America's #1 Disappearing Job - Postal Worker

America's #1 Disappearing Job - Postal Worker

Post by Victor Mant » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 12:16:46



"1. Postal Service Workers
- Pct. decrease: -26.4%
- 2010 jobs: 524,200
- Total job loss (2010-2020): -138,600
- Median annual wage: $53,090

It is not news to anyone that the U.S. Postal Service is suffering. In
August of this year, the USPS announced that it was losing $57 million a day
in the third quarter. The USPS cannot afford to hire more workers and many
jobs will be replaced by machines to save money on salaries and benefits.
There will be a decline of 48.5% in the number of mail sorters and
processors because their functions are being automated. Similarly, there
will be a decrease of 48.2% in the number of postal service clerks as a
result of the drop in first-class mail use. The number of mail carriers is
expected to fall by 12%, as their areas for delivery can expand as the
volumes of mail contract. Because postal workers are considered government
employees, their wages and benefits are quite good for the lack of an
education requirement."

Source: http://247wallst.com/2012/08/29/americas-10-disappearing-jobs/3/

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://reds-on.postalstamps.biz/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.sna-on.postalstamps.biz/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------  

 
 
 

America's #1 Disappearing Job - Postal Worker

Post by Sir F.A. Rie » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:45:32


Quote:
>- Median annual wage: $53,090

Its difficult to say for certain what the average postal employee
compensation is because they use temporary employees (the Cato
Institute estimates $79,000).

Quote:
>It is not news to anyone that the U.S. Postal Service is suffering.

However Congress and Bammity will NOT allow changes to help the
system, such as stopping Saturday delivery. If you've ever scheduled
any workers, you can do a great job with 5 day weeks, not with 6 or 7.
6 day 'weeks' either require overtime or additional workers,
disproportionate to the actual coverage obtained.

Additionally they will again default on their pre-payment of
retirement benefits - something NO OTHER business has to do. They even
have to pre-pay for 'future estimated workers'! [Before you yelp,
other businesses now pay in for CURRENT workers according to their
CURRENT level of employment]

 
 
 

America's #1 Disappearing Job - Postal Worker

Post by Victor Mant » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 06:52:59




Quote:
>>- Median annual wage: $53,090
> It's difficult to say for certain what the average postal employee
> compensation is because they use temporary employees (the Cato
> Institute estimates $79,000).

I found an estimate of $40K here:
http://www.indeed.com/salary/Postal-Worker.html
Have no idea who is cheating whom...

Quote:
>>It is not news to anyone that the U.S. Postal Service is suffering.
> However Congress and Bammity will NOT allow changes to help the
> system, such as stopping Saturday delivery. If you've ever scheduled
> any workers, you can do a great job with 5 day weeks, not with 6 or 7.
> 6 day 'weeks' either require overtime or additional workers,
> disproportionate to the actual coverage obtained.

Well, it was supposed that they deliver the post on Saturdays too, being
paid for it. Apparently, these days they have less letters to deliver.

Quote:
> Additionally they will again default on their pre-payment of
> retirement benefits - something NO OTHER business has to do. They even
> have to pre-pay for 'future estimated workers'! [Before you yelp,
> other businesses now pay in for CURRENT workers according to their
> CURRENT level of employment]

I found the article "Understanding the Post Office's Benefits Mess"
interesting:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-02/understanding-the-post-offic...

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://reds-on.postalstamps.biz/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.sna-on.postalstamps.biz/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------