Good Online Bookstores?

Good Online Bookstores?

Post by Michele Maur » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00



Did I hear someone say Zelazny? I could tell you a story of how I spent
5 years trying to get him to autograph a copy of VLA - got every single
NM author in the book except him - the man was a constant no-show...
until the one time I didn't bring the book and guess who finally shows
up at Bubonicon without warning? He passed a few months later and I
never got another chance. <sigh>

Have fun, Michele
--
Change NOSPAM to 'chaos' to reply via email.


Quote:
> Hi!
> I agree Addall is not as effective as people have said, many times the
> searches are inconclusive. They don't list some books from the
> booklisting services they say they do. It is just better just to check
> the book listing services personally, I personally like Alibris
> (http://www.alibris.com) and Bibliofind(http://www,bibliofind.com)
> Really good places for used books, although I order more stuff from
> Alibris.

> Tammy the Book Thief


> 145.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net>,



> > >  AddAll doesn't seem to work at all for me.  I did a search for
> "Emphyrio"
> > >(a Jack Vance title), and it found one book: "Cecil Essentials of
> Medicine".

> > I just did a search for "Zelazny" on addall.  It came up with one
book
> > over $100.  I know there a number of them on ABE.

> > Conclusion:  it really isn't doing a proper search.

> > >  I don't completely trust *any* of the sites that searches other
> sites.  If
> > >I really want a book, I make sure I search everywhere manually.

> > >  ---Mike



> > >> I also have used www.addall.com, it seems to work well. I
actually
> > >> prefer bookfinder (http://www.bookfinder.com) as it seems easier
> to use
> > >> and am much more used to it. The only fault is that it doesn't
> search
> > >> on as many booksites as adall. In fact it doesn't list my favored
> > >> bookstore Alibris(http://www.alibris.com) which I feel is one of
> the
> > >> better sites out there.
> > >> Leto
> > >> San Francisco'99



> > >> > Actually if you go to:

> > >> > http://www.addall.com/Used/

> > >> > It will search nearly all of the major online places such as
ABE,
> > >> Alibris,
> > >> > Bibliofind, etc in one simple search.  Has saved me lots of
> trouble.

> > >> > Cyndi

> > Later,
> > Scott

> > --
> > Scott Zrubek
> > ConCancun for WorldCon in 2003!
> > Zelazny Information: http://www.roger-zelazny.com

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

 
 
 

Good Online Bookstores?

Post by A2Gum » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Michele,

In reading the FAQs for the rec.collecting.books newsgroup, someone suggested
writing the author first in care of the publisher and asking to send the book
to be autographed. They said to send a stamped self addressed envelope for the
author's reply and explain you will include a prepaid envelope for returning
the book if the author agrees.  The person who wrote this said he always
removes the just jacket  before sending the book and has had very good results
doing this.  He stressed don't just send the book with the request because many
books are lost that way.  I realize it is too late for Zelazny but this may
help you in the future.

Ashley
American by birth.
Southern by the Grace of God.

 
 
 

Good Online Bookstores?

Post by Michele Maur » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Ashley, I was only a few miles from the publisher and the authors at the
time. <g> VLA is Very Large Array, a collection of short stories by New
Mexico science fiction authors (back when I lived in NM). There were at
least 10 booksignings that Zelazny was supposed to show up at, and which
he cancelled at the last minute. On top of that, every year he was
scheduled to show up at Bubonicon (local SF&F convention), and every
year he cancelled. Every year I brought the book and every year he
didn't show. Until that one time... but at least I got to hear him speak
at the con, and that was worth it!

I've got Saberhagen, and Williamson autographs, and I consider them two
of the greats in SF, so I can't feel too bad about it... Melinda
Snodgrass even personalized her signature - this book was not for
investment or resale, but because I'm such a fan of their works...

That books, and several autographed by Carlos Castenada (also
personalized), and a 1st Edition autographed Anne Rice are part of my
special collection of books!

Have fun, Michele
--
Change NOSPAM to 'chaos' to reply via email.


Quote:
> Michele,

> In reading the FAQs for the rec.collecting.books newsgroup, someone
suggested
> writing the author first in care of the publisher and asking to send
the book
> to be autographed. They said to send a stamped self addressed envelope
for the
> author's reply and explain you will include a prepaid envelope for
returning
> the book if the author agrees.  The person who wrote this said he
always
> removes the just jacket  before sending the book and has had very good
results
> doing this.  He stressed don't just send the book with the request
because many
> books are lost that way.  I realize it is too late for Zelazny but
this may
> help you in the future.

> Ashley
> American by birth.
> Southern by the Grace of God.

 
 
 

Good Online Bookstores?

Post by Rhianno » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> <snipped>
> That books, and several autographed by Carlos Castenada (also
> personalized), and a 1st Edition autographed Anne Rice are part of my
> special collection of books!

> Have fun, Michele
> --

Michele
Were you there for the signing of the Castaneda books? (Did you actually
see him?) He was infamous for not appearing in public and the only photo
that I know of him shows only his eye in reflection.  Just wondering.
Rhiannon
 
 
 

Good Online Bookstores?

Post by Michele Maur » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00


Ah... well... there's a story there too. My Dad was Castenada's travel
agent and booked his flights to Mexico for several years. My Dad, in a
fit of Dad-ness one day, picked up a few books, and next time Carlos
came in, had him autograph them for me. Several of them never made it
through the mail system, so someone is running around with two books
autographed to me, but 3 did make it.

Carlos also gave my Dad a wood cane he picked up somewhere and I'm still
trying to convince him it would look better in my house than his! <grin>

So no, I never met him, but my Dad met him quite often! I'll ask and see
if he has any pics of him. I was so surprised when Castenada died last
year... <bummer>

Have fun, Michele
--
Change NOSPAM to 'chaos' to reply via email.


Quote:


> > <snipped>
> > That books, and several autographed by Carlos Castenada (also
> > personalized), and a 1st Edition autographed Anne Rice are part of
my
> > special collection of books!

> > Have fun, Michele
> > --

> Michele
> Were you there for the signing of the Castaneda books? (Did you
actually
> see him?) He was infamous for not appearing in public and the only
photo
> that I know of him shows only his eye in reflection.  Just wondering.
> Rhiannon