> >> > error (or something else?)?

> >> SG (1994 Commonwealth) seems to indicate that the 1p value only comes
> >> with the shading and outlined numeral.  The tablet with no shading and
a
> >> solid color numeral is used for some of the other values, but not the
> >> 1p.  Both Scott and SG refer to two different die types, but those
> >> differ in parts of the design other than the value tablets.

> >> = Eric

>    All the 1d values should have the shaded  tablet - (The 1 1/2 d  Red

has  unshaded Tablet  and solid colour )

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

>  Brian

 
 
 

Leeward Islands confusion

Post by Chris Dor » Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:37:14


Quote:

> Oh my face is red now having not seen the 1/2 which was obscured quite
> well by the cancel.  :-(
> Dave

It really is enormously comforting to know that I'm not the only one
who drops clangers of this magnitude in public.

Chris

 
 
 

Leeward Islands confusion

Post by Rodne » Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:57:45


| It really is enormously comforting to know that I'm not the only one
| who drops clangers of this magnitude in public.
| Chris

To err, is human.
A lot of really nice people avoid posting on newsgroups
in case their query appears frivolous or to their mind, stupid.
What a waste of talent.

I am always reminded of John Cleese in a "Fish called Wanda"
when, besotted by a beautiful woman, drove off in his Jaguar
leaving his briefcase on the roof of the car. What a hoot!

Bring on the clangers! I say.